The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2017 Traverse City Prospects Tourney

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

How about the camp invitee Schilkey? Scored the 3rd most goals in the Ncaa this year.  Put up 3 points.  

Not even on my radar. What else do you know about him?

7 hours ago, OBXer said:

Not even on my radar. What else do you know about him?

Nothing else, I had to google that.

googled some more.  Seems to be an unheralded guy, like most of the OSU hockey team, a captain twice, team top scorer most years, and plays hard.  

I had to really dig to find that little of information.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I looked at pages of stuff to find good information.  I didn't find a lot.  Nothing about why he wasn't ever drafted.

Sounds like a Derek Ryan kinda guy. Also wondering if he's headed back to OSU for his senior year.

Edited by top-shelf-1

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

How about the camp invitee Schilkey? Scored the 3rd most goals in the Ncaa this year.  Put up 3 points.  

Yeah, and he was sort of returning the favor from their 2 on 1 goal earlier. I take a pretty deep interest in Canes' prospects, but Schilkey? Everything I know about him came from the announcer last night and that was a couple of sentences. Undrafted, small guy. Lots to like, but super long shot for the NHL with all of our good prospects.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I looked at pages of stuff to find good information.  I didn't find a lot.  Nothing about why he wasn't ever drafted.

23yo, 5'10", 173 lbs.  Contributing factors?

36 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Yes the past 3 drafts yes he is too old.  I was referring to his HS graduation year or after his freshmen year at OSU

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Yes the past 3 drafts yes he is too old.  I was referring to his HS graduation year or after his freshmen year at OSU

Dunno, but if he's 173lbs at 23yo I wonder how big he was at 18 and 19?  My belief is that there was a much bigger bias against small players back then than there is now, so I wonder if that played into it?  And he played 2 years in the USHL before Ohio State, so he was "old" (20) for a college freshman.

He's technically a camp invitee, but he's signed to the Checkers, so it's not like we brought him in via a cold call. Who knows, maybe he'll have a Derek Ryan-ish breakout in his mid 20s?  

Edited by LakeLivin

Just one of Kuokkenen's many nice plays from this game. Strong on the puck and slick pass for the primary assist. I'm liking this guy more and more the more I see him.