The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2017 Traverse City Prospects Tourney

4-0 on an empty netter. Rags pulled the keeper with the man advantage, and our PK was unfazed. Helvig with the shutout. I have a good feeling about that kid, been keeping an eye on him for about a year now.

Fleury looked like our best player, as he should.  Bean is a really nifty skater who moves the puck well and has a really sneaky point shot, and makes crisp hard passes.  Needs to work on his defensive game, but it's not bad.  Necas has been the best forward I've seen for any team.  Makes plays at speed. Kuook, Roy, and Foegele are very noticable.  I was a little disappointed in Gauthier again.  I think he's a project.  Elyniuk scored a couple of nice goals, and Helvig looked solid.  That Geekie kid is somebody to watch.

It's been really obvious to me over two games our bunch is better, deeper, and more skilled than their bunch.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm impressed with the way they're playing BP's system in all three zones. Fast through the neutral zone, the D looked very good today, and in the O-zone guys are taking their time and moving the puck around the periphery with confidence and speed, creating gaps that open up shooting lanes and cross-ice passes to guys below the dots. 

Thanks for the observations Coastal and Top.

It is funny you used the word "project" for Gauthier, that is exactly what I was thinking. I think he really needs good coaching, and of course he has to listen and implement what is being relayed to him. 

Kouk is just picking up where he left off, as he was easily one of the best players of the tournament in the Summer Showcase series. 

I like Foegle, heart and soul type guy with some talent.

The skating and pace that Necas plays at is impressive. He also seems like a character kid/guy who is highly motivated.

Fleury is someone that I personally have high hopes for. I could see him coming into the league and pulling a Pesce or Slavin. Every time I have seen him play over the last couple years, the word that comes to mind is "presence." You just seem to notice him out there due to his size and skating, and you usually notice him in a good way.

Every time I see Bean play he seems poised and relaxed. I expected a little more offensive flair but as he said he is concentrating on his defensive game and getting stronger, which of course is the right thing to do. 

It's just nice to finally be genuinely excited about our up and coming players. I've followed this organization from the early Hartford days and I can honestly say this is the most excited I have been regarding our prospects. Let's hope the development continues and we get to witness these "kids" making an impact at the NHL level.

• Like 3

I have to say I agree with all of your analysis Krule.

It is going to be very interesting to see Gauthier in the AHL. I believe he still has the chops to be special, but he is not NHL ready. To me it's just overall hockey IQ. He is huge, he can skate, he has high skill hands and on the rush, and he can shoot. But it is sometimes his decision making. He has never met a shot he didn't like, and while we want shots, he will need to be at least a little more selective. Also, while he can make some nice set up passes, he also has a tendency to pass to open areas at times. All of that said, this guy is a power forward. He will never be confused with Joe Thornton. He is going to score on rush, and near the net, and bang home a lot of goals. We really don't have a guy like that, so an opening is there if Gauthier can elevate his game.

Kuokkanen, just seems to keep getting better every time I see him. As an underaged guy on a disaster of a Finnish WJ Team, he really didn't stand out. But in the Summer tourney, he was clearly the Finn's 1C, and looked much better, and in prospect camp and so far in Traverse City, he is looking even better. He seems to be one of those guys who just makes offense happen. Some guys find themselves in the right place right time a couple of times and get some points. But Kuok is making things happen constantly.

I completely agree about Foegele. He's always been a guy with skill, but the edge he now has in his game should serve him well. It's still a numbers game, but he really could become a gritty forward with 35 points/year type guy in the NHL, maybe better. The trick will be cracking the NHL line up in the age of so many good prospects.

Bean is flashing the skill. Fleury is more ready. Fleury is also a big boy who skates smoothly. We have two good ones. If Sakic was offered Fleury and balked, he may regret it. I really think Fluery makes the Canes this year.

Necas has the highest pure upside of all of them. He has speed at skill. But elite separation type speed. You can see him try elite moves that don't always work, but he's also adjusting to smaller ice. He surely doesn't seem to be NHL ready, but watch for him in the next year or two.

Elynuik is also interesting. The guy is also huge. He doesn't stand out outside of height a lot of the time, but he has been scoring in camp and Traverse and is good at burying breakaways. He seems to be finding some offense. He upped his goals and points to 29G, 73P in 64 games in Spokane. He just seems to keep factoring into things.

Roy is harder for me to get a read on. He's so big and skates well, but still, like Gauthier, big guys sometimes seem to be skating less hard, even when they are not. The guy has pretty good hands though. It will be really interesting watching him in Charlotte also.

We have so many potential NHL players now being exposed to the harder, higher level in the AHL: Gauthier, Roy, Kuokkanen, Smallman, Gauthier new and Saarela, Zykov, Walmark repeating. And that's assuming Fleury makes the Canes. I wish Bean could plan in the AHL now, but especially if we keep Fleury, there is no rush. It will be very interesting to see if anyone stands out.

I wonder if anyone has formed an opinion of McKeown in these games? I saw him make a couple of gaffs in the first game but everyone was doing that. Now that we've added TVR, he seems destined for another AHL year despite all the talk of him being ready at the end of camp last year.

On Gathier, what I see is a kid that often looks lost.  Yeah, he is a power forward.  But he wasn't very "powerful" against a lineup of mostly camp invitees yesterday.  Right now I see his ceiling as closer to a ho-hum third or fourth liner than something special.  He certainly didn't stand out in any meaningful way like some of our other prospects.  To be fair though, yes, his goals will likely come from around the net, and this is just a prospects tournament.  But, I still have some concerns for such a high pick.  I hope he puts it together.

Just like McKeown.  Meh.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

On Gathier, what I see is a kid that often looks lost.  

Last year at the prospect scrimmage game, that was my impression, and it hasn't changed a lot.  He needs some real coaching up.  He has special size, skating, and hands.  He just looks lost a lot of the time.  Even while looking lost in that one time I could see him live, he ripped off a slapshot at full speed coming over the blue line and put one in the top corner.  That is a high skill level play.  Let's hope they can coach that up to an NHL level

I agree on Gauthier looking a bit lost. I think he shoots everything and his passes are hit or miss. But then he makes high skill plays or just blasts a goal in. One of his youtube packages contains several very high level plays on the rush and around the net. At the World Junior Tourney and even the Memorial Cup, he never really looked that great, but at the end of both he somehow had 7 goals and 13 points in 11 games.

I also agree he needs coaching up and he needs to show he can put up points in the AHL.

He is not our typical super high hockey IQ prospect with great all around the ice perception and anticipation. But I hope he can get enough of that part of the game to get by, while his nose for the net and plays on the rush allow him to be an effective goal producing power forward. I still have high hopes in that direction, but admit he's not there at 19/20.

12 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

For a huge guy, Hudson Elynuik can absolutely fly.  Anybody else notice that?   He's also a power forward.  I like this kid so far.

Hard not to notice! Smith reports that Velluci noted it in the post-game, adding that he's a power forward who must play like one to be successful. He made that footrace/breakaway goal look easy, just another day at the office. 

Elynuik was a big reach by GMRF and crew.  He was unranked by a few scouting reports and ranked lower than 74 in others.  He had a .79 PPG the season prior to '16 draft. It jumped up to 1.29 PPG this past season. Something clicked this past season.  He needs to shore up his positioning (just a guess based on his high PIM).  

21 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

On Gathier, what I see is a kid that often looks lost.  Yeah, he is a power forward.  But he wasn't very "powerful" against a lineup of mostly camp invitees yesterday.  Right now I see his ceiling as closer to a ho-hum third or fourth liner than something special.  He certainly didn't stand out in any meaningful way like some of our other prospects.  To be fair though, yes, his goals will likely come from around the net, and this is just a prospects tournament.  But, I still have some concerns for such a high pick.  I hope he puts it together.

Just like McKeown.  Meh.

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

For a huge guy, Hudson Elynuik can absolutely fly.  Anybody else notice that?   He's also a power forward.  I like this kid so far.

I'm with you Coastal...I have big concerns with Gauthier and think Elynuik is a diamond in the rough. Wouldn't shock me at all if Gauthier busts completely and Elynuik becomes a middle sixer at the NHL level. The difference is between the ears...

• Like 1

Gauthier busting would sting, but not as badly as had he been our only 1st that season as opposed to being a 'bonus' extra first.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that, of course.

What is encouraging to me is that if one of our prospects are a "bust" we seem to have alternatives in the pipeline. A few seasons ago if one of our draft picks didn't work out we were left with very little in options. A tribute to Ron Francis and his rebuild strategy.

I haven't been able to see much of the tournament but when I have watched I have been watching our goalies. Odds are one of them will be on the big club next season.

Whoa, guys. I agree Gauthier looked pretty pedestrian in game 2. I missed game 1 but'll take your opinion that it was more of the same. But I seem to remember that he really came on in games 3 and 4 last year. (Then again, it was a year ago and I'm old, so who really knows?)

In Juniors last year, he got traded from Val d'Or to St. Johns for the stretch and put up 24 points over the last 20 games and 17 in 16 playoff games, after scoring 27 in 23 with Val. St. Johns won the Q's President Cup. He was also a point-a-game guy at the U20 worlds for Canada.

Shorter: Ain't a-skeered. Yet.

I'm not ready to pull the plug on Gautier yet.  I just think there is work to do.  He's a physical specimen/freak.  He's been able to lean on that alone for most of his life (most likely).  He has time to put the other aspects of the game together with proper coaching. 

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Shorter: Ain't a-skeered. Yet.

Absolutely. My comment was only that the progress made in rebuilding our cupboard makes it easier if a prospect doesn't work out. I haven't seen enough of the tournament to form an opinion on Gauthier  or others. I find it interesting to see what those who have had the time to watch think. For sure there is a lot of hockey ahead for all these guys before you can rule them in or out

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Gauthier busting would sting, but not as badly as had he been our only 1st that season as opposed to being a 'bonus' extra first.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that, of course.

Gauthier can't bust, because, you know, he's big, and size matters. :P 

But seriously, while Gauthier's size was always a positive looking forward, I've been concerned from the start that the fact that he's been a man playing amongst boys in the Q might be overly influencing his effectiveness down there.  HIs size and physical attributes will be an advantage wherever he plays, but never again to the extent that they were in Canadian Minors.

I'm not writing him off yet, and remain hopeful that he develops enough of the other factors that will allow him to take advantage of his size at the NHL level.  But I suspect that anyone who's played a lot of sports has known a guy with superior physical attributes who didn't have enough of whatever "it" is to take full advantage of them.  Hopefully Gauthier won't be that guy. 

My thoughts about taking size and physical maturity at the junior level into account when it comes to projecting results at higher levels are obviously very speculative. But if there's actually anything legitimate there, Bean's current lack of physical maturity might be a positive going forward.  Mikhail Sergachev seems to be viewed as one of the premier NHL blueline prospects, returning Drouin in a trade.   But compare Sergachev to Bean.  While their stats at the junior level are very comparable, Sergachev seems to already have a "man body" while Bean is listed as weighing in at around a buck seventy.  How much more effective might Bean be once he physically matures?  

I think bigger guys can be harder to judge on both sides of the spectrum. On one hand Lake's point of guys physically dominating smaller players in Juniors vs NHL might cause a drop back. But on the other hand, huge guys don't have that frenetic quick flashy skill appearance either. That can make them look slow. The thing that gives me more hope on Gauthier is 1. The eyeball test. He makes multiple high skill moves. 2. The numbers. The guy just produces goals. I am more worried about big guys who don't (ie Lawson Crouse, or this year Rasmussen who barely scored 5 on 5). In terms of correlation with NHL success, all things are imprecise, but actual production is the best, and Gauthier is good there.