The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2017 Traverse City Prospects Tourney

52 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think bigger guys can be harder to judge on both sides of the spectrum. On one hand Lake's point of guys physically dominating smaller players in Juniors vs NHL might cause a drop back. But on the other hand, huge guys don't have that frenetic quick flashy skill appearance either. That can make them look slow. The thing that gives me more hope on Gauthier is 1. The eyeball test. He makes multiple high skill moves. 2. The numbers. The guy just produces goals. I am more worried about big guys who don't (ie Lawson Crouse, or this year Rasmussen who barely scored 5 on 5). In terms of correlation with NHL success, all things are imprecise, but actual production is the best, and Gauthier is good there.

Yeah, projecting NHL success is definitely imprecise.  I'm just thinking about different factors that might go into such a complicated calculus.

To my mind the general principle isn't limited to bigger vs. smaller.  It also includes physical maturity (say, a 5'11" guy already filled out at 185 lbs vs. one who still weighs 160).  Another factor is experience, i.e., the late birthday prospects who are up to essentially a year older than their "classmates" because they missed the September birthday draft cut-off.  I remember reading an article that presented data indicating that "late birthday" prospects generally haven't progressed as well as their younger counterparts, presumably because of how big an advantage an extra year of development is at that stage of a kid's career (think comparing the production of a high school senior to a junior).

Gauthier did have a couple of monster goal scoring seasons, hopefully that stands up as the best indicator of success for him going forward.   

11 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Gauthier did have a couple of monster goal scoring seasons, hopefully that stands up as the best indicator of success for him going forward.   

And he's continued to score in Junior playoffs, World Juniors, Memorial Cup and even in this tourney.

Gauthier big test will be the AHL.  Positioning and IQ will be huge.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.  The great thing is we can wait on his adjustment.  We don't have to worry about him not making the roster in the next 2 years.  We actually have prospects and nhl depth that wont require him to be rushed. I don't think he'll be a bust but a project that'll be worth the wait.

I hope I'm not giving the impression that I'm really negative on Gauthier.  I can't get high speed internet where I live so I haven't even seen him play.  It's just that it seems like a little while ago we were regarding him as our best prospect, almost untouchable; some were even thinking he might make the Canes team this fall.  I had those niggling questions/concerns at the time, so now that y'all are indicating that the eye test says he's not necessarily a slam dunk without further development, it reminded me of the principal in general.

His stats are kind of weird.  His point totals are more along the lines of a Ho Sang than a Marner, but his goal totals have been close to Marner-esque.   Up until this year, that is, when they dropped quite a bit.  Not quite sure what's up with that, but I love that the kid will have a chance to develop in the environment we've now got in Charlotte. Gonna be a lot of competition down there, both from yutes around his age as well as some talented, more established players that look like they're on the roster more for the sake of the Chex than the Canes.      

9 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Well, that period didn't go so well.  Down 3-0.

That's not good, first question that springs to mind is goal tending.  Did Booth get lit up, or left out to dry by the D?

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The intermission and stoppage music is way, waaaay better in Traverse City than in Raleigh. Just sayin'.

Top, the winters are better in Raleigh tho ??

1 minute ago, surfzone365 said:

Top, the winters are better in Raleigh tho ??

I'd click the like button, but it's become a loooooooove button. And we wonder why they call us the Candy Canes.

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd click the like button, but it's become a loooooooove button. And we wonder why they call us the Candy Canes.

I think we're going to show some people who the candy canes are this year and it won't be sweet for them ??

1 minute ago, surfzone365 said:

I think we're going to show some people who the candy canes are this year and it won't be sweet for them ??

I am soooo primed for opening night.