The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2017 Traverse City Prospects Tourney

They are both quite lackadaisical in goal compared to what will be needed to succeed in even the AHL. They need to take everything in the zone seriously and you could often times see both slack off in their movements when they felt the shot wasn't coming, that's a goal in the NHL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

They are both quite lackadaisical in goal compared to what will be needed to succeed in even the AHL. They need to take everything in the zone seriously and you could often times see both slack off in their movements when they felt the shot wasn't coming, that's a goal in the NHL. 

Agree, and some of those Hawks' forwards had absolutely sick releases. Despite allowing more goals, Helvig looked like the more fundamentally sound of the two, to my eyes. I think maybe Booth's Sea Dogs are so deep in forward talent and so high-scoring that he's become accustomed to a somewhat easier ride.  

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I only caught a few minutes but it looked like the Detroit game all over again except the Hawks knew how to score. 

They scored 34 seconds in and it was downhill from there. Roy won the face-off straight back to Booth, and the D never got a grip on it.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

So I missed this one. Thankfully. I usually assume that 9-2 means we just did not show up, at all. Was that it?

The Hawks were lightning-fast. They were playing like BP wants our guys to play. It's not that we were slow, they were just faster. They were great in all three zones, and their keeper was rock solid.

Interested to see if our guys bounce back from the throttling. Maybe not playing for the Title, but 3-1 would still be decent.

They're reworking the top 6 a bit. I'm very interested to see Foegele - Necas - Kuokanen, and Smallman - Roy - Gauthier. Also putting Fleury and McKeown back together.

Maybe Booth can stop a few.

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

What's up with our goalie prospects?  Do we have one that can potentially challenge the starter in 2 - 3 years from now?

I don't believe we have drafted a number 1 goalie prospect over the past few years.  Has hockey had big time goalie prospects over the last 6 years?  Anyway, I believe we are hoping they develop into 1b guys.  It would be the only reason you get a decent starter and give him a 4 year deal (disclaimer: im saying decent because we have no idea what kind of starter he'll be).  

Wow 13 seconds in Roy got rocked with a huge hit mid blue line offensive zone. Called it a clean hit, but it was not the kind of hit you usually see. Guy skated all the way up to the blueline from the back and hit him open ice. Roy out so far.

31 minutes ago, remkin said:

Wow 13 seconds in Roy got rocked with a huge hit mid blue line offensive zone. Called it a clean hit, but it was not the kind of hit you usually see. Guy skated all the way up to the blueline from the back and hit him open ice. Roy out so far.

As a canes fan,   I would like to see more big open ice hits from this team.  I get up and cheer when one happens.

• Like 1

So one way of looking at it is that our last two teams are 7-1 at Traverse City.

We've really got some good prospects.

I'm starting to really feel Kuokkanen. I don't want to say he reminds me of a bigger Aho, but there are similarities.

You can see the speed and skill drip off of Necas. Needs more time to fully develop but he will be good.

I still like what Foegele brings. Strong on the puck, quick, strong hands. Just looks like a skilled hockey player the way he moves.

Fleury looked in control almost all the time. Very solid.

My surprise was Elyniuk. He was making a lot of offense go. He mad a couple of bad passes, but also some beautiful feeds and strong burst of speed on breakaways. 

Booth made some nice stops in the shutout tonight too.

Really a bummer that Roy was out about 13 seconds in.

Onward to training camp!

Chicago wins. At least we lost to the champs.

The announcers for this game were saying that the returning champs get the best dressing room the following year. Apparently all the others really basic, but one is prime and palatial. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

My take from Traverse City relative to this year's Canes roster is that Nordstram, Jooris, McGinn and other bottom nine wingers better have a better camp than Foegele.  Fleury is smooth and looks ready for a shot.