The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2017 Traverse City Prospects Tourney

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

One additional comment I'll throw out out here which also occurred to me, and it's a slight elaboration on top's comment, the 3 players surrounding Roy likely totally occupied his attention, thus this Warner guy entered and foisted his hit on an essentially defenseless player. Cowardly at best? 

That's a good point Kjun, I thought that too. He skated across the ice, past the three defenders watching the puck and completely out of position to lay that hit. That's what looked so blatant about it to me.

I just don't like a hit like that in a tournament where you just don't see monster hitting. I still think it was charging and targeting, but the refs didn't see it that way.  Hope Roy is okay for camp, which is the main thing now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I still think it was charging and targeting

No question about it. Warner made up his mind he was going to send a message right out of the gate, and he clearly didn't care how. I don't know if it was a matter of the refs not seeing it as we do or that they just weren't even expecting it in this kind of event. My money's on the latter, and if this is how Warner intends to break into the league, I've got two words for him: Steve Downie.

Would everyone be making such lengthy and chastising comments if the exact same hit had been completed by our guy against a Wild player or is this just circling the wagons because it was a Canes player who took the hit that the ref did not see as dirty?

Edited by raleighcaniac

12 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Would everyone be making such lengthy and chastising comments if the exact same hit had been completed by our guy against a Wild player or is this just circling the wagon because it was a Cane player who took the hit that the ref did not see as a dirty?

Maybe not everyone but I think many of us would question the hit. During the 09-10 season when Tuomo Ruutu boarded Darcy Tucker and was suspended I remember plenty of Canes fans saying Ruu might of not of meant to do it but he did and agreed with the three game suspension. As a fan your always going to see or try and justify actions in your teams favor but Carolina fans are pretty savvy

I have been watching this debate and will add my 2 cents. Hard hits are part of the game but the Scott Stevens days are over

• Like 1

Yeah, that.  Some people do suffer from homerism but many don't.  I had little use for Ruutu, largely because of an ill-advised hit or two.  There have been other hits by Hurricanes i had little use for as well.  Take the hit when it's clean and legal (we all know there's a difference between the two) but remember there's a guy on the receiving end of your 'statement' with a brain and a neck.  This isn't Ender's Game where you have to make sure you win all future battles as well by taking the other guy out for the next week, next month, next season, or for good.

5 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Would everyone be making such lengthy and chastising comments if the exact same hit had been completed by our guy against a Wild player or is this just circling the wagons because it was a Canes player who took the hit that the ref did not see as dirty?

Fair question.  I hope I would, and if I don't I'm fair game to be called on it.

And to end my part of the discussion, I just saw Roy suffered a concussion.  In a prospects tourney.

Edited by coastal_caniac

9 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

If a Canes player did that shiznit, yeah, I'd jump all over it. It's cheap. If he'd not elevated into the hit, it's probably fine, but responsibility for the areas contacted on this play lies solely with the aggressor. Roy's body position was constant throughout Warner's approach, IMO. A hip check - which, as he first started crossing over he was perfectly positioned to deliver - would have had the same effect of taking Roy out of the play, without the concussion. Nobody'd be debating its legality, or even its appropriateness for the venue. It would have just been a good clean hockey play.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, OBXer said:

Maybe not everyone but I think many of us would question the hit. During the 09-10 season when Tuomo Ruutu boarded Darcy Tucker and was suspended I remember plenty of Canes fans saying Ruu might of not of meant to do it but he did and agreed with the three game suspension. As a fan your always going to see or try and justify actions in your teams favor but Carolina fans are pretty savvy

I have been watching this debate and will add my 2 cents. Hard hits are part of the game but the Scott Stevens days are over

Good memory, OBX. Hooray for old guys!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Fair question.  I hope I would, and if I don't I'm fair game to be called on it.

And to end my part of the discussion, I just saw Roy suffered a concussion.  In a prospects tourney.

As a Lindhomer I remember you calling out Lindholm for what was almost a bad knee to knee hit a couple preseasons ago. The intent wasn't there but he was careless. 

Sucks to hear that about Roy...in a prospects game. 

On 9/15/2017 at 11:28 AM, raleighcaniac said:

I wouldn't.   This is hockey.   I would live nothing more than to see J Staal deliver crushing open ice hits to opposing team's 1cs.  I think he is capable of doing so too.  We have yet to see him cone playoff time as a Cane.  I'm optimistic.