• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email address to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2017

Zero surprise on the lack of PTO's for us...besides, I think Jagr will end up north of the border soon enough...like Calgary

That's what happens when you've got talent in your farm. A PTO would undermine camp at this point. 

Edited by legend-1

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

That's what happens when you've got talent in your farm. A PTO would undermine camp at this point. 

It isn't a secret that we are still searching for a 3rd line center that could put up more production than Ryan.  I think GMRF wants our youngins to get at least 1 year in the AHL.  A trade is the only other option.  I don't see the harm in a veteran center that has struggled lately to see they get their mojo back.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Too bad but whatever it takes to make sure they are completely healed.

Yeah both guys I want to watch. Luckily we have 7 preseason games.

I hope the Canes use more games during the latter part of preseason with very close to, if not the starting lineup.  Other teams do this but we never seem to be in that mindset.  That's always frustrated me and I've often wondered if that wasn't the main reason the team always starts slow.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

It isn't a secret that we are still searching for a 3rd line center that could put up more production than Ryan. 

I don't think we trade for anything short of a 1C, and then only if one of Rask, Ryan, or Kruger is abysmal after the season starts. Ryan has won wherever he's played, and for guys like that, something just kicks in when all the middling players are gone. I think we can say that's now true of this roster. 

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

It isn't a secret that we are still searching for a 3rd line center that could put up more production than Ryan.  I think GMRF wants our youngins to get at least 1 year in the AHL.  A trade is the only other option.  I don't see the harm in a veteran center that has struggled lately to see they get their mojo back.

I'm apparently behind the curve - we're seriously searching for yet another 3C?  It seems we have about 60 3Cs floating around and need a 1C.  Bringing in another 3C on a PTO seems pointless IMO.  1C or bust.  Let the 1C solve any 3C problem (which i don't think we have) through trickle down economics.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I hope the Canes use more games during the latter part of preseason with very close to, if not the starting lineup.  Other teams do this but we never seem to be in that mindset.  That's always frustrated me and I've often wondered if that wasn't the main reason the team always starts slow.

I agree. I've wondered the same thing. Especially for a team that has started slow a lot, maybe at least mix things up from the past.  And especially this year when in all likelihood there are only a couple of spots open baring injury, so spending a ton of time evaluating the yutes seems less important than getting the guys we know will be here on the same page.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

+1,000,000

Hurricanes Announce Training Camp Schedule

The team will begin on-ice workouts on Friday, Sept. 15, at 8:45 a.m.

the Hurricanes will host the annual Caniac Carnival at PNC Arena on Sunday, Sept. 17.

Carolina opens its 2017 exhibition schedule at Buffalo for the first of back-to-back road games against the Sabres and Lightning on Sept. 18 and Sept. 19.

Training Camp Schedule

*practices are open to the public except on Saturday, September 16th and Thursday, October 5

Training Camp Roster

Training Camp Groups

2 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Friday, nice!  I'm not sure i've seen anything about 'Camp Brind'Amour' this season... is that still a thing?  Is anyone already taking to the ice?

I saw something about informal skates earlier but no real substance. Not like the Brindy days

8 minutes ago

Justin Williams back on the ice with the . He's skating with Victor Rask and Teuvo Teravainen today

Nic Roy, who got hit high and left the game Tuesday in Traverse City, being held out of today's skate.

12 minutes ago

Second practice begins. Rask centers Teravainen, Williams. Ryan centers Skinner, Stempniak.

Second Session has begun

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I suppose we all suspected this

Yup. It's why he didn't return.

I like a clean hard check as much as the next guy, but concussions make me sick.

Was that play, 13 seconds into the consolation game of a show tournament, in any way a necessary hockey play? Not even close.

Anyone attending camp? Observations?

Camp is always exciting, but with a full camp with Peters and the whole team here from the start, combined with the importance of a good start, and even more optimism than usual, just seems more important this year somehow.

I cannot believe that our first pre-season game is in three days!