The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2017

18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Its an interesting thought.  If there were reports of a team that is even or below us in the metro getting him, I would be ok with the thought. We are already below CLB's talent so them getting Duchene doesn't hurt as much.  NYR, NYI, Was, etc getting Duchene would really suck as we would basically be stuck.  Forced to fight for 4th place all the time.  

While true gocanes, my point is, would obtaining Duchene possibly bring us up to Columbus' level?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

While true gocanes, my point is, would obtaining Duchene possibly bring us up to Columbus' level?

I'll jump in and offer my take. While it seems some have Columbus dropping off, I don't. Not only are they stacked, and with one of the best goalies in the league, but they passed the eyeball test last year. They just looked that good, to me anyways. Sure they won't win all those games in a row, but they will be a tough team to catch or pass as currently configured.  If they get Duchene, just ink them in and we'll just have to beat some other team out.

If we get Duchene, it depends on what we have to give up. If we give up Fleury and picks, we will be right there with Columbus and a 100 point team. If we give up Hanifin, it will depend on how well Dahlberg and Fleury or Carrick can step up.

Would we give up, say Hanifin, to block Duchene to Columbus? I just don't think it would play out that way. I think Francis knows what he is wiling to give up, and so far, Sakic doesn't think it's enough. My guess is that Francis is still in the game, but has decided not to move Hanifin for Duchene at all. He basically said this to a group of fans already. (I hold out a small thought that Sakic might have been asking for Hanifin plus a first rounder plus a prime prospect, and if he dropped the extras and agreed to Hanifin for Duchene straight up, that deal might still happen).

But my best guess is that Francis is offering Fluery plus a package of picks/prospects and Sakic is not biting on that. While Francis might sweeten the Fluery package, its just doesn't seem like Hanifin is in play for him.

Personally I think trading Hanifin puts this year's D in too much jeopardy. Of course we don't know for sure yet, but I think Hanifin >>Dahlbeck > Fleury at this moment. Sure, Fleury could come in and rock and Dahlbeck on his proper side with Faulk could get us by. But Hanifin has 2 NHL seasons under his belt and the way that Faulk - Hanifin looked at the end of the year, messing with that is a risk both in terms of replacing Hanifin and the apparent positive effect on Faulk.  And if it does affect this year, well that's 50% of the years on Duchene's contract.

So, I think Francis stands with some version of offering Fleury and Sakic will either come around or Duchene goes elsewhere. Of course pure speculation, so that Hanifin-Duchene deal probably gets announced today.

Some hits from todays training camp

2 hours ago

Scott Darling practiced with the today. Lee Stempniak not yet back on the ice with the team

2 hours ago

Faulk working with Slavin, Pesce with Hanifin, Dahlbeck and van Riemsdyk. Fleury with Bean.

Peters taking look at Necas on wing with Ryan and Skinner.

Darling, Ward in nets today at practice.

What jumps out on me is Peters giving Necas a shot on a scoring line at wing. Maybe he is looking at a way to fit Necas into the roster. That is Stempers spot or at least projected to be. That would shake up the lineup.

40 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Some hits from todays training camp

What jumps out on me is Peters giving Necas a shot on a scoring line at wing. Maybe he is looking at a way to fit Necas into the roster. That is Stempers spot or at least projected to be. That would shake up the lineup.

Not trying to read too much in, but if an injury opened up a spot, even temporarily, Necas could get his 10 game look. In that scenario guys have earned their way onto the team. We are deep enough to put a PDG or Wallmark or Zykov or Saarela up there, but we need to score, and Necas makes offense happen. I'll probably keep insisting he'll go down for more development right up to the day he makes the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Faulk working with Slavin, Pesce with Hanifin, Dahlbeck and van Riemsdyk. Fleury with Bean.

Oof. Just--please. BP, we get it. You want to distribute the talent throughout the pairings. But here's hoping that desire loses out to the realization that Slavin/Pesce ain't broke. They are shut. The eff. Down. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Oof. Just--please. BP, we get it. You want to distribute the talent throughout the pairings. But here's hoping that desire loses out to the realization that Slavin/Pesce ain't broke.

They ran those first two pair like that in some games last season. When all is said in done I expect Pesce to be with Slavin.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Not trying to read too much in, but if an injury opened up a spot, even temporarily, Necas could get his 10 game look. In that scenario guys have earned their way onto the team. We are deep enough to put a PDG or Wallmark or Zykov or Saarela up there, but we need to score, and Necas makes offense happen. I'll probably keep insisting he'll go down for more development right up to the day he makes the team.

On paper (which is all I've got), when it comes to scoring, wouldn't Saarela be one of the first yutes that comes to mind? 

Good day today at camp.  The first group (NHL group and top prospects) was all smiles and loose.  Skinner looked to be having a ball.  Necas is skilled and Bean has a great one timer.  The 2nd group (depth guys) looked like they had just gotten bus tickets.

IMG_0046.JPG.eb55cfb8fae1676d3203d8ff68245064.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Oof. Just--please. BP, we get it. You want to distribute the talent throughout the pairings. But here's hoping that desire loses out to the realization that Slavin/Pesce ain't broke. They are shut. The eff. Down. 

My guess is that you will see a lot of Slavin - Pesce and Hanifin - Faulk at home and a lot of Slavin - Faulk and Hanifin - Pesce on the road. Home allows you to situationally play the pairs appropriately, whereas on the road he can prevent the opposing coaches from rolling their best lines at Hanifin - Faulk.

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Good day today at camp.  The first group (NHL group and top prospects) was all smiles and loose.  Skinner looked to be having a ball.  Necas is skilled and Bean has a great one timer.  The 2nd group (depth guys) looked like they had just gotten bus tickets.

Thx for the report, I wish I had made it out this year.

22 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

On paper (which is all I've got), when it comes to scoring, wouldn't Saarela be one of the first yutes that comes to mind? 

My take:

Saarela is definitely on the short list. But he would need to really explode in camp.

To me what Necas has is breakout talent. Elite potential that is clearly visible in multiple areas over and over when watching him. To me it is about creating quality chances. That is really the difference of a truly elite forward and a good one. The elite guy creates quality offensive chances over and over throughout most games. There aren't really that many of those guys in the league. Necas seems to have that potential. I'm not sure our other prospects do, at least not to his level.

I'm thinking Peters is watching Necas create chance after chance and thinking, "Dang this kid is dripping with ability. He makes things happen. Who couldn't use that?". It has to be really tempting to have that talent out there. But this team, especially with Ryan having a very strong pre-season showing and such a good start last year, really does not have a spot for Necas. In past years he could take Bowman's spot or Terry's or LaRose's, etc. Now he has to push a legit top 9 guy off his spot. Unless someone is injured (Stempniak still has not played). If there is an opening though, say an injury, the temptation to give Necas a sniff will be higher, IMO than for Saarela, because they get 10 free games to look at that elite talent. In fact, if Necas keeps making plays, I would predict he gets some games if we have an injury or two.

And if that happens and Necas produces? Could stick. I'm staying with it not happening, but an injury could change that and open that door.

To me Saarela or Zykov or Walmark or PDG are the guys who would get their look IF Necas is sent down/back.

Saarela had an amazing 9 game run in Charlotte with 6 goals and 10 points. Though he then went 0/5 in playoffs. I think he has to blow doors off in camp to have any shot at it. He will likely go back to Charlotte and try to keep it rolling.

Those four guys (Saarela, Zykov, Wallmark, PDG) and probably McGinn really need to make some noise this year though, because the big club is already full of young guys, and there is talent pushing up from below too. Unless you can establish 4th line chops, there just isn't room for marginal players, even now, but especially moving forward.

Down to 40.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-trim-training-camp-roster-to-40-players/c-291289370

Bishop, Foegele, Lorentz, Poturalski, Schilkey, Smallman, Tolchinsky, Ganly, Kanzig, Wesley, Booth, and Nedeljkovich to Charlotte, Hoffman back to Switzerland.

Edited by realmdrakkar

7 more were cut to include Gauthier.

im not surprised at Gauthier as he needs constant top 6 reps. He wasn't going to get that in camp. If his play can become consistent we could have our version of Nino.  

I am surprised that Chelios made the latest cut.  He is an older guy at 26 but I don't think he on the short list of callups.

i am glad they kept Roy around to see what he can give to the team.

30 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

7 more were cut to include Gauthier.

im not surprised at Gauthier as he needs constant top 6 reps. He wasn't going to get that in camp. If his play can become consistent we could have our version of Nino.  

I am surprised that Chelios made the latest cut.  He is an older guy at 26 but I don't think he on the short list of callups.

i am glad they kept Roy around to see what he can give to the team.

What do you mean our version of Nino?  I'm not familiar with his players so could you elaborate?

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

What do you mean our version of Nino?  I'm not familiar with his players so could you elaborate?

Wild's RW Nino Niederrieter.  Power RW that can score a bunch.

Updated Camp Roster:

Forwards: (20)

Ryan

Staal

Williams

Saalera

Kruger

Jooris

Aho

Stempniak

McGinn

Lindholm 

PDG

Nordstrom

Rask

Skinner

Roy

Kuokkanen

Wallmark

Zykov

TT

Necas 

Defenders: (10)

Fleury

Hanifin

Dahlbeck

Pesce

Bean

Faulk

Carrick 

TVR

Slavin

Chelios

Goalies: (3)

Darling

Ward

Smith

So we have to cut 10.  My guess is 6 forwards, 3 defenders, and a goalie.

Next cuts: PDG, Wallmark, Roy, Zykov, Saalera, Kuokkanen, Carrick, Bean, Chelios, and Smith.

If i was guessing we go to the wire on whether to keep Necas.  Carrick will be battling Dahlbeck for number 7.  I haven't seen the games to know how Carrick's and Dahlbeck's overall games are looking.

Gauthier is a project with lot's of potential.  And he doesn't need to fill out or bulk up.  He'll be fun to follow this year in Charlotte.

McKeown may have slid way down the defensive depth chart.  Carrick on the other hand...although I've noticed his breakouts are not as smooth as guys like Fleury or TVR, could make it interesting if your Dahlbeck.  That monster shot and way he manhandles guys in his own zone and plays with such an edge are noticable to me.  Carrick brings something we don't have back there, although Dalhbeck is also a physical defender.

And Necas is still hanging around.

Personally I think giving Necas at least his free short 9 game NHL look opens up even more if Stempniak or any other clear top 9 guy can't start the season. I guess Ryan could be a healthy scratch or could platoon him, Kruger, Joorish, and McGinn to the press box to give Necas an NHL look, but if there is a legit opening it would be even more tempting. The two reasons I thought he would not stay were his physique and our top 9 depth. Anyone not being ready to go for game one removes the depth impediment.

Guys like Zykov, Saarela, Walmark, can be called up later. But for Necas, it's the first 9 or nothing (unless he takes the unlikely course of going to the AHL). And Necas brings a level of speed and skill that those guys just don't.

He is decent in his own end, and doesn't turn the puck over much, so even if he doesn't produce, he's not a liability. There is no rush to get him back to his Czec league, he can get there when he gets there.

That 9 game look is what is intriguing. And if he does well....he could stick.

Even if he does end up going back this year, he is the real deal and would likely be next year's Aho.

Just got me thinking about the depth that will be pressing at next year's camp. If Necas goes back it would be potential high end talent to include:

Necas, Gauthier, Roy, and Kuokkanen, with very interesting more seasoned guys like Zykov, Saarela, Wallmark, and possibly better than some think guys like Smallman, Foegele, possibly Cotton and more. Then Jake Bean on the back end.

The future looks bright.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

26 isn't really that old when your father plays until he's 47.  I was more impressed with the Carrick/Chelios pairing than i was the Fleury/McKeown pairing at the Checkers game i attended last season; maybe there's something there after all.  Very telling though that McKeown 'made the team out of camp' last season yet has already been sent back this season.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Personally I think giving Necas at least his free short 9 game NHL look opens up even more if Stempniak or any other clear top 9 guy can't start the season.

I was thinking something similar.  I haven't seen him play enough to have any credibility about his ability to play at this level, but as camp goes on the praise gets higher from those that do know, it seems.

The kid may get a cup of coffee to start the year.