Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2017

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

There is more to icing a team and managing a budget than listening to a bunch of Schmos on a fan message board arguing BMI and shoe size. 

Yeah, all the yip yap about prospects making the roster is exciting, but - save Wallmark, Saarela, or Zykov - I don't see any of Kouk, Necas, Bean, etc. doing it. They're all in their first year of pro hockey on this side of the pond.

 

Wallmark is a C, but I could see him sticking if Stemp can't go, only because it would save PDG or Jooris from waivers when sent back down. Lucas is waiver ineligible for a couple more years, and putting him at C with Skinner and Doc on the wings preserves the chemistry between those two and puts a big guy in the middle. Then again, I'm not so sure RF and BP wouldn't be okay fine with PDG or Jooris being claimed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Then again, I'm not so sure RF and BP wouldn't be okay fine with PDG or Jooris being claimed.  

 

I wouldn’t shed any tears. You can add Dahlbeck to that list as well. At some point, having a few less contracts would be beneficial to making future moves. And those three are just stop gaps until younger players with more upside are ready....if that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a long season. James Wisniewski is a good reason you don't want to dump Dahlbeck right away until you absolutely have to. Wiz getting injured a half minute into the season left our D scrambling for a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

 

edit: My BMI is 30.6 according to a random calculator I just find.  Where do I pick up my uniform?

I'm a mere 29.6 but then again winter beer season hasn't even started yet. Add 20 more lbs to the equation.......hugely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm a mere 29.6 but then again winter beer season hasn't even started yet. Add 20 more lbs to the equation.......hugely.

 

Octoberfest beers are out.  No excuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Necas has skated well, but not really sure that the last couple of games were his best. Not ideal to finish -1 with no points when your team wins 6-2. I think he had to really stand way out to make the team, not only look good, but create offense. He has done it in spots, but not sure it's been enough to burn his eligibility and put him through a full NHL season without more meat on his bones.

 

Then again, they keep rolling him out there, so it sure looks like they want to give him every last look, and that 9 real NHL game free look is still out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, remkin said:

Necas has skated well, but not really sure that the last couple of games were his best. Not ideal to finish -1 with no points when your team wins 6-2. I think he had to really stand way out to make the team.

 

Then again, they keep rolling him out there, so it sure looks like they want to give him every last look.

 

I wonder if they might want to see as much of him as possible to help in the determination as to whether he goes to Charlotte or back to Brno?  I know it was originally felt to be Brno, but it wouldn't shock me if that was being looked at anew because of his play so far. Hmm, either way, he's going to be playing with Chex (Czechs). :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wonder if they are thinking about giving him the 9 game try out assuming Stemp can't go.

 

Yes, there may be more conservative picks for that spot like Wallmark/PDG/Saarela/Zykov, but none of them has the speed and potential to create offense like Necas, and as we know the chance to see NHL Necas for 9 games is there for the taking only now.

 

To be honest, the way this team is playing, it's hard to fault just about any decision. We don't need him. But then again,, we can also win with him and really see what he's got for at least a few games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I just wonder if they are thinking about giving him the 9 game try out assuming Stemp can't go.

 

Yes, there may be more conservative picks for that spot like Wallmark/PDG/Saarela/Zykov, but none of them has the speed and potential to create offense like Necas, and as we know the chance to see NHL Necas for 9 games is there for the taking only now.

 

Not if he ends up in Charlotte.  Which is part of what prompted my post above.

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

 

Not if he ends up in Charlotte (see above).

 

True. Somewhere on here I did point out that the advantage of the AHL (aside from getting used to small ice) is that he could be called back up at some point this year. I also asked if anyone remembered any recent examples of 18 year old players going to the AHL and then getting called back up that year. I think that the 9 games applies to the whole year too. He could get a look for 9 games later and not burn a year. But teams generally don't want to burn a year for a lot less games than a full season either (if he came up later and played more than 9). 

 

It just seems so rare for players to go to the AHL at 18. Most guys prefer the other options, and teams seem to be good with it. Here Francis said if he does not make the team, Necas can pick his destination. Most are thinking Czec, but you never know.

 

Personally, I'd still be concerned a little about the skinny frame in Charlotte too.  The AHL is pretty hard hitting too. I guess he plays with men in Czec, but I'm not sure it's as physical, especially with the big ice.

 

And I can't help but think about how well going back home one more year worked for Aho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont see Necas going to Charlotte.  They aren't spots for everyone to get effective PT with his addition. 

 

It'll be home. They are maximizing his games to give him that knowledge when he returns to Czech.  What to work on, how to play, and get him as much nutrition training to improve bulk for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see Necas "making" the Canes out of camp.  If he is retained, I'd think it would be for the 9 game "tryout".  But given our history of slow starts, can the Canes afford to take such a risk?  Then I think about mgmt stating how valuable Pesce and Slavin's AHL experience was, even though it was only 7 and 14 games, respectively.  IF the Canes think that Necas has a realistic shot of contributing at the NHL level this season, I'm thinking they assign him to Charlotte with the intention of a subsequent call up rather than burning those 9 games at the start of the year.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Unless RF was lying, he has said on 3 occasions if Necas did not make the team the player (and agent) would decide where he plays.

 

I don't doubt RF's honesty.  On the other hand, I think he could easily influence Necas' decision. "Hey kid, we're really impressed with you and can envision the possibility of you playing for the Canes at some point this season.  But not right now, and we couldn't do it from Brno.  Charlotte on the other hand . . ."  

 

And my speculation on Necas going to Charlotte is dependent on the Canes honestly envisioning a decent possibility of him helping the Canes at some point this season.  I can't see RF lying to the kid just to nudge him towards Charlotte.     

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many games did Necas play in the Czech league? Even if he looks good now, with his slender frame, I could see him flaming out by mid season. I think Hanifin and Lindholm may have been set back by going straight to the NHL. Look what an extra year in Finland did for Aho. RF gets paid the big bucks to make these decisions, but another year to bulk up after a long look in preseason with the big team to learn what it takes to succeed in the NHL seems reasonable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

39 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

 

I don't doubt RF's honesty.  On the other hand, I think he could easily influence Necas' decision. "Hey kid, we're really impressed with you and can envision the possibility of you playing for the Canes at some point this season.  But not right now, and we couldn't do it from Brno.  Charlotte on the other hand . . ."  

 

And my speculation on Necas going to Charlotte is dependent on the Canes honestly envisioning a decent possibility of him helping the Canes at some point this season.  I can't see RF lying to the kid just to nudge him towards Charlotte.     

 

Francis made the same comment on letting the player decide in Aho's draft year, and it was reported that his dad [the GM] thought that served him best.  He went back to Europe.  But yeah, I'm sure everyone was involved in the decision to some extent.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

How many games did Necas play in the Czech league? Even if he looks good now, with his slender frame, I could see him flaming out by mid season. I think Hanifin and Lindholm may have been set back by going straight to the NHL. Look what an extra year in Finland did for Aho. RF gets paid the big bucks to make these decisions, but another year to bulk up after a long look in preseason with the big team to learn what it takes to succeed in the NHL seems reasonable.

 

I'm pretty sure it's a 52-game season in that league and he played 41 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, remkin said:

Yes, there may be more conservative picks for that spot like Wallmark/PDG/Saarela/Zykov, but none of them has the speed and potential to create offense like Necas,

I think there are four guys who might differ with you on that. Maybe more.

 

Necas has the potential to create offense, yes. He is also 18, has next to no experience in our system, and needs meat on his bones.

 

This year is not about potential. This year is about winning right out of the gate. Every one of Wallmark, Zykov, PDG, and Saarela exponentially increase our chances of doing so while, IMO, leapfrogging Necas into an NHL role over any of them - even for one game, once they start to count - exponentially increases only one thing: his chance of a season-ending injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not pushing Necas into the fray this year gives him to the team at $.925m in the 20/21 season since his entry level deal would slide.   Is what he can do as an 18 year old going to be more than the older prospects this year?  Non internet GMs look at those things too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would we skate Necas game after game; move him from center to wing back to center and back to wing again If we aren't at least considering keeping him in Raleigh?

 

Odds are he heads back to Europe or heads to Charlotte but what do we learn that we don't already know by giving him all this ice time  except if he can stick on NHL ice.

 

I'm not making a case for Necas only wondering

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, OBXer said:

what do we learn that we don't already know by giving him all this ice time 

We learn exactly that: What we don't already know, i.e., in which situations he is good and which need work, so he can be given "homework."

 

Necas made a really bad play on the PP along the half-wall in EDM, trying to maintain possession in the O-zone in a one-on-one challenge, instead of sending it to the open man at the point. He lost the puck and the Canes lost the zone. Perfect example of what a young guy with great hands can get away with at other levels. But it won't fly here, and certainly not in a system that puts possession above everything else.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We learn exactly that: What we don't already know, i.e., in which situations he is good and which need work, so he can be given "homework."

 

Of course you always learn something when you skate a certain player. So why skate him at wing again tonight?  Is that where you want him to play at the AHL level? Are you trying to groom him for a call up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

Of course you always learn something when you skate a certain player. So why skate him at wing again tonight?  Is that where you want him to play at the AHL level? Are you trying to groom him for a call up?

This may be a topic for another thread but the organization will have short and term choices to make about center versus winger.

TT- pretty set on him being winger so far 

staal- center

rask- center

Aho-  ???

Kruger- center

Ryan- ???

Kuokkanen- ???

Roy- play so far is center 

Necas- ???

Wallmark- center so far

Etc, etc

 

someone has to play on the wing.  Why not try him out and see if it is better fit for him?  It could be the only way he makes the team next season, if not this one.  Seemed to work for Aho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...