The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2017

I guess about the only way Carrick gets claimed is if a team has a 6/7 dman injured, and claims him to use until their guy gets healthy.  

Edited by super_dave_1

17 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Oh no.  The last time we went here, there were all kinds of pictures of "Pork Roll" posted.  Kind of made me want to heave.

Must be why Stormy has such an aversion to the place??

52 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I guess about the only way Carrick gets claimed is if a team has a 6/7 dman injured, and claims him to use until their guy gets healthy.  

Depends on whether Crazy Joe's come to his senses in the slightest and whether he's keeping an eye on the waiver wire - they still really only have 4 NHL defensemen in camp.  And Carrick might even be an upgrade over a couple of those.  It's a good thing he's a lefty because they have even fewer LHDs left in camp than we do.

What's interesting to me is who's left. If we had Stempniak good to go, it would be a bit less interesting, with "will he" or "won't he" on Fleury being the only real topic.

But if Stempniak is not good to go for the opener, then it could get interesting.

McGinn has been getting lots of ice time on the fourth line, so I'm assuming he's either on the ice or scratched as a reserve as will be Jooris, and possibly Nordstrom, though my gut tells me Kruger and Nordstrom have a slight leg up. Anyways, McGinn is on a one way, and is not going down. Assuming that Fleury makes it and Dahlbeck is also carried in the press box for part time duty. Then those are the guys not going down: Fleury, Dahlbeck, Nordstrom, McGinn and Jooris, IMO in that order for D and forwards.

That leaves the keeper to be: Necas, Kuok, Wallmark or PDG.

PDG has the NHL chops the most. Wallmark clearly next and shows them to be the first among the two way seasoned guys. I like both guys for different reasons, but both have NHL chops. In this case PDG probably has the inside track IF we assume Ryan plays center. But it is possible that we push Kruger up and keep Wallmark as 4th line center, or try Wallmark in the third line center. The former seems more likely.

On the other hand Necas and Kuok can both get their free 9 game look (I think. Can Kuok?). Necas has the off the hook speed and game breaking potential, but Kuok has been the better overall player IMO.

In a way, I'm not sure we can go wrong. The safest bet is that PDG gets the shot I think, with Wallmark next and Necas followed by Kuok. I don't have pre-season stats, but I'm pretty sure that Kuok has created the most actual offense per time on ice of all of them though and is a year ahead of Necas.

If Stemp is not ready, who do people think makes the cut?

35 minutes ago, remkin said:

If Stemp is not ready, who do people think makes the cut?

I think it's PDG with Jooris as the healthy extra. Delays the possibility of either being lost to waivers. I also think it could be PDG's last chance to stick. I really don't think RF liked that he tested the RFA waters, instead of just taking a deal, like McGinn did. 

I don't think Stemp goes opening night, no how, no way. At his age and not having skated for - is it two weeks? - he might even be headed to CLT for conditioning so he doesn't have to travel West early.

• Like 1

I think the fourth line is set with Nordstram - Kruger - Jooris.  All I see between McGinn and PDG is some meat to make a samich.  Same players, skill wise.  I like Kuok over both of those guys.  Wallmark is a center so I would say he's definitely back to Charlotte.  I am assuming Stemp goes on IR.

So, pick 3 of Necas, Kuok, PDG, McGinn.

I like Kuok's chances.

I don't think it's experience that tips the scale in Jooris' favor, but face-offs. McG and PDG both have over 75 games. Yes, Jooris has over 100, but he's 48 percent lifetime at the dot, with a copule of seasons at 50 percent or better. Given BP's desire to have two guys who are capable there on every line, that's probably why we got him. 

Face-offs are also a consideration in the Necas/Wallmark/Kouk discussion. If Ryan gets tossed, Skinner can win you a face-off against some guys, but in 27 draws last year he won just 10, and he's 41 percent lifetime (NHL). Maybe he's been working on draws?

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Haven't seen an update on Carrick. Any news?

He was sent to Charlotte. I didn't see if he played in the first two pre-season games