• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email address to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

New Captain Poll

The New Captain Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who WILL be chosen as the Hurricanes Next Captain

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

Looks like we will give up the rotating As this season.

Francis says captain should be named after training camp.

Hurricanes to name captain after training camp            by

Give it to Rod Brind'Amour...for one game...as an apology for what JR did to him back in 2010 ;)

Ok...so my odds are on Skinner.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Hurricanes to name captain after training camp            by

Yeah, I mean when the GM says it should happen you gotta think it will happen.

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

Looking at the poll and seeing the names lined up, it looks like a good bet it will be J. Something.

Thanks for starting the poll at the top of the page. It should be fun and I  expect it might change often over the course of the Training Camp

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Is that for sure?   Even if a full time Captain is named, I could still see rotating A's given how many good candidates there are.  To me the choice of A's is almost as interesting as the C.  Seems like it would be tough to take a letter away from Staal, Skinner, or Faulk, and Williams is certainly a prime candidate to wear one.  I could see Slavin's name in the mix but he's so "new" compared to the other likely candidates I suspect he won't get one yet unless he shares it with Faulk.  I predict that Rask won't be wearing a letter this year, and realistically I don't see Lindholm in the mix.  

Also, interesting: the article specifies that RF will choose the captain.  I'd have thought it would be Peters (with input from RF, of course).  Anyone know if it's the coach or GM who typically chooses the captain for a pro sports franchise?

edit: the article said RF would name the captain, but it references Chip as the source and here's Chip's exact tweet "Francis says captain should be named after training camp."  So it might well be Peters who actually names the captain, after all.

Edited by LakeLivin

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Is that for sure?   Even if a full time Captain is named, I could still see rotating A's

My reference was for naming a Captain instead using all As. I'm sure we could see rotating Assistant Captains but I'm not sure if we will.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Also, interesting: the article specifies that RF will choose the captain.  I'd have thought it would be Peters (with input from RF, of course).  Anyone know if it's the coach or GM who typically chooses the captain for a pro sports franchise?

edit: the article said RF would name the captain, but it references Chip as the source and here's Chip's exact tweet "Francis says captain should be named after training camp."  So it might well be Peters who actually names the captain, after all.

RF or Peters could pick and announce the new Cpt. but a lot of times management just announces who the team picked. The article wasn't really clear in that.

I cannot hazard a guess on this but have a few observations/comments to put forth. My 1st guess would be Jordan, but has anyone seen the interviews recently put up, with BP and several of the players? The hat thing that Jordan wore was , IMHO, completely inappropriate, and wonder how that obvious "barrier" he projects plays with the image I'd hope the powers that be (BP and RF) would like to be the voice of this team, both on and off the ice?

Skins would be my 2nd guess, and as collegial as he seems to be, his demeanor personally would not inspire me to "run thru a wall" for him, compared to what I'd feel for Rod. Faulk,maybe but Lindy and Rask, no.

That gets me to Justin and my personal favorite, Jacob Slavin. Here, I would think that we'd like to see a Captain be around for several years, and as inspirational as Justin is for me, I don't see that being the case?

So, I get to Jacob, and I get that he is the new kid on the block, and could be discounted by several as being too "squeaky clean", but he is or appears to be a rising star, is inspirational(to me),and projects well, not only to the media, but also to the community. Thus, he'd be my choice.

I haven't voted yet, but I will throw this out there. Before July 1, the line from Peters and Francis was, "we don't necessarily need a captain". Now the line is, "We plan on naming a captain fairly soon." Something seemed to change after free agency opened....:letssee:.

I think the captain picking will determine who we are set on long term.  Staal and Faulk have had their names pop up in random trade speculations.  Skinner is a question of affordability. 

It would be odd to give it to JW then not re-sign him because we need to give our yutes a shot.

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

I haven't voted yet, but I will throw this out there. Before July 1, the line from Peters and Francis was, "we don't necessarily need a captain". Now the line is, "We plan on naming a captain fairly soon." Something seemed to change after free agency opened....:letssee:.

Tavares may be available ? B)

Edited by gocanes0506

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Tavares may be available ? B)

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that angle! Maybe a deal is imminent.

8 hours ago, legend-1 said:

According to the results the two questions are roughly 98% the same question.

True. That was the most likely thing, I just thought a few might think that the management might go with someone who was not their choice. Looks like a couple did. (2 voted Staal for would, but none for should). Of course we also can't see which answers to question one directly link to question 2. If two people swapped them, they'd come out the same.

Still, thusfar, does look like the should and would are certainly favoring the same guy. 

23 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I could see it being Slavin, after Williams brings legitimacy back to it.

Yeah (barring the surprise acquisition of Tavares), I think there needs to be at least a couple of years that a proven guy like Willy holds the C. Skinner could do it, but I'd rather he keeps an A and focuses on hockey.

I also think (and hope) that, on this team in particular, there will be a trend toward not giving the C to anybody under 25, unless they are such clearly exceptional and natural leaders that giving it to anyone else would be crazy.

Slavin may be that kid of guy--and would be 25 a couple years from now. I could also see Lindholm after a couple more years. As great a player as SeaBass already is and will become, I don't think he is even in the conversation--at least not until he starts shaving. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

13 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I cannot hazard a guess on this but have a few observations/comments to put forth. My 1st guess would be Jordan, but has anyone seen the interviews recently put up, with BP and several of the players? The hat thing that Jordan wore was , IMHO, completely inappropriate, and wonder how that obvious "barrier" he projects plays with the image I'd hope the powers that be (BP and RF) would like to be the voice of this team, both on and off the ice?

Use The Force, KJUNKANE.  I am your Captain.

js.JPG

Also, for those wondering, V36 is the Wine company started by Cam Ward and Tim Gleason.

Edited by wxray1

9 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Jordan seem the opposite of everything I want to see in a C.  But that's been beat to death here.  Personally, I don't think Staal even wants to be a C. 

I think Staal and Faulk keep the As and JWilly gets the C.  

I think we brought J Willey in to be the leader so I expect he will be named Captain. I suppose we should keep in mind that Ron Francis was one of the youngest Captains at 22 yrs old when he was named Captain of the Whalers.  I don't know if that has a bearing on the ultimate decision but although I think it will be J. Williams I won't be stunned if the team goes in a younger direction.

Jordan probably just isn't captain material, but I hold out this tiny question about if he wants it or not. As I've opined before, on paper he is the obvious choice. Of course Captain is the furthest thing from on paper a thing can be, but him not getting it means something.

Personally, I hope he doesn't want it, and that is the reason he hasn't gotten it. If he has insight into that, and is happy with the A, then he can be an effective player and not worry about it. Might actually do him good not to worry about it.

That would also dispel any notions that the management was wary of handing the reigns to Staal v.2 right after the departure of Eric. Not wanting to have another Staal as the face due to all of the losing associated with Captain Eric. 

IMO, that would be the only thing giving the C to Jordan: if there was a 1 year moratorium on another Staal and in the meanwhile they were waiting to see if someone else would step up, but now will give it to Jordan. I don't think that is the most likely thing, just a possibility. 

We did just sign Slavin to a long term deal, so he has to at least be on the radar, but maybe too soon. 

I think Williams gets it as a stop gap, with Jordan next for the reasons outlined, and Slavin as a dark horse. I agree that there are several possible future leaders, so a couple years of Williams might be just the thing to settle on one. Also, if it's not going to be Staal, then there is no obvious choice, and picking one of the younger guys might upset what the coach insists is a good room. 

Hurricanes decide to have a team captain this season. But who will it be?

Canes coach Bill Peters said Tuesday that a captain will be named because: 1) it’s the right time and team to have a captain; and 2) he’s tired of being asked about the team not having one.