• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

Not replying to anyone specifically here just a general comment - this is the big leagues where there are many games within the game. Calling out Staal for what he did? So what. These are big boys playing for big bucks. This is how the game is played whether anyone approves or not. Now Kruger can't wait to play MN again. Thats as it should be.

No big deal on Staal IMO. Kruger initiated their exchange.

Well, my purpose in my post was to clarify what specific incident KJUN brought up, but I don't agree that punching the back of the head is a normal/good hockey play.  Its not even legal in boxing. 

I like a little meanness, a little emotion to up the compete level, a get even attitude. That's what makes a team tough to play against. That's also why Sacha was run out of town, he had none of that. Our boy Victor might be a better hockey player if he leaned that way, he certainly has the tools but is lacking in emotion.

Edited by raleighcaniac

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

Well, my purpose in my post was to clarify what specific incident KJUN brought up, but I don't agree that punching the back of the head is a normal/good hockey play.  Its not even legal in boxing. 

We all know that Eric can't punch! Any of his (fights) were mere hugging and Friday night dances. I counted 2 pushes to the back of the head. One actually slid off of Kruger. Kruger probably felt he was in a mosquito swarm. What should Eric of done if Kruger had his stick and was tugging at it with his back turned? I guess we expect Eric to just let the stick go and give up? I highly doubt that Kruger had any problem with Eric's pushing considering he was the one committing the penalty of dragging him on the ice holding his stick.

Did anybody else hear the WRAL interview on this evening’s sports asking Williams about the co-captaincy and not being given a C or A?  He said in a somber tone something like, “I’ve always been honest and a straight-shooter, so I’m going to say, yeah, I was surprised by the selections...”.  He went on to say this will not change how he’ll play, his relationship to teammates, etc.  But I found his confession of how he felt...interesting.

Edited by Red_Storm

Won't matter if they just win, but if they don't a 10 foot deep pool of drama underneath this tightrope is awaiting. For the love of god just win. 

18 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Did anybody else hear the WRAL interview on this evening’s sports asking Williams about the co-captaincy and not being given a C or A?  He said in a somber tone something like, “I’ve always been honest and a straight-shooter, so I’m going to say, yeah, I was surprised by the selections...”.  He went on to say this will not change how he’ll play, his relationship to teammates, etc.  But I found his confession of how he felt...interesting.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/audio/17005440/

Yeah, I listened to it this morning.  I had previously speculated that Williams might have even been consulted on the decision. I was obviously wrong.

Edited by LakeLivin

Last night was a great example of why I voted for Skinner as "should" be Canes captain.  Of course, that choice was based mostly on "on ice" leadership, which is only part of the relevant equation . . . 

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Last night was a great example of why I voted for Skinner as "should" be Canes captain.  Of course, that choice was based mostly on "on ice" leadership, which is only part of the relevant equation . . . 

I hear ya Lake, but he'll get his chance.

Thinking in absurdly pragmatic (and simultaneously, wishful) terms, Justin (and perhaps Jordo) is likely to move along at some point in the next three years, given the D (and forward) talent in the wings. Pragmatically, burnishing their resumes with C's isn't a bad way to help maximize their trade values.

Re the wishful part, the way RF and his team have lined up guys who will compete for spots for years to come is almost too good to talk about. As a small market org, a draft/develop/succeed/deal model would keep a leash on huge, long-term, end-of-career deals, while ensuring a constant flow of exciting young players and perennial playoff appearances.  

Mike Commadore has some frank opinions about this whole Captain thing: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/Radio/audio/17009582/

"I don't love it." Is only the start. Worth a listen from a former player. He has an interesting theory about why they did it. Not what you would think, at least never brought up here that I can recall. He does not hold back.

I agree with everything he said up to BP being that pompous, not sure I agree with that I don't personally get that vibe. I think it was interesting that RF focused mainly on all 3 letters off ice charities more so then their on ice. Did the mayor have a vote or what?

It was Commies opinion and guess he made that clear but I enjoyed his interview. It does give a player take on it. I thought his question on why did we go out and get JWilley if we weren't going to put him in a leadership role.  Good Question.

Yeah, I love him but I think Babcock sitting him in the press box colored his impressions of all things Babcock, including downstream disciples.

However, I do like that he speaks his mind.  More guys should.

• Like 2

I think he raised a key point though, before laying out his Peter's theory. I get a feeling that a decision like this was more to keep from hurting feelings than anything. My theory is that Jordan was the heir apparent, and at least his comments in this press conference suggest he wanted it (at least wants it now), but for whatever reason (perhaps a strong aversion to immediately moving to Staal 2.0, perhaps Jordan's reaction to Eric being traded, or whatever) the brass did not want to hand it to Staal last year. But naming someone else would slap Staal in the face, so...no captain. But then, all year guys were told if someone stood out, they'd name a captain. They never did, so guys probably started thinking, 'well there's no clear captain, why not me?". Suddenly we have our own little Game of Thrones with at least 4 solid (Staal, Faulk, Skinner, Slavin) and up to 6 possible candidates before Williams making 7.

I can think of three main reasons for co-captains: (I discount the Peters' ego theory, though who knows)?

1. The main candidate(s) didn't want the full responsibility. It is possible that Jordan was the guy, and he just didn't really want the full responsibility, but that seems odd. It is also possible that the team just thought he would do better with some of that pressure divided.

2. Jordan is clearly the guy, but even now the team just does not want a singular Staal face as the face of the new Canes. It is also possible that there really is a strong notion by Francis and even Peters that the Staals were given way too much power and deference when JR, already Eric's buddy, brought in his brother, slapped on the A before arrival and gave them both long term, big buck deals with full NTC.'s. It is very possible that they know Jordan is the guy, but simply cannot see coronating Staal the II. 

3. There were two clear guys and they didn't want to have one of them to have their feelings hurt.  This was raised by Commadore albeit a bit dismissively. Still, it could be. Given that guys were auditioning all year last year, it could be that J and Faulk emerged as the two most obvious guys internally, and each sort of had his own group of supporters, and it may have been felt divisive to pick one.

I also think that the year long audition for captain is what did Justin Williams in. If we had a captain and he retired or was traded, that would be different. But the whole year long "who's going to step up and be captain" thing went on all year and into the off-season. There is an aspect of this whole thing were giving it to Justin Williams would have answered it this way.

Who among you will show yourselves ready to be captain? Answer, after a full year, "none of you losers we're going with Justin Williams".

Ultimately, when you look at the way this unfolded, it's clear that BPRF were not okay with letting the C ride another year. When you take that as the starting point, and that the letters went to the three longest-tenured skaters in the org, I think the decision is a pretty accurate reflection of the status of the Canes rebuild. That's not to say I like it; I don't. But I can also see how, after the Eric experience, the brain trust would be averse to painting itself into a corner by naming one guy captain, especially one named Staal with six years left on his deal. Conversely, giving it to Faulk or Skinner suggests the org will re-up them when their deals end.

Further, despite the outside perception that none of these three seized the job last year, it could well be that all three of them effectively did, inside the room. We'll never know.

As long as the team wins hockey games and, to a man, works to correct things when it doesn't, I don't care who's captain--or what Mike Commodore thinks about it.

17 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

it doesn't matter.

It won't matter until it matters and then it will matter a lot. IMO this was a bad decision on so many levels. Hopefully it won;t bite us for a few seasons but it will bite us in the end.

26 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It won't matter until it matters and then it will matter a lot. IMO this was a bad decision on so many levels. Hopefully it won;t bite us for a few seasons but it will bite us in the end.

Bite us in the end, or bite us in the end?

Mike Commodore was one of my favorite players in the Cup year, and the year and a half or whatever he was here afterwards, but who is he to judge Bill Peters? Neither he, nor any of us (well, unless Brindy tells him, which is unlikely) will know exactly how this decision was made. As for making Williams Captain, that was my vote in the poll, but I can see reasons why the Canes might not do it. The repercussions from demoting 2 out of 4 Alternates from last year could be divisive with different factions in the locker room. I think we created a monster having 4 Alternates instead of 3 last year, and pushing out more than one to make room for Willie would have been tough. I agree with OBX that having co-captains is going to cause a problem sooner or later unless one of them gets traded. I did like Commodore's description of Brind'amour as Captain being "intimidating." You can see where Eric would never have had that aura, and I'm not sure who in our leadership group has it now.

• Like 1