• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

• “It will be a group decision,” Peters said. “I think it’s important to get everybody’s ideas. When you ask people, not only do I ask them but I also ask them why? Give me an example of why you picked that guy. Give me another one. Give me an example of how he showed leadership.”

• Asked, in hindsight, if the Canes should have had a captain last season, Francis said, “We went with four As and I don’t think looking back we necessarily say, ‘We should have done this.’ I think we were comfortable with that decision. And quite honestly, I’d be comfortable without one this year. I could go that way, too. I still think we’ve got a good group in the locker room who are leaders.”

To my mind both statements are fairly informative and I find them positive, for different reasons.

Edited by LakeLivin

Down the road I think there's a really high probability that Slavin and Aho get letters (I recall Aho diagramming out a play to Jordan while they were on the bench last season). But I just don't think that Peters will put that additional pressure on players so young on this team at this time.

I believe Williams will get the C but I think Skinner should get it. Skinner has put up over 50 pts in 4 out of 5 seasons where he played at least 70 games. He has decrease his +/-  the last two seasons drastically and has been playing a much better defensive game to complement his scoring. There were a few games last year when the team was down a few goals and Skinner came out of the locker room and took control of the game to get us even or even push ahead. At 25 he has runway left in his career baring injury and is still considered part of the youth. He has matured the last few years as well and is a better all around player. Justin is a leader as well but do we want to name him the C for a 2 yr span when he will be 37? I realize he can provide a ton of leadership and also provide mentoring to the youth but it would be a short time Captaincy.

57 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I realize he can provide a ton of leadership and also provide mentoring to the youth but it would be a short time Captaincy.

As is often the case, slap, we're of a like mind on this. From a pure numbers and play standpoint, I think its gotta be either Skins or Slavin. And I think both have strong leadership qualities. Of all those on the roster last year, they are the two (IMO) who can arguably be said to have answered the call.

The reason I want Williams for two years is that I think neither of the other two needs the extra burden of the Captaincy at a time when anything less than making the playoffs will be unacceptable. Slavin just signed a long-term deal and is just 23. In two years he'll still have five years left on this deal. We'll also know in two years whether Skinner re-ups. Williams is the perfect bridge, IMO, as the returning hero from the Cup year.

I'll admit it's also personal. Before I had a Skinner sweater, I had a Williams one. I'd seen him play in Philly before he (and as it turned out, I) landed in NC. It was clear even back then that he'd be special; he just never quit on any play and charged off the bench for every shift. By virtue of his success everywhere he's played, I think he's the right guy to show the Canes' future leaders what real focus and leadership looks like, just as they hit the prime of their careers--so they can take what they learn, apply it, and pass it along.

From the results so far it's Justin Williams or bust.  When I voted, it was more of who shouldn't be C more than who probably should be C, even if only for two years.  Even if it's only two years, our next C will be better for it.  I favor the bridge approach.

• Like 1

Even though he has not played here in 7 years, I think Justin (Williams) is the C. 3 Stanley Cups and a Conn-Smythe. And he bridges the time when some of our younger players separate themselves for leadership qualities for the next transition. Next big question- who gets the A's? I'm not a fan of rotating them. Eventually Slavin, Skinner, and maybe Aho should be in the conversation, but what effect will it have if you strip an A from Jordan or Faulk? I can't say J. Staal or Faulk have done anything to deserve losing the letter. But Skinner and Slavin have certainly earned consideration. I guess in the end, the players (and coaches) know who the leaders are in the room. I'm not even sure most players even care if they wear a letter. 

Think it's a coincidence that Williams is signed and now they announce there will be a "C" named after not caring last year?  What changed here?

When I look at the poll, everybody else has either been here long enough to grab the job and hasn't (or won't), or is too young (I don't like the young captain approach).  Players need time to learn to play in the league without the pressure of being a locker room leader. 

I think one factor in who gets an A this season will be how the lines fall together. I don't think you put an A on the sweater of the guy who is skating alongside the captain for the majority of his ice time. To me, that says J. Staal and Faulk will keep A's, or maybe they'll make it Staal and Slavin. Maybe give the A to two defensemen?

13 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Let the next captaincy be a group decision, this one has too much riding on it to let the players whom I'm sure have cliques to decide. 

Everybody can wear all their Championship Rings into the locker room on day 1.

Whoever has the most, wins the C.

Edited by super_dave_1

With 24 votes in, the consensus is pretty clear. The board predicts and concurs: Justin Williams.

There were a few who thought Williams would, but Slavin (or Skinner) should, and two thought J would, but shouldn't.

Not one board member thinks Jordan should be Captain. So if he gets it, it would be a board shocker.

If J Williams gets it, Slavin and Skinner with the current inside track after that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, remkin said:

With 24 votes in, the consensus is pretty clear. The board predicts and concurs: Justin Williams.

There were a few who thought Williams would, but Slavin (or Skinner) should, and two thought J would, but shouldn't.

Not one board member thinks Jordan should be Captain. So if he gets it, it would be a board shocker.

If J Williams gets it, Slavin and Skinner with the current inside track after that.

I found this interesting. Not a lot of love for Jordan. I read a few articles yesterday predicting that Jordan gets the C. If Jordan wears the C does this elevate his play to another level? I don't think anyone would be disappointed if the  C gave Jordan a little more edge. He has more talent with the lines this year which could elevate his game as well.He's not my choice but if he got it and his game is elevated as a result, I would not be disappointed. The weather in Raleigh the last few days has been fall like which signals the puck is closer to being dropped. YES!

34 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I found this interesting. Not a lot of love for Jordan. I read a few articles yesterday predicting that Jordan gets the C. If Jordan wears the C does this elevate his play to another level? I don't think anyone would be disappointed if the  C gave Jordan a little more edge. He has more talent with the lines this year which could elevate his game as well.He's not my choice but if he got it and his game is elevated as a result, I would not be disappointed. The weather in Raleigh the last few days has been fall like which signals the puck is closer to being dropped. YES!

I don't know that it's so much lack of love for Jordan as accepted reality that while he may be the team's highest-paid player, best two-way player, best center (i said may be), he simply isn't leader material.  I think he's a shoe-in for an A, but a C just isn't his calling, in my opinion and apparently in a few other people's opinions as well.

55 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I found this interesting. Not a lot of love for Jordan. I read a few articles yesterday predicting that Jordan gets the C. If Jordan wears the C does this elevate his play to another level? I don't think anyone would be disappointed if the  C gave Jordan a little more edge. 

I postulated this general idea last year. Somehow I was thinking that if it were made "his" team, he'd take it on his back and lock in on staying in Raleigh even after his brother was dealt. A small part of me still holds out for that idea. In that scenario, it would be more a case of upper management not being in a hurry to slap a C on another Staal without a waiting period, more than Jordan not being ready. Quiet leadership is a thing.  I still think, despite the few (2) votes that he will be named, that this is possible, but I think unlikely at this point.

Just seems that could have been done at the end of the year if that was the plan.

Justin Williams just makes sense to me. Not only the bridge thing, but he'd probably actually be a good captain. He's always played on teams with a dominant player as captain, so he's never really had the chance, but he has a lot of great qualities and tons of the right kind of experience. 

"If" that's how Jordan feels that sounds like a guy we not only don't need as Captain but don't even need on the team? I mean ya'll are pitching that he hates it here and needs the keys to the locker room to be happy? That's not healthy for the team at all.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

My response to the poll was in line with not picking Jordan...because I felt he didn't want it, otherwise it would have already been his. If he has changed his mind and thus has fully bought into the team long term (something there was doubt about after Eric left) then I would have no problems with him being Captain.

If Jordan was "the guy", he would have already been "the guy".  Whatever "it" is, I haven't seen "it" up until now.  Why is he going to get "it" and be "the guy" if somebody hangs a letter on his jersey?  To me, a captain has earned that honor, and it is an honor.  I don't believe in giving a guy the honor, and then hoping he lives up to it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

If Jordan was "the guy", he would have already been "the guy".  Whatever "it" is, I haven't seen "it" up until now.  Why is he going to get "it" and be "the guy" if somebody hangs a letter on his jersey?  To me, a captain has earned that honor, and it is an honor.  I don't believe in giving a guy the honor, and then hoping he lives up to it.

I think that's probably right. It would be interesting to know if he wanted it or not. If he doesn't, I'd say it's unfortunate, but not necessarily that bad. Some guys rise to it, and some guys actually worsen on the ice with the added pressure. I guess this is an interesting topic in part because it's so speculative. It's so hard to get the intel from the room. We do see J in interviews, and admittedly he doesn't shine there. I guess I'll always wonder if Francis just was not having it pass directly from E to J. I guess if that was the issue Jordan might get it. 

But 90% of the signs point away from him. 

The fact that Peters is getting input from everyone makes me comfortable with whoever he ends up choosing.  Note that "getting input" doesn't mean he's leaving it up to a vote.

Win like you've done it before.  Win like it's what you expect to do.  If that's gracious, so be it.  If not, they'll get over it. 

My sore loser thing is a personal thing.  In my younger days, I was on a lot of bad sports teams.  Losing sucks.  I get so worn out watching the interviews after the games and the ease with which our so called leaders seem to take losing.  It's easy to be a gracious winner, and we are taught to NOT be sore losers.  I was always a sore loser, and don't give a flying damn who's feelings get hurt.  I want a captain that hates to lose.  I want a captain that losing eats at his soul.  I want a captain that can't take it to the point where he gets in somebody's face, anybody's face.  

I'm also the guy that has asked guys outside the gym while playing pickup ball with fellow church members.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Note that "getting input" doesn't mean he's leaving it up to a vote.

One of the guys interviewing him on XM said something along the lines of "letting the players vote, but the coaches do the counting of votes".