• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Win like you've done it before.  Win like it's what you expect to do.  If that's gracious, so be it.  If not, they'll get over it. 

My sore loser thing is a personal thing.  In my younger days, I was on a lot of bad sports teams.  Losing sucks.  I get so worn out watching the interviews after the games and the ease with which our so called leaders seem to take losing.  It's easy to be a gracious winner, and we are taught to NOT be sore losers.  I was always a sore loser, and don't give a flying damn who's feelings get hurt.  I want a captain that hates to lose.  I want a captain that losing eats at his soul.  I want a captain that can't take it to the point where he gets in somebody's face, anybody's face.  

I'm also the guy that has asked guys outside the gym while playing pickup ball with fellow church members.

I like it.  I'm not ready for talk of any loser.  I think we feel the same way.

I just couldn't say "sore winner."  Gracious came to mind, but not a prerequisite. Just the W part.

21 hours ago, remkin said:

It would be interesting to know if he wanted it or not. If he doesn't, I'd say it's unfortunate, but not necessarily that bad.

I think some guys just want to play, and to push guys without having to (or appearing to) pull rank, and it seems that J is one of them. It's probably also true that after Eric's experience here, Jordan saw that "trying" another Staal at C probably wouldn't be good. Jordan is super smart, that's obvious. He may have the charisma of Al Gore, but anybody that's isolated on him even for one shift can see how he thinks the game. I'd rather have him focused on doing what he does - make every guy that shows up on his flanks better - than worried about "speaking for the team" post-game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think some guys just want to play, and to push guys without having to (or appearing to) pull rank, and it seems that J is one of them. It's probably also true that after Eric's experience here, Jordan saw that "trying" another Staal at C probably wouldn't be good. Jordan is super smart, that's obvious. He may have the charisma of Al Gore, but anybody that's isolated on him even for one shift can see how he thinks the game. I'd rather have him focused on doing what he does - make every guy that shows up on his flanks better - than worried about "speaking for the team" post-game.

I think that is most likely Top. If so, he may actually play better once someone else takes that question off his back.

From my time in the Marine Corps I can say there are some leadership parallels between pro sport Captains and Alternates and Marine Corps leadership. Who on the Canes best exemplifies the below leadership principals?  As is common in sports it often seems to revolve around who gets the most scoring points and I am not a believer in that metric. I think J. Williams is the best pick for this years crop based on the below just like R. Hainsey would have met the below criterion last season because they meet/met most all of these leadership principals. Not all of the leadership principals here necessarily apply in the same context as this is just sport and not war but it takes the 'he's a nice guy' equation out of the picture.

Dependability:  The certainty of proper performance of duty.

Bearing:  Creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance and personal conduct at all times.

Courage:  The mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.

Decisiveness:  Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.

Endurance: The mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.

Enthusiasm: The display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.

Initiative: Taking action in the absence of orders.

Integrity: Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.

Judgment: The ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.

Justice: Giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. The ability

to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.

Knowledge: Understanding of a science or an art. The range of one’s information, including

professional knowledge and an understanding of your Marines.

Tact: The ability to deal with others without creating offense.

Unselfishness: Avoidance of providing for one’s own comfort and personal advancement at the

expense of others.

Loyalty: The quality of faithfulness to country, the Corps, the unit, to one’s seniors,

subordinates and peers.

Edited by raleighcaniac

I agree with that.  The short answer really is that i don't think the Captain should be the person who is the best at his job on the ice - it should be the person who is the best at making others do their best on the ice.  Even if that means we end up with a 4th-line role player as the Captain - it's about being the leader more so than being the doer.

Indeed those qualities will provide a strong leader and ideally the Captain would have those, and the best Captains do. I would argue though that in the case of an NHL team, the player has to have some level of production on the ice. I agree that just giving it to the top scoring kid is not always best, but if a guy is marginal on the ice, I think it is hard for him to lead professional athletes.

I think that is part of what happened with Brind'Amour at the end. It sure seems like he has most of the things on that leadership list, but as his game fell way off, it seemed that some players may have tuned him out.

Still, we have a lot of guys (due to pretty decent depth) that contribute enough on the ice to be considered. I think Justin William's productivity over the last few years is enough, especially given the way the guy competes. I don't know how many of those boxes he checks, but I'm thinking a lot of them.

It is pretty interesting that with 30 votes in, Jordan Staal does not have one vote for "should" be captain. It will be fascinating up in here if he gets it.

Leafs just announced that they won't have a captain for the second season in a row.  Apparently Mike Babcock doesn't feel that it's critical for someone to formally wear the C.  Wonder if he's targeting Matthews but feels like he should wait another year or two?

One more thing. No votes for "Should" or "Will" for Justin Faulk. He's our 3 time All Star, wore the A. Any opinions on why not Justin Fauk?

4 hours ago, remkin said:

One more thing. No votes for "Should" or "Will" for Justin Faulk. He's our 3 time All Star, wore the A. Any opinions on why not Justin Fauk?

For me same reason as not wanting JStaal.  He should have taken the job by now.  If any of these guys truly deserved it, they would have seized the job, made it impossible for them to not be named captain.

• Like 1

I don't think either Faulk or Jordan are dynamic enough, personality-wise. Like it or not, part of the job is handling the media. Yours is the first locker they'll come to when you lose and too often the last when you win. I've never heard J or Faulk say a blatantly wrong thing in front of the cameras, they just don't look particularly comfortable there. Williams, Skinner, and Slavin are. 

5 hours ago, remkin said:

I have some, but I'll pass because I don't want to sound like I'm trying to run down Faulk. ;)  

50 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Don't look now, but...

I voted Justin but I would have no issues with Skinner.   I think his attitude is a big plus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Don't look now, but...

I also voted Williams, but at practice today, Skinner was sure acting like a guy in a leadership role.  Maybe the idea of a guy skating in from the outside and grabbing that C was a wake up call

• Like 2

I still want Williams to bridge the gap. I don't trust Skins to not let the refs get the best of him at least 2-3 times this season and it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't seem to always trickle into the next game(s).

Let Williams do his thing and see where you're at with Skins and Slavin. 

Edited by legend-1

Spades need to be called spades by peers this season and I don't see anyone whose been apart of the good ole boys losing club calling anyone out whose not giving it their all aside from someone whose not been apart of the room before and thus has no friends to upset.

I would be thoroughly disappointed if it's someone aside from Williams. Williams can't do what he was brought here to do standing behind some young Captain and attempting to pull strings like a puppeteer and hoping the puppet responds.

• Like 1

Skinner has been the heir apparent for a while, and particularly now that he's found his two-way game, I'd be fine with him. I do think Justin would be a good bridge and voted for him in the poll, but as the article I linked noted, it looks like BP has talked to a lot of people in recent weeks and that the majority have pointed to Skins. It may not be the player vote many of us have hoped for, but it's the next-best thing--and this much is certain: Skinner is absolutely starving for the playoffs.

I've never been concerned about his complaining to the refs. Sometimes you've gotta tell the stripes what you think, and the beauty of hockey is that the guys with the letters are given the widest berth in doing so. I don't recall Skinner having issues with refs last year like he did in years past, and have to believe that wearing an A in half the games probably helped with that.

If he's the guy, what'll really be interesting is who get the As. I'd have to think Faulk and Staal, neither of whom did anything to justify losing them. 

17 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Don't look now, but...

17 hours ago, hag65 said:

I voted Justin but I would have no issues with Skinner.   I think his attitude is a big plus.

15 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I also voted Williams, but at practice today, Skinner was sure acting like a guy in a leadership role.  Maybe the idea of a guy skating in from the outside and grabbing that C was a wake up call

14 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Skinner would be fine by me as well.

This says it all for me:

"I want to be counted on."

My prediction and vote would be Slavin, but I would have zero problems with it being the new and improved Skinner that we've had since Eric was traded. The only one I would have a problem with is Williams. Not that he is not a good guy and capable, but having a guy that just joined the team be anointed the new leader is going to rub some guys the wrong way...even if they don't admit it to others or themselves.

Edited by MinJaBen
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Not that he is not a good guy and capable, but having a guy that just joined the team be anointed the new leader is going to rub some guys the wrong way...even if they don't admit it to others or themselves.

You mean just like how J was handed the "A" immediately after being traded, just because of the name on the back of his jersey?