• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

Skins being Captain makes me cringe like trusting your 16 year old to drive your car for the first time I guess is the best comparison I can come up with. I'm not against it but he better not scratch the paint. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MinJaBen said:

Not that he is not a good guy and capable, but having a guy that just joined the team be anointed the new leader is going to rub some guys the wrong way...even if they don't admit it to others or themselves.

Yeah, I agree. The "how" of it was always my concern too, even though I voted for JWilly. That's easy from to do from a long-frustrated fan's perspective, but organizationally, I'm sure it is not lost on anyone on the roster that with the additions of Williams and (just this week) Cole, this is their chance to do the last generation proud and build on the foundation it laid. That's pressure enough.

Let Skinner, who has apparently answered BP's call, keep the boys in the room on board, with maybe some tutelage from him, Brindy, Willy, Ron and Eric. Pretty strong group of consultants.

24 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I voted that Williams would get it but that Skinner should get it. Looks like  Captain material to me https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-wake-county-public-schools-launch-new-partnership/c-291229432

I almost posted that pic. GREAT minds think alike. (And apparently OURS do, too.)

I think hnging the C on JWilly would be a bit different than hanging the A on JStaal.  Face it, JR loved him some EStaal, and all things Staal in general.  He gave up a king's ransomed to bring in baby brother to make EStaal happy.  Hanging the A on him reeked of nepotism and I'm sure the guys in the room felt that way.  

Now to JWilly.  He was brought in to provide leadership as well as play on the ice.  He has the gravitas to walk in the room and make a difference in a group that guys had a year to step up and take the reins, but didn't.  Sure, some panties may get wadded, but deep down, the guys will get it.  Unyank them panties from yer butt crack, and get to hockeying 

On Skinner, at camp yesterday, he surely looked like one of the leaders.  He was smiling and laughing, but was quick to shift gears when needed.  In particular, they were running a drill where 4 guys would pass around and the DMan would get a shot off from the point.  Just those 4 and the goalie.  Then they'd crash the goal and try to jam any rebound in.  On one scrum, the puck was still live and the next group was coming in.  Skinner skated right out in the slot to prevent the Dman from firing a slapshot into someone.

I posted earlier that I'm not against Williams getting the C as he has many leadership qualities that will help the team and he will do so regardless of wearing the C or not. My main issue is that I am against a bridge C until someone else is ready for it. I suggest that Skinners 2 way game over the last three years proves he is ready for it. From previous post Skinner has put up over 50 pts in 4 out of 5 seasons where he played at least 70 games. He has decrease his +/-  the last two seasons drastically and has been playing a much better defensive game to complement his scoring. There were a few games last year when the team was down a few goals and Skinner came out of the locker room and took control of the game to get us even or even push ahead. At 25 he has runway left in his career baring injury and is still considered part of the youth. He has matured the last few years as well and is a better all around player.  I love Jwilly but at 35 his skills will diminish quickly, is this the year that that begins? I hope not but I could see a possibility that the youth movement could expect more if that is the case. He offers many intangibles that a C is not required. The youth may not be in such a hurry to offer up a C for a new guy who hasn't laced up the skates in a "NEW" cane uniform as of yet. JWILLY has also stated in a round about way that he is not here to be the savior and it's not all about him.  The organization has been all about long term moves during this rebuild and offering up a 2 tear bridge just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

I voted Skinner should and will.  He put the team on his back several  times last year, is comfortable talking to the press, and even his negatives (like issues with the refs) are driven by his high compete level, which is a bigger positive imo.  His growth in maturity, both on the ice (defense) and personality-wise seem apparent to me, and the fact that he's probably our best player is an added plus.  I also love that even though he's super competitive he also seems to really enjoy himself out there, even in pregames or practice.  

I see giving it to Slavin as somewhat analogous to bringing a kid up from the AHL too quickly.  Let the kid get fully established before thinking of weighting him down with that additional pressure/ responsibility.

While Williams has excellent credentials, as others have mentioned, I'm afraid that the "dis" of giving the C to a player who has never played a game with this Canes team would dilute all of the positives he brings, and I see him providing substantial leadership regardless of what letter he wears.  Give him a D, for team Dad. :D

Two other thoughts:

1. I don't view someone formally wearing the C as having as much impact as many of the others on this board.  RF and BP have repeatedly said they like the leadership in the room, and we just added to it with the addition of Willy.  The only way I see adding whoever as captain as having as much impact as some others seem to think it will, is if it's this guy.

3891669-store_captainamerica_avengers.pn

2. All of my thoughts about choices for the Canes C are just my impressions, I don't know enough to pretend that they mean much more than that.  I have enough faith in Bill Peters and his process that I won't disagree with whatever choice he ends up making.  He knows the candidates and the room.

Edited by LakeLivin

Interesting shifting of sentiment. I wonder if a re-poll would come out different. But in the combined end point of the poll Skinner was second.

In the end it's a matter of who the guys on the team look to and how they see guys in their role in the room as well as on the ice/bench. I think Skinner is a smart kid, but in interviews he's introspective more than authoritative and can't seem to stop rubbing his neck or arm. If he gets it someone should try to get him to stop that tic. But that is very minor. The points well made by others are to the issue: two way game, carrying the team, things SD sees at practice, that he got the A already, etc.

I will say this. Not all leaders have to be stamped out of the same mold from central casting. The fact that Skinner smiles when he scores and has a lighter side, does not mean that he cannot be an effective leader. Sometimes things can use some lightening up. I played HS basketball, and tennis and I played my very best when in the "zone". To me the zone was a combination of intense and fun/relaxed. Seems paradoxical, but it's not. It's playing with confidence rather than nerves. Playing to make the play rather than avoid the mistake. There are two sides to the motivational thing. To be an effective long term leader the majority has to be positive and upbeat, or guys will just tune you out. Save the intense negatives for those few times it's really needed. As to his chirping at the refs, the guy has had his head handed to him several times and not always stood up for by his teammates. That leaves the refs to try to prevent yet another head hunt concussion. "Guys I'm getting killed out here. A little help?".

Anyway, I do think J WIlly has the chops and is not quite analogous to J Staal. But Staal was given an A and this is the C. Williams himself would IMHO be an excellent captain, but there could be a sense of "none of us sorry chumps could grab the captaincy over a year, so they had to bring this guy in". I don't know.

I think this is a fascinating area of discussion because people are passionate about it, but it is also an area that is very hard for us to really know how guys are viewed in the room and on the ice in this regard. The only direct evidence is who got A's and that no one got the C last year.

Now watch it go to Jordan.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

. . .

The fact that Skinner smiles when he scores and has a lighter side, does not mean that he cannot be an effective leader. Sometimes things can use some lightening up. I played HS basketball, and tennis and I played my very best when in the "zone". To me the zone was a combination of intense and fun/relaxed. Seems paradoxical, but it's not. It's playing with confidence rather than nerves. Playing to make the play rather than avoid the mistake.

. . .

Funny you should say that. I started to express the exact same sentiment in my post above (including personal playing experience), but decided it was long enough as it was, so left it at "I like that Skinner seems to be having fun out there while still maintaining his intensity".

Canes Country put up a poll yesterday (after the Skinner comments and an article where two of their writers picked Skinner), so probably a bit tilted, but still:

Skinner 39%

Williams 27%

Staal 13%

Slavin 13%

They also stole my point that the new Captain will have a first name that starts with J. I guess it's pretty obvious, but I still wonder if they check us out from time to time.

I will add this. I'm not sure why Peters et all would float Skinner's name if Jordan Staal was going to be the pick.

If I'm right, it is probably a two man race between Skinner and Williams, with a long shot for Slavin. And if that's true then it is simply a matter of whether Skinner is ready now or needs the Williams bridge. But bringing his name up, then not giving it to him puts Skinner in a bit of an awkward spot.

By George that means it's going to Skinner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

can't seem to stop rubbing his neck or arm. If he gets it someone should try to get him to stop that tic. But that is very minor. 

As to his chirping at the refs, the guy has had his head handed to him several times and not always stood up for by his teammates. 

I always notice how he continually rubs his neck as well. It drives me a little nuts but I wouldn't try to stop him from doing it. Heck no-one asked MJ to stop sticking out his tongue as he was raining down 3's from behind the line. In regards to the ref's, most teams captains are always chirping with the ref's.

One thing I think might change if Skinner gets the C is how teammates respond to shots he takes from opponents on the ice. It shouldn't matter, but I think seeing your captain get run is going to generate a much more visceral reaction than we've seen in the past. Wouldn't even be surprised to see Old Man Willy show the kids how it's done if it came to that.

• Like 2

Not that it necessarily would come into play but Skinner being the C might give us a home town discount when it comes to UFA time in 2019/20. NTC starts in 2017/18.

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Quit messing around and name somebody already.  Time is wasting here.

GMRF said they would likely name him the Saturday after the last preseason game. (at Caniac Carnival).

• Like 1

On 9/24/2017 at 12:28 PM, hag65 said:

GMRF said they would likely name him the Saturday after the last preseason game. (at Caniac Carnival).

If it is not soon it will turn into a Carnival and Circus all in one.

Completely away from the team and completely guessing, but it would seem to come down to "Is Skinner the guy?" and "Is he ready?".

Skinner's name was floated by the team, and has been picked up in the media as the most likely guy. But Williams gives that gravitas and gives the team a couple of years to really settle this once and for all. Of mild interest to this is Skinner's current deal which ends in two years, just when William's deal ends. Not really sure what that means. Could be the C is offered to Skinner in two years as a "re-sign and be our Captain" thing. Or, could be that making him Captain might make him want to stay even more. I don't really think that factors in very much though. It would just in the sense that if we are going to turn the C to Skinner, it would be nice if he planned on sticking around for a while. But still, they'll pick him if he's ready.

It is interesting that Skinner has risen so fast. A part of how we see people as leaders is simply having them put in that position. Then they look more like leaders. But even in the summer, most of what I was hearing was Skinner smiles too much, etc. Now he's the media and larger fan poll's favorite.

We voted J. Willy though.

Not having a Captain for a year makes this even more intense. The fact that this team is ready to potentially launch makes it a great time to be captain too.

A small part of me still wonders if we have Jordan Staal's situation completely figured out.

Reading opinions here, and how we voted, it seems that the large majority of members think it's just not Jordan's thing. He isn't really cut out for it, and probably doesn't even want it. Two related but not identical things. But his potential captaincy could also be colored by the whole Eric thing. I had thought that one possibility for the year off of captaincy would be to create a break between Staal's and add a sense of legitimacy to Jordan being captain. as he "earned it". Sure does not seem like that's what was going on though.

I guess Jordan could be a dark horse surprise, but really seems unlikely.

I wonder if J Williams would be easier in a way for Jordan since he has more gravitas, playoff experience, etc. than J does, while Skinner doesn't.

Anyway, at this point Staal certainly seems like a distant third in this race at best.

On 9/5/2017 at 10:09 PM, bluedevil58 said:

J Willy will be captain.   If not I would be shocked.   Slavin will eventually be captain though.  IMO.  

I say JWillie as Captain now, Skinner in 2 years.  I think Slavin might be next.