• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

I'm not advocating for Skinner or anyone else, but when I remember Brindy's game falling off a cliff in one season at roughly Williams' age, is there some risk to giving the C to someone who for the players on this team, just arrived? If age catches up with him right after he is made the captain, that would be messy. The Canes really mishandled transferring the C from Rod to Eric. I think this created a burden on E. Staal he would not have otherwise had. We have so many really young players that Skinner at 25 is almost a graybeard. Maybe he is a safer choice. I'm surprised almost no one has talked of Faulk as a serious or likely candidate. He's had an A for a few years now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I'm not advocating for Skinner or anyone else, but when I remember Brindy's game falling off a cliff in one season at roughly Williams' age, is there some risk to giving the C to someone who for the players on this team, just arrived? If age catches up with him right after he is made the captain, that would be messy. The Canes really mishandled transferring the C from Rod to Eric. I think this created a burden on E. Staal he would not have otherwise had. We have so many really young players that Skinner at 25 is almost a graybeard. Maybe he is a safer choice. I'm surprised almost no one has talked of Faulk as a serious or likely candidate. He's had an A for a few years now.

And has yet to take the C meaning he isn't captain material.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 12:56 PM, OBXer said:

I guess we want to let the drama build before tossing out the C

Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip15h15 hours ago

Peters says the plan is still to name a team captain before the season opener.

I guess I should of taken this as precisely right before the season opener as in during the player intros.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I guess I should of taken this as precisely right before the season opener as in during the player intros.:rolleyes:

It's only drama if you make it that way.  ;)

6 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's only drama if you make it that way.  ;)

Personally I couldn't care less when they announce it. I think it is humorous. No drama here. Actually I wouldn't mind if they announced it opening night during intros to get the fan base a little more whipped up.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Actually I wouldn't mind if they announced it opening night during intros to get the fan base a little more whipped up.

That's actually a pretty cool idea!!

25 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

That's actually a pretty cool idea!!

It is, but I'm not sure RF would be that in-your-face toward Jordo's bro, or all the fans still wearing his sweater. If it's scripted right, though, it could be a great moment.

18 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Personally I couldn't care less when they announce it. I think it is humorous. No drama here. Actually I wouldn't mind if they announced it opening night during intros to get the fan base a little more whipped up.

Typically they do announce the entire team on opening night in numerical order, EXCEPT the alternates and captain go last, so it is tailor made to announce it that night during player intros. 

It would be an interesting publicity stunt for those who follow the team closely (not necessarily who shows up on opening night*).

I had been thinking though that it could be a big distraction for the team trying to win a game. I guess they could let everyone on the team know and swear them to secrecy.

I was thinking they'd do it before opening night. Let whoever it is get a couple of days of the news being out. Answer some questions, let it settle it at least a little before game day. I'll stick with that.

*I do think people who follow the team closely do show up for the opener, but so do many other people as evidenced by the huge drop in attendance for non opening night games.

I'd also argue that it would still be a pretty cool moment when the actually announce the Captain, even if people already know who it is.

14 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Opening night is the right time

Too award show-ish to me.  "And the winner is...".  I think it would be too distracting to the real goal, which of course is to finally have a good October and not go into November already in a hole.  And somehow it seems even less-right when Eric Staal's going to be in the house.  I can see how it could build some excitement for fans, but with half the crowd that night likely being suits or casuals who don't know much about the team anyway, i'd be naming the captain today and focus the rest of the week on the game, not leaving such a big question in the air until the last minute.  We wouldn't want to hire a new coach and have Francis wait until gametime to announce who the new coach is.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Too award show-ish to me.  "And the winner is...".  I think it would be too distracting to the real goal, which of course is to finally have a good October and not go into November already in a hole.  And somehow it seems even less-right when Eric Staal's going to be in the house.  I can see how it could build some excitement for fans, but with half the crowd that night likely being suits or casuals who don't know much about the team anyway, i'd be naming the captain today and focus the rest of the week on the game, not leaving such a big question in the air until the last minute.  We wouldn't want to hire a new coach and have Francis wait until gametime to announce who the new coach is.

You're probably right.  The Canes probably don't need to do anything to build excitement or interest in the team.  Things are great just like the are.

With Minnesota our foe on opening night, has anyone thought how eerie it would be for #11 to get the C?

Gosh realm, you beat me to that thought?? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

32 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

You're probably right.  The Canes probably don't need to do anything to build excitement or interest in the team.  Things are great just like the are.

Meh, if hyping up the awarding of the C will create more interest in the team than getting off to a good October, have at it.  If they're going to do that, then at least go with Rem's thought of at least letting the team know in advance.  Not saying we have any sulkers on the team but if there are a couple guys who think they might be getting it and they don't, i'd rather them know now instead of finding out 5 minutes before puck drop.

5 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Meh, if hyping up the awarding of the C will create more interest in the team than getting off to a good October, have at it.  If they're going to do that, then at least go with Rem's thought of at least letting the team know in advance.  Not saying we have any sulkers on the team but if there are a couple guys who think they might be getting it and they don't, i'd rather them know now instead of finding out 5 minutes before puck drop.

You seriously think they wouldn't tell the team beforehand?  Having a little drama in the arena on opening night would be neat for the fans, and that and a good October start aren't mutually exclusive.

Honestly, the players probably all know now.  Doing it on opening night would be a cool thing for the fans in attendance, and may get a little more TV coverage.  It would just be fun.  What do you have against fun?  Fun is fun to have.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 4

"We should have it decided Thursday or Friday, I think." —Bill Peters on naming a captain.

Peters and Francis are trolling everybody.  They know.  If they don't know now, we don't have anybody worthy of being captain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I was assuming the players would know well in advance. I was under the impression that the team was part of the decision as well so of course they would be told in advance.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Carolina HurricanesVerified account @NHLCanes6m6 minutes ago

"We should have it decided Thursday or Friday, I think." —Bill Peters on naming a captain.

I think it is already decided. Noticed he just said "decided Thursday or Friday"  I didn't hear  the announce word.  I still have a chance.:D. On left wing # 53 and your Captain of the Carolina Hurricanes....Jeff Skinner.

34 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I think it is already decided. Noticed he just said "decided Thursday or Friday"  I didn't hear  the announce word.  I still have a chance.:D. On left wing # 53 and your Captain of the Carolina Hurricanes....Jeff Skinner.

Sounded to me like it is the A that is still up in the air.

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Sounded to me like it is the A that is still up in the air.

Wouldn't surprise me, seems like there's a lot more decent candidates than letters. 

Rask (I think he's out)

Williams

Skinner

Faulk

Staal

Slavin (he's not getting the C this soon imo; not sure about an A, might be best to not add additional pressure on top of that big contract)

Aho (if he's not being considered now I think he will be within 2 years)

I kinda think they'll split the A's between home and the road.  Assuming Williams is the captain, which one of Skinner , Faulk, and Staal are they going to de-A if they stay with 2?  They can go with home and road A's and maybe add Slavin.  That would give a forward and Dman for home and away.

But, what do I know?  Back to my normal activity.

tailgate_6.gif

Edited by super_dave_1