• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

19 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I kinda think they'll split the A's between home and the road.  Assuming Williams is the captain, which one of Skinner , Faulk, and Staal are they going to de-A if they stay with 2?  They can go with home and road A's and maybe add Slavin.  That would give a forward and Dman for have and away.

You so smart.  I vote for this.

I also think they split the As. Just too many candidates to not split them without offending a decent candidate.  Can't see taking a letter away from Staal or Faulk after they've worn them for years.  Skinner and Williams (whichever isn't C) have both earned one imo, even above Staal and Faulk (Williams over a career, Skinner over last season).  Slavin and Aho are my wild cards.   I'd wager a good amount that both will wear one for the Canes at some point, question is just timing.  The more I think about it, the more I pass on both for now.  Let them concentrate on on playing for another couple of years without the added pressure of wearing a letter.

Course, I'm not in the room so I'll trust whatever BP decides to do.

Edited by LakeLivin

I still think Skinner gets the C.  But if he shares an A, I'm guessing he gets it on the road because he'll be "targeted" more there, and will benefit from wearing a letter which gives him more leeway to address the officials.

I waited until near the end to finally vote.  Skinner for both.  If this team is anybody's, it's his.  A's to Williams and Staal.  Staal's could go to Faulk but with his history here i don't think it gets taken away from him.  I'm not sure i see either of them as prototypical leaders but i'm not sure who else on this team is one either.  Slavin will be but i don't think they give it to someone only starting his third season in the NHL.  Aho eventually too maybe, but not yet.  If they split the A's again then Faulk and Rask once again - but that just gives us 3 'somebody has to have it' A's instead of 1.  Williams being the "true" A, of course.  Take your pick which of the 2 would be the homers and which the away.  I seem to remember Rask and Skinner switching last year anyway, so nothing's permanent.

I think it's a tough one. 

In my head logic seems to support Williams, but the only name that I've heard floated by Canes brass is Skinner. It's possible it was just musings, but I wonder why they'd float a name then pull it back. There is a tendency to go with your best player. Skinner was probably that last year anyways. He doesn't strike me as the central casting hockey captain, but I'm not in the room. This is a team that has a laid back sort of vibe and at their best they seem to play loose. (Not as in loose coverage, but just not uptight), and Skinner could probably provide leadership without harshing that. 

Could get a full on surprise like Jordan or Slavin.

It seems like the last few weeks the captain chatter has been mostly about Skinner, so I guess I'd go with him, but I am very interested to hear this one and feel far from certain about it.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I wonder why they'd float a name then pull it back

exactly. Unless they think a scandal is a good way to start the year. Oh wait... JR's in Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, Manwolf said:

SWAG.  Have no idea.

Good of a reason as any.

Slavin may be an eventual captain, but I'd rather see him grow into the role.

The press conference won't load for me on either Safari or Firefox. So can someone explain the point of splitting a leadership role based on where the team is playing?

Wow, that's going to be the first RF decision I vehemently disagree with. 

That sounds like a great way to divide a locker room.