• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

Wow. Been at work. I feel pretty confident no one saw this coming. When I was thinking about the situation and of the "A"'s handed out last year I actually briefly thought about asking if any team had even had co-captains, but then I thought, that doesn't really make sense.

I'm all for creative decisions, but this really feels like a mistake to me. Not who they named. I've always thought we fans are uniquely unqualified to decide who should be Captain, but the idea of having 2 Captains. Seems contra-intuitive. Has this been done before? I guess this team got by with 4 A's so in a way 2 C's and an A is less people, but just weird.

What about future years? Do these guys just keep being co- captains forever?

Then there was all the open talk of Skinner. Yeah, sorry about that Jeff.

I wonder if Staal just didn't want all of the duties, or if the team still had a thing about another Staal.:letssee:.

If the team wins I don't really care, but it just seems like splitting the baby.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

My wife's 2 cents: This team's management is so predictable and boring!

This.  Amazing how they can be predictable by doing what obviously none of us thought they would do, but in doing so it was probably the most-predictable thing they could do.

Edited by realmdrakkar

Obviously, they were trying to pick one, either Staal or Faulk, as final candidates. I don't think co-captaincy was the initial idea. Do you think they just failed to decide which one and presented this as their final decision? Which for us now seem as unwillingness to decide. Rotating As last year had an impact on this, presumably.

Edited by RyazanCaniac

3 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

So much for what I know. 

One of us could possibly use this as ammo in our 'fun for the crowd vs getting off to a good October' debate, but damned if i know which one of us this solution helps...  :lol:

38 minutes ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Mine just put Hacksaw Ridge on pause and shouted: this team will regret it when Jeoffrey is leaving or his morals suddenly go down!

Hey Ryazan, I know English is your second language, although you're doing well enough with it on these boards recently that it's hard to tell anymore. :thumbsup2:   Which is the only reason I'll point out that I think you meant "morale suddenly goes down" instead of "morals suddenly go down".  

Moral or Morale?

Morale, accent on second syllable, is a noun meaning "a person's mental or emotional state."

Moral, accent on first syllable, is either a noun meaning "the lesson from a story" or an adjective meaning "virtuous, behaving according to high standards."

Examples:

Team morale rose after the shutout.

The moral of the story is "Never tell a lie."

His moral compass required him to return the extra $10 in change the cashier had given him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I think you meant "morale suddenly goes down" instead of "morals suddenly go down".

Yes, of course, I meant morale. It was actually just a misprint.:P I've checked it in a dictionary before putting that. Just like I always do when I'm not sure about smth. But I'm writing it with my cell phone, so I'd better check the spelling of what I'm typing twice.:rolleyes: Thanks nonetheless.

13 minutes ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Yes, of course, I meant morale. It was actually just a misprint.:P I've checked it in a dictionary before putting that. Just like I always do when I'm not sure about smth. But I'm writing it with my cell phone, so I'd better check the spelling of what I'm typing twice.:rolleyes: Thanks nonetheless.

Sorry, I probably should have considered that it might be a typo because, like I said, these days it's often hard to tell that English isn't your first language.  Or, the possibility that you actually meant "moral" since I guess it is possible that Skinner's response might be to start hitting on 17 year old girls during intermissions. :P

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Heard Boomer on XM just now and he calls this decision dumb too.  They brought up an interesting conundrum.  If the Canes win the cup, who is the captain?  Does one captain fall on the sword on purpose to lose a game so the other gets to raise the cup?  It was said kind of as a joke, but in reality, it is a good example of why this decision is not optimal.

They were also confused and thought we had 5 guys named and didn't realize we have only 1 real 'A'.

Also, they brought up some recent examples of this (sorry, can't remember who, but this is not the first time).  The examples didn't end well.

Edited by wxray1

Lame. Who speaks for the team? What if one has a crappy season? Still on the same footing as the other Captain?  Lame hand wringing decision. I think it will be Williams who sets the tone for level of play expectations. Don't think their aren't a few of the boys snickering with one another over this. Whatever. Just win.

When you think about it, multiple Captains are pretty much the standard in many other sports (I think the NFL allows 6 per team?).  On the one hand, those leagues don't limit it to one Captain at a time during a game like the NHL does.  But on the other, I wonder how much of a difference that makes, i.e., what a Captain vs. Assistant Captain does on the ice for 60 minutes 82 times a season vs off the ice the entire rest of the year, when by definition they're both Captains?

Based on this call I've got to believe that BP and RF were actually happy with team leadership last season and approached this decision from the perspective of primum non nocere (first, do no harm).  In essence, all three players got a promotion (Faulk and Staal to co-Captains and Skinner to full time Assistant).  I can't imagine Rask being miffed by the decision, and it wouldn't surprise me if Williams was actually in on it.

This was not what I predicted or suggested.  But those were based on superfluous observations.  Like I said before, BP knows the room and got feedback from throughout the organization, so I don't feel like I'm in a position to second guess his decision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Hey Ryazan, I know English is your second language, although you're doing well enough with it on these boards recently that it's hard to tell anymore. :thumbsup2:   Which is the only reason I'll point out that I think you meant "morale suddenly goes down" instead of "morals suddenly go down".  

Moral or Morale?

Morale, accent on second syllable, is a noun meaning "a person's mental or emotional state."

Moral, accent on first syllable, is either a noun meaning "the lesson from a story" or an adjective meaning "virtuous, behaving according to high standards."

Examples:

Team morale rose after the shutout.

The moral of the story is "Never tell a lie."

His moral compass required him to return the extra $10 in change the cashier had given him.

Seriously, couldn't you smell what he was stepping in without a grammar/spelling lesson?

Oh, and to stay on topic, something, something, we have twice the captains.

Edited by super_dave_1

34 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Seriously, couldn't you smell what he was stepping in without a grammar/spelling lesson?

Oh, and to stay on topic, something, something, we have twice the captains.

Over the last couple of years Ryazan's English has noticeably improved, to the extent that it's clear (at least to me) that it's something he actively works on.  If I was in his position and I'd (perhaps) confused 2 similar words in a second language, I'd want to learn the distinction.  My post was meant as a courtesy (which is how I think Ryazan took it), not as a criticism. But if a similar situation arises in the future, I'll either ignore it or send a private email which would be more appropriate than posting here since it's off-topic. 

But, back to the topic; twice the Captains is one way to look at it,  Another way: compared to last year we actually have 3/4 the Captains (2 co- and 1 assistant vs. 4 assistants last year) :P

Edited by LakeLivin

I posted this in another topic  but discussion on the Captain choice(s) belong here. I searched for other similar moves and found this. The Boston scenario sounds just like our plan,

Ray Bourque and Rick Middleton were named as co-captains of the team. Middleton wore the "C" during home games and Bourque for road games during the season's first half, and the two switched for the second half.

Some teams name two (such as the Buffalo Sabres during the 2005–06 and 2006–07 NHL seasons) or three (such as the Vancouver Canucks during the 1990–91 season) captains for a season.

Some teams rotate captains rather than keep one for an extended period of time (the Minnesota Wild rotated captaincy every one or two months until the 2009–10 season, when Mikko Koivu was named the first permanent captain since the franchise's inception).

Perhaps they did this in the event ONE of them is traded at the deadline?

Possibly one mgmt faction wanted Faulk and the other wanted Staal??

1 hour ago, hopper915 said:

Perhaps they did this in the event ONE of them is traded at the deadline?

Possibly one mgmt faction wanted Faulk and the other wanted Staal??

I suppose it will work out but the more I think about it the less I like it. What were they thinking?

My first reaction was....you did WHAT?

Now that I've watched the press conference and sat with it for a little, the idea is sort of growing on me. :couch:.

Jordan clearly wanted to be Captain, and so did Justin. I was thinking maybe Jordan didn't want it, but after watching him in the press conference, he did. Both guys seemed thrilled at the whole thing.

Way back when, I had hoped Jordan would take the reigns of this and make it his. He was the guy leading on the ice. He has the playoff experience. And after Eric left, it just seemed that it might have helped him re-focus on this team. Clearly he wasn't ready though, and moving right to Staal 2.0 may not have been great timing anyways. Many have pointed out that his general demeanor with the press suggested he was too introverted. Maybe true, but then having a co-captain might him with that part by not putting all of the Captain duties on him every game.

Peter's made an interesting comment that "now these guys have a good team to lead". Maybe part of them wanted to wait until the team itself was ready to make a move up.

Peters is clearly down with this decision and is behind it.

Anyway, watching these guys at the press conference somehow settled me down on the whole thing, and we have two guys who wanted this, and both got it, and seem happy with it, and might just both elevate their play and commitment to the Canes because of it.

It's done anyways, so just start winning games!

Neither Staal or Faulk can give a decent interview..  Bottom line here is, 2 captains mean their is really not a captain...Very poor decision on RF/BP to not find a tie breaker, if they were the best choices, which I just cant believe..

11 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

We have a captain controversy

Seems like the Canes brass has created a captain controversy among the fans.  But I wonder if part of the reason they did what they did was to avoid a captain controversy within the team?  Peters did say he was going to canvas all of the players . . .

Edited by LakeLivin