• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Hurricanes next Captain?

• Justin Faulk
    • Elias Lindholm
    • Victor Rask
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Jaccob Slavin
    • Jordan Staal
    • Justin Williams
    • Other

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Seems like the Canes brass has created a captain controversy among the fans.  But I wonder if part of the reason they did what they did was to avoid a captain controversy within the team?  Peters did say he was going to canvas all of the players . . .

4d67676f2478e5cdb64b3008e06f51da.jpg

3 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

4d67676f2478e5cdb64b3008e06f51da.jpg

Yeah, that seems to happen on occasion with you. I put it down to not knowing you personally combined with the limitations of raw text. But even though you were joking, I think there may be more truth to your comment than intended, at least as far as the fans on here.  The decision seems to have created a lot more angst than I'd have anticipated.

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Seems like the Canes brass has created a captain controversy among the fans.  But I wonder if part of the reason they did what they did was to avoid a captain controversy within the team?  Peters did say he was going to canvas all of the players . . .

If it were somehow a split vote that resulted in this, that’s a cop-out.  One Captain.  Having two out there has fracturing potential, doesn’t it?  Doesn’t this just reinforce the “split vote”?  And I love former Cane Mike Commodore’s comment, “Did Williams get sent to the jungle or something?” :lol:

I feel kinda numb to the whole thing and just want to get to the lot, chill for some hours, then get inside and watch some live hockey which matters more than this decision.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red_Storm said:

If it were somehow a split vote that resulted in this, that’s a cop-out.  One Captain.  Having two out there has fracturing potential, doesn’t it?  Doesn’t this just reinforce the “split vote”?  And I love former Cane Mike Commodore’s comment, “Did Williams get sent to the jungle or something?” :lol:

I know the tradition has been for a hockey team to have just one captain.  But I wonder how much of that is due to the league rule rather than other "true leadership" considerations (whatever that means, lol)?  Consider a team like the New England Patriots.  They have 6 captains and don't seem to be any the worse for it, quite the opposite.  The San Antonio Spurs, perennially successful and long considered to be one of the most "team" oriented franchises in the NBA, lists 3 captains. 

Outside of only one being able to talk to the refs during gametime, I wonder what limitations the co-captaincy might put on Faulk and Staal vs. if it were just one of them?  And if, say, the offense is having a good game while the D is dragging, I wonder if Faulk could talk to the D (or the younger players) in a way that Staal might not be able to (and vice versa)? 

I'm not trying to "convert" you, just putting a different perspective out there.  Bottom line for me is that I'm with Coastal in that I don't think this decision will have as much of an impact as some others on here.  If the leadership is there I think it's going to manifest itself regardless of who wears what letter, and if not it won't matter who wears what letter, either.  Which brings me to Williams; the more I think about it, the more I suspect that he may have been part of the decision, and I don't think that not wearing a letter will reduce his influence on the team at all, maybe even the opposite.  

In the press conference they pressed on Williams a couple of times, including asking if he was in on the decision, but neither Peters or Francis bit on it that way, only saying he would always be a leader even without a letter. However, when it was pressed a different way, as in was Williams being so ultra new to this squad vs. Jordan and Faulk having been here, toiling and missing playoffs year after year being a factor, he indirectly said that did play into it.

I guess I would rather have a true clear C on this team than 2 Captains.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  If this team makes the playoffs then I don't care.  I get why Staal has the C (aside from the history there).  He is the clear cut player all this team that plays the best all around game.

One "side effect" of Williams not being named might be to lessen any disappointment a young player like Slavin might feel at being bypassed this go round.  The decision might not have hurt Slavin's morale anyways (or his morals ;)), but I can't see how the kid could be disappointed after seeing Williams not named, yet going about his business in a positive fashion, which is how I'm sure he will handle it. 

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah, that seems to happen on occasion with you. I put it down to not knowing you personally combined with the limitations of raw text. 

Boy, I say boy, I can explain it to ya, but I can't understand it for ya.

Been fun reading all the posts about co-captains.  First we all demonstrate how little we know by whiffing on the choice(s).  Then we all post about possible motives or why it was done.  Hmmmm.

Glad the games start for us tomorrow and we can report on what our own eyes see.

56 minutes ago, hag65 said:

What about that elephant over there?

What does it mean that Rask lost a letter?

I wonder if it was pitched that they wanted him to not have the burden of it so he can worry about powering through a complete season strong.

59 minutes ago, hag65 said:

What about that elephant over there?

What does it mean that Rask lost a letter?

I was thinking Francis was sort of talking to Rask through the media when he said some "guys" will disappointed and would like a letter and that was good, we want people who want to lead.

While the Captaincy is a lot of stuff off the ice, it is also on the ice. And Rask faltered really bad last year. Hopefully he comes back motivated to be the Rask that started last year.

Personally I wonder about Skinner. He seemed to be the talk of the town, and several writers had him inked in as the new "C". I think he'll be fine, but it might have been better if they had not talked him up for the C.

10 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I wonder if it was pitched that they wanted him to not have the burden of it so he can worry about powering through a complete season strong.

Rask is as 'even keel' as we've got, i think... i doubt he's too upset about it either way.

Not saying anything that hasn't been said but... when I heard this I was totally deflated. 

One those many times I am like who is making these baffling decisions?  

The only way to get me excited about the season now.. Win out October.  A new Goal song.   I still dread the rainbow and lollipop goal song after we score. :)

Just a little odd that you have two C's skating on the ice at the same time. Will be fodder for the rest of the league.  Next year RF/BP will pull a Florida and make Darling the Captain.

41 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Just a little odd that you have two C's skating on the ice at the same time. 

They won't be. J wears the C at home and the A away, Faulk vice-versa (away C, at-home A).

In the end, I just want captains who do their jobs, i.e., keep the stripes honest on the ice, and their teammates accountable.