The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

Wow!  What a long and eventful off season.  This one seemed like the longest yet due to the anticipation we all have for this upcoming season.  Here is to open we have a safe and injury free pre season.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

The Hurricanes open their 2017 preseason schedule at Buffalo

GMRF said yesterday that the first 2 preseason games will be used for talent evaluation, then in the 3rd we will start to work on getting the guys who will play together season-ready.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hag65 said:

GMRF said yesterday that the first 2 preseason games will be used for talent evaluation, then in the 3rd we will start to work on getting the guys who will play together season-ready.

That makes a lot of sense. Not only in assigning players to leagues but evaluating who might be or close to NHL ready

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

Hopefully this is a significant change from the last 7 years where the team WASN'T ready to open the season.  Get the NHL team on the ice and get them ready for once and let the other guys in the system go back to their system, wherever that is.  Quit messing around already.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 3

Tonight's lineup

Skinner-Ryan-Di Giuseppe
Jooris-Necas-Saarela
McGinn-Poturalski-Miller
Tolchinsky-Wallmark-Hofmann

Hanifin-Pesce
Fleury-van Riemsdyk
Bean-Wesley

Smith
Nedeljkovic

seeing Necas in action would be cool. Although Jooris as a partner is meh.  

Edited by gocanes0506

gocanes, maybe that's by design to see how he can pull thru lesser talent. So, I'm thinking that by pregame 5 or 6, our 2017 team should be in place? anyone on here planning on attending these pregames?

A little info from Cjip

Asked Bill Peters today if Martin Necas has a chance to make the team. His answer: "He's got a chance to make the team, for sure."

Peters says Stempniak was slated to play in first exhibition but has some soreness. Saarela gets an early game.

It appears we can listen to the game.  tune in:  wralSPORTSfan.com

PREVIEW

"We've been looking forward to this all summer. We've been antsy to get back at it, and it feels good to jump right into the first game," said Derek Ryan, who will center Jeff Skinner and Phil Di Giuseppe on the team's top line tonight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Asked Bill Peters today if Martin Necas has a chance to make the team. His answer: "He's got a chance to make the team, for sure."

Peters says Stempniak was slated to play in first exhibition but has some soreness. Saarela gets an early game.

(This post, and the one below is responding to the "idea" of Necas making the team, not directly to OBXer or Hag):

This is the crusty skeptic in me, but no. I love Necas. Given where we picked in this draft he was a great pick. (A year ago we missed out on the last forward in this type of strata, but this year we got one. (This is not to dismiss Gauthier, who could end up being amazing, but he had more question marks, as evidenced by where he was picked, and we skipped him for Bean when we needed a forward)). Necas' speed (separation type speed) and skill are evident. He is going to be good and could be great.

But we are not rushing this kid, and Peters knows it. Does he have a chance? Talk about a question you can almost always answer yes to. ("So you're saying there's a chance.") Yes, if half the team is suddenly out for some reason, or if he has 20 goals in the pre-season.

Not only do we not want to rush this slender kid, but who do we move out for him? There are no spots in the forward ranks. (OK, one could make a case that if he blows doors off, there could be a #9 forward slot, but not really. McGinn, Nordstrom, Ryan, or even Kruger, will get that ahead of Necas).

But what if there's an injury? Well first, we already have a guy on the bench with McGinn, Joorish, and Nordstrom presumably fighting for two spots. Then, there's Saarela, Zykov, PDG, Wallmark, Poturalski, who are all AHL prepped and ready.

Necas may well "Aho" his way onto next year's squad, but not this year.

(Now watch him make it and me have to eat crow).

Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip

GMRF spent a decent amount of time talking about him (Necas) and how much he is further along than they expected.  I got the distinct impression he has a legit shot to make it now. 

He also implied that the 6/7 slots for DMan are really really in play.  He said Dahlback came to camp in really good shape, that Fleury is competing, McKeown made the team in training camp last season but there was no room, and Bean is in there too.  He had the opportunity to give one of the guys the advantage and had none of it, my impression is it is winnable for any for these guys.

He also pointed out that there are folks around the NHL telling him some of these guys are not going to let him keep them off the team, they are just going to keep pushing.  2 months into the season he may be making moves/swaps as well, the competition isn't over at the end of training camp, you need to deliver on the ice in games too or the guys on your heels are going to get looks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hag65 said:

For some reason I am really feeling it this preseason, and this comment just adds to that. I could see the unofficial slogan for camp being "this year we mean it". From Peters himself to a list of key players all being there right from the jump instead of playing in some meaningless tournament, to getting down to business early in these games, to quotes and talk of energy and getting right into the special teams work, etc.

Coastal pointed it out earlier and I could not agree more, get the real, actual team going earlier. The start is everything this year, and Peters clearly agrees.

I don't mean to be the contrarian on the Necas making the team thing, but they were talking about McKeown and Gauthier like they had a shot too. When I listen to coaches around the league get asked if their first round pick has a shot, they almost always say "yes". After rushing Lindholm, and probably Hanifin, and with how well giving Aho one year went, and with a very deep veteran forward group, and Necas slender physique, I still don't see it.

I will say this. If he does make it, that would be very good news about Necas. Everything in the real world points to him taking at least another year, so he would have to be so dominant that he just could not be left off. That's the only way I can see. So by definition it would be a good thing.

If there is an injury and he blows doors off in camp, and get his "NHL taste" and impresses, maybe.

But I would not bet on it.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't mean to be the contrarian, but they were talking about McKeown and Gauthier like they had a shot too. When I listen to coaches around the league get asked if their first round pick has a shot, they almost always say "yes". After rushing Lindholm, and probably Hanifin, and with how well giving Aho one year went, and with a very deep veteran forward group, and Necas slender physique, I still don't see it.

I will say this. If he does make it, that would be very good news about Necas. Everything in the real world points to him taking at least another year, so he would have to be so dominant that he just could not be left off. That's the only way I can see. So by definition it would be a good thing.

But I would not bet on it.

I agree, but I am just relaying my impressions of what was said.

I am talking about Fort Knox here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hag65 said:

He also pointed out that there are folks around the NHL telling him some of these guys are not going to let him keep them off the team, they are just going to keep pushing.  2 months into the season he may be making moves/swaps as well, the competition isn't over at the end of training camp, you need to deliver on the ice in games too or the guys on your heels are going to get looks.

Interesting to see the team morph over the next month and possibly beyond.  I wonder do we wait another season to a big prospect push or if we make some moves to push it along.  

Trade candidates:

Stemp

McGinn

Ryan

Bench Rider

Jooris

Dahlbeck

Necas having a shot at 3rd line center could put a big stressor on the roster spots.  I know the scouts thought he was a top 7 pick but I guess his IQ is farther along than expected.

there are 2 metro foes that need another center but I don't Ryan going to our division rivals.  

13 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Trade candidates:

Stemp

McGinn

Ryan

He is ripe for a trade. He is cheap, versatile and won't require a ransom to get from the other team. I think Pittsburgh is still looking for a 3rd line center at a bargain, so if Necas can win a spot, my guess is that Ryan is the first to go.

20 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Remkin, wasn't it firmly said that Necas is going to spent one more year in the Czech league?

That's still my bet. I'm buying the optimism, but not the actual making of the team.

One interesting note about Necas. He has all options (4) open to him. Since he's not locked up in the canadian junior hockey - NHL box, he can play next year in any of: NHL, AHL, Canadian Juniors, or back with the Czech league.

I've laid out why I think not for the NHL. The AHL is too rough for his physical maturity and the lifestyle for an 18 yo, could be less than ideal. Junior hockey would mix it up and let him adjust to small ice, but at his age, staying near home one more year, and playing in a men's league makes the most sense IMO. It's what Lindholm wanted to do (and should have) and it worked pretty well for Aho.

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

He also pointed out that there are folks around the NHL telling him some of these guys are not going to let him keep them off the team, they are just going to keep pushing.

I don't know why, but as he said that yesterday, PDG was my first thought. He probably meant someone completely different, but PDG really caught my eye yesterday. He was flying.