The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

Oliers Announcer: "Oilers are having trouble dealing with Carolina's speed."

This, to me, is the reason this could get really good this year.

The Oilers are a fast team too.

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think Bean needs more cooking.  He should be on the next cuts.  The roster should be decided except who plays in Stempniak's spot.  Necas, Kuokkanen, or Wallmark?

PDG.

Edited by top-shelf-1

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think Bean needs more cooking.  He should be on the next cuts.  The roster should be decided except who plays in Stempniak's spot.  Necas, Kuokkanen, or Wallmark?

9 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

PDG.

Great problem to have, they all look good.

I agree on Bean.

Edited by hag65

Watched last night, was blown away by the possession.  This is not a slow team we did this to, I watched the Oilers some last season and actually wondered if they could be dealt with when they are at their top speed by anyone.

I assume some of what happened last night was rust on the Oilers part.  Certainly a lot of what we saw was also their D having inability to deal with our system.

"Start with the puck!"  - HCBP

This had a lot to do with it, the faceoffs were generally great.

Just a great game all around, and I think literally we can't judge a thing about Darling except he may need focus therapy, I think I saw him on his phone in the 1st period he forgot he was in a game after awhile.  I don't blame him.

12 minutes ago, hag65 said:

This had a lot to do with it, the faceoffs were generally great.

The guys calling the game were in total awe of that. Faceoff wins don't always lead directly to goals, but they absolutely make it harder for the other team to score. (That whole "you gotta have the puck" thing.)

Looking forward to Wednesday game and seeing how Edmonton chooses to respond and how the Canes respond to their response.  This is a meaningful part of the exhibition season to set some tone and build off last night. Nothing like watching a pro play a game in Ducks *edit* Saskatchewan.

I am concerned about the our ability to maintain this fast style during the regular season when the refs quit calling penalties. I saw two issues last night:

there was 4-5 minute stretch in the 3rd where we seem to get tired or let off the accelerator.  We were up 6-2.  We picked up the play after that.

also, a few of our give aways happened when the Oilers were physical.  They weren't regular season physical as guys normally don't lay big hits in preseason games. Can we sustain the play with a physical team or after many games of teams that are hitting us?  Im not trying to start that debate again but it did seem like we struggled to remain consistent when bodies were thrown around.  

What a difference a year makes, huh? Sitting here thinking this morning about the awesomeness of the game last night, and obviously how things SEEM to be coming together, and couldn't help but compare to last preseason. All season long, I thought, as several others did too, that one of the key reasons for both the horrible start as well as barely missing out on the post-season, was the absence of the Head Coach IN THE BEGINNING. Although I realize that no one can say for sure, and granted there is a huge different cast of players, particularly the yutes, I'll opine,this surely feels much different than last preseason,and Bill Peters is here not coaching somewhere else.

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I am concerned about the our ability to maintain this fast style during the regular season when the refs quit calling penalties. I saw two issues last night:

there was 4-5 minute stretch in the 3rd where we seem to get tired or let off the accelerator.  We were up 6-2.  We picked up the play after that.

also, a few of our give aways happened when the Oilers were physical.  They weren't regular season physical as guys normally don't lay big hits in preseason games. Can we sustain the play with a physical team or after many games of teams that are hitting us?  Im not trying to start that debate again but it did seem like we struggled to remain consistent when bodies were thrown around.  

Good points all, gocanes, and have to say that I had a few similar as I watched. But lets analyze this. 

The "letting their foot off the accelerator" is something that they will correct, and last night, in a somewhat meaningless preseason game,I can fully understand it. It's not a good habit though, and that has to be something that the youth particularly have to understand.

The other, larger issue you raise, the combined relaxation of officiating strictness, and elevation of physicality, could be problematic, save for one thing that encouraged me the greatest last night. Our special teams play was outstanding, particularly the Power Play. Movement of the puck was in a word, awesome. Realizing, as most do on here, that the Canes last year were one of the teams that DREW the most penalties, and if the PP prowess can continue anywhere close to last night, I have to believe that if we make teams "pay" for their "indiscretions", they'll be less likely to stray away from prescribed play. Besides, it appears that part of the secret of slighter players in the game, for longevity, is learning to be wary and avoid the "big hits". Aho seems to do this, and if Necas continues for a few games,I hope he does this too.

We're talking about Necas' age and size, but the Oil's Kailer Yamamoto is an even more interesting case.  The kid can fly and he leads the NHL in pre-season goals with 5 (in 4 games).  But he turns 19 later this week and is listed at 5'8" and 153 lbs; he looked like a high school kid when they interviewed him after the game last night.  And it's either the NHL or Juniors for him, no "intermediate" option like the AHL or a European team. 

• Like 1