The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

And it's either the NHL or Juniors for him, no "intermediate" option like the AHL or a European team. 

This is why the broadcast team was saying he's making it hard for the org. I don't think so. When you've just committed to paying McJesus and Draisaitl what you've just committed to paying them, you'd better be scouting deck hockey leagues for affordable wingers. I think Yamamoto makes the team out of camp.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

We're talking about Necas' age and size, but the Oil's Kailer Yamamoto is an even more interesting case.  The kid can fly and he leads the NHL in pre-season goals with 5 (in 4 games).  But he turns 19 later this week and is listed at 5'8" and 153 lbs; he looked like a high school kid when they interviewed him after the game last night.  And it's either the NHL or Juniors for him, no "intermediate" option like the AHL or a European team. 

I think Yamamoto will in interesting test case for the size debate. He is clearly outplaying Poolparty on the Oil, and if only one were staying, it should be him. But he’s small compared to Jesse, and coaches and GMs don’t seem able to be able to ignore that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This is why the broadcast team was saying he's making it hard for the org. I don't think so. When you've just committed to paying McJesus and Draisaitl what you've just committed to paying them, you'd better be scouting deck hockey leagues for affordable wingers. I think Yamamoto makes the team out of camp.

That's one consideration.  But this kid is more than an expendable plug in winger.  I've got to believe the Oil are also considering how best to manage what is likely a valuable long term asset, taking into account the same type development issues we're discussing re Necas (or Lindholm before that).

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

That's one consideration.  But this kid is more than an expendable plug in winger.  I've got to believe the Oil are also considering how best to manage what is likely a valuable long term asset, taking into account the same type development issues we're discussing re Necas (or Lindholm before that).

Oh, I wasn't suggesting he's not good. He impressed the heck out of me last night. My point was that guys on ELCs make affording those other guys possible. So if PuljarvI'mNotEvenGonnaTryToSpellIt is looking like a top-line bust, Yams represents a pretty decent shot at a do-over.

TT has just looked great all preseason,keep shooting!! Staal looks like he soaked the hands in oil during the offseason and crashing the front of the net.....I want more of this.

Face-offs:

Hurricanes 44%

Oilers 56%

Hurricanes win 6-2.

The announcers finally realized that after two periods and started talking about the Canes' speed.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Face-offs:

Hurricanes 44%

Oilers 56%

Hurricanes win 6-2.

Odd that it ended like that.  The announcers said they felt like it 75% us when they pointed out it was 50-50.  I did agree with them as I felt it wasn't that close.  Maybe odd scoring on win & loses?

Look, I hope we win every face off. That would be a massive advantage. But in general you have to win a huge amount of extra ones to get a win. I say fine, let's win that many more. It has been statistically shown that the best face-off team in the league will win about 3 extra games than the worst faceoff teams based on face-offs alone. Good, let's win those games. Keep winning face-offs, I'm all for it. Then again, we were #4 in the league last year, so that will be tough to improve on.

Rem I think your just missing the point. 

The only reason I brought it up [in game] was because the announcers were making comments about how our possession was largely the result of faceoff wins, and how Peters always makes a point of having two guys on a line that are good at in the dot, which he does, and he openly talks about it.  Ironically, Forslund said the same thing last night.on the Aftermath when he was discussing Peters' doctrine to Start With the Puck.

I'm not trying to drum up a faceoff debate, as I'm well aware you don't think they matter much.  People with the microphones thought they did last night, and I was just commenting on this game.  Particularly after I've heard Start With The Puck like 10 times this preseason.

Lastly, I do have somewhat of a fetish for faceoffs. It's a game within a game [to me], and one of the reasons I choose to sit where I do in the arena. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

5 on 5 we were only 35% in face off wins. Rask was only 4 of 15 for 27%. Perhaps when Necas and Wallmark depart our overall BMI will increase and increase our face off %. :P

50 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Rem I think your just missing the point. 

The only reason I brought it up [in game] was because the announcers were making comments about how our possession was largely the result of faceoff wins, and how Peters always makes a point of having two guys on a line that are good at in the dot, which he does, and he openly talks about it.  Ironically, Forslund said the same thing last night.on the Aftermath when he was discussing Peters' doctrine to Start With the Puck.

I'm not trying to drum up a faceoff debate, as I'm well aware you don't think they matter much.  People with the microphones thought they did last night, and I was just commenting on this game.  Particularly after I've heard Start With The Puck like 10 times this preseason.

Lastly, I do have somewhat of a fetish for faceoffs. It's a game within a game [to me], and one of the reasons I choose to sit where I do in the arena. 

How do faceoffs not matter?  It's statistically proven that teams that win face offs have more scoring chances as well as less scoring chances against them in their own zone.  It's not rocket science.  There was a reason we made the playoffs more in the earlier years.  It's because RF and Brindy were killing it in the circle.  

Edited by bluedevil58

13 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

And what pray tell does Duchene have to do with Canes preseason games?

My 2nd sentence was pretty telling how I related it to the topic at hand. Would you like me to elaborate further?

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

My 2nd sentence was pretty telling how I related it to the topic at hand. Would you like me to elaborate further?

Yes, I would.  What does Matt Duchene's faceoff abilities last season have to do with Canes preseason games?  The original post indicated this was the place to discuss the actual games, like pseudo GDT's.  Am I wrong?

It sounds a lot like you are trying to force the current discussion to something totally off topic.

I was focusing on last nights game btw.

For example, and I haven't looked at the box score, but I would bet dollars both teams were at 60% or above on the PP.  I think the announcers didn't realize that when they looked at the general numbers for the game and were surprised.  Somebody else can check the box score for accuracy.

Edited by coastal_caniac

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Lastly, I do have somewhat of a fetish for faceoffs.

Not me.  I'm a skate guy.  Unlaced are the best!  :)

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

So what's the correlation between BMI and FO%?

Enquiring minds want to know

1/((FOx100)/BMI) = BM per day

Edit: I'm reading this.  What is wrong with me?  I am not drunk.  But I need some hockey.  Please.  Now.  Soon!  My posts are in danger of going into a complete high school-like rat hole.

Edited by wxray1