The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

Unless you live in Ohio, in Ohio you get a cool black screen. Not sure if Canesvision thinks their little production can't handle the nation logging in or what but it sucks. 

Tonight's game had me thinking.

i wonder if the Canes could pull something like tonight off in the near future?  The team is getting much better, its time to grow the brand.

A 7 game preseason.  2 games in Raleigh, 1 in Greensboro (for old times sake), and 1 in Columbia.  Use the Columbia game to garner interest from a new set of eyeballs and push the Checkers.  If ticket sales seem low for Columbia you can always give Fort Jackson a bunch of tickets and give a Soldier a shot at seeing an NHL game.

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Unless you live in Ohio, in Ohio you get a cool black screen. Not sure if Canesvision thinks their little production can't handle the nation logging in or what but it sucks. 

I had to use IE last night. The feed didn't work for me on Firefox or Chrome but was fine on Internet Explorer.

Preseason Gameday: Oilers vs. Hurricanes By Michael Smith

"We've got a younger lineup than we've had in the last couple," head coach Bill Peters said. "It's a good opportunity for these guys to make an impression."

Skinner-Ryan-Necas
Aho-Rask-Lindholm
McGinn-Kruger-Jooris
Di Giuseppe-Roy-Zykov

Fleury-van Riemsdyk
Bean-Dahlbeck
Carrick-Chelios

Ward
Darling

For Edmonton, meanwhile:

Forward Lines

Maroon - McDavid - Yamamoto

Lucic - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Caggiula - Strome - Kassian

Malone - Kelly - Pakarinen 

Defence:

Auvitu - Larsson

Russell - Benning

Nurse - Gryba

Goal:

Brossoit

Talbot

If we can hang in this one, McClellan might be hanged in Edmonton.

25 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Skinner-Ryan-Necas
Aho-Rask-Lindholm
McGinn-Kruger-Jooris
Di Giuseppe-Roy-Zykov

Fleury-van Riemsdyk
Bean-Dahlbeck
Carrick-Chelios

Ward
Darling

Finally! I've wanted to see this line all pre-season.

27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Skinner-Ryan-Necas
Aho-Rask-Lindholm
McGinn-Kruger-Jooris
Di Giuseppe-Roy-Zykov

Fleury-van Riemsdyk
Bean-Dahlbeck
Carrick-Chelios

Ward
Darling

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For Edmonton, meanwhile:

Forward Lines

Maroon - McDavid - Yamamoto

Lucic - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Caggiula - Strome - Kassian

Malone - Kelly - Pakarinen 

Defence:

Auvitu - Larsson

Russell - Benning

Nurse - Gryba

Goal:

Brossoit

Talbot

If we can hang in this one, McClellan might be hanged in Edmonton.

Related image

22 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Rem I think your just missing the point. 

The only reason I brought it up [in game] was because the announcers were making comments about how our possession was largely the result of faceoff wins, and how Peters always makes a point of having two guys on a line that are good at in the dot, which he does, and he openly talks about it.  Ironically, Forslund said the same thing last night.on the Aftermath when he was discussing Peters' doctrine to Start With the Puck.

I'm not trying to drum up a faceoff debate, as I'm well aware you don't think they matter much.  People with the microphones thought they did last night, and I was just commenting on this game.  Particularly after I've heard Start With The Puck like 10 times this preseason.

Lastly, I do have somewhat of a fetish for faceoffs. It's a game within a game [to me], and one of the reasons I choose to sit where I do in the arena.

Fair enough. I didn't really want to go back to that debate either, which is why I didn't respond at first.

The thing in this game for me was that as a skeptic of the relative importance of a small face-off advantage, I too was listening to the announcers go on and on about the importance of face-offs but from the other side of the fence. Then after two periods of non-stop talk about how we were killing them on face-offs and that was a big part of why they were losing, they put up the stats and face-offs were almost exactly even. Then, as we killed them even more mercilessly, they opened  up a lead in face-offs wins.

I do agree that Peters talks about the importance of face-offs a lot, and lord knows Peters has more hockey knowledge in his left fingernail than I will ever have. I think a coach wants to gain every advantage possible though. Just as he wants to win board battles and not turn pucks over, all of the possession advantages throughout a game add up, and that includes face-offs. But he really does talk them up, so it's fair to say he thinks they're important.

For me personally, I am impressed with how we gain possession in multiple ways (including our face-off advantage) and quickly transition the puck to the O Zone.  Just my opinion, but I do think that there are games where one team has a dramatic advantage in face-offs, and to me it becomes an issue then.

I do respect your feeling about the game within the game. It is a frozen moment when all eyes are on that battle both in the dot and around the circle. It is the most focused and dramatic of the possession battles.

I guess we can both agree that the more face-offs we win the better.

21 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

How do faceoffs not matter?  It's statistically proven that teams that win face offs have more scoring chances as well as less scoring chances against them in their own zone.  It's not rocket science.  There was a reason we made the playoffs more in the earlier years.  It's because RF and Brindy were killing it in the circle.  

I really don't want to get drawn back into the face-off debate. But just to clarify it's not that they don't matter, it's a question of how much they matter. There are pages of debate on this back there somewhere if one cares to look and lots of opinions about it on the internet one way or the other.

Skinner-Ryan-Necas
Aho-Rask-Lindholm
McGinn-Kruger-Jooris
Di Giuseppe-Roy-Zykov

Fleury-van Riemsdyk
Bean-Dahlbeck
Carrick-Chelios

Ward

So much for icing the real team the last two games.

However, Skinner-Ryan-Necas does also intrigue me because it really suggests that Necas staying at least temporarily is at least being given serious consideration as they want to see how he looks on the wing, where, coincidentally, we are down a man. I just wonder if someone else was being groomed for that spot, why wouldn't they be slotted there? Further, three guys who might be fighting for #9 man (assuming Stemp is out and Ryan is a given) are playing. McGinn really seems to be getting the hard look for the 4th line again, and PDG and Zykov playing with Roy. This would seem to favor Necas.

Aho - Rask - Lindholm is interesting because that could be a thing. I expect that line to rock.

And yes, that is about as much of a "giving the main D men the night off" defense as we could roll out there. Cam playing in front of a home area crowd will need to be good. I guess Fleury is from around there too, and he may also have his hands full while trying to make the team.

They're calling Saskatoon a neutral site. I do admit I had to Google map it to find out where it is.

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

I had to use IE last night. The feed didn't work for me on Firefox or Chrome but was fine on Internet Explorer.

I wish it was the browser, I'm getting stiff armed by location unfortunately. When the feed does try to load it informs me it's not in my area.

I will just chime in a bit. The EDM announcers seemed to focus most on their side's f/o losses when they happened in their own end. It'd be nice if the NHL refined the in-game stats to show O-zone and D-zone f/o wins.

As far as the broader debate, a couple of points: first, the debate would benefit, IMO, if we defined "important." I think the reason this debate seems intractable is because Rem looks at goals scored and games won relative to the f/o stat. But face-off stats only convey initial control the puck. The way the Canes forechecked Monday, they could have lost every face-off and gotten the same result, but that kind of dominance is the exception. On "typical"nights, the importance of face-offs increases, because it dictates, as BP relentlessly drills into guys, who starts with the puck.

That leads to my second point: A team with great face-off stats but crummy possession numbers isn't going to benefit from wins at the dot, but a team with good possession stats will.  

Finally, face-off importance increases contingent on location and whether you're on special teams. Winning a d-zone face-off on the PK means the puck is about head 200 feet in the other direction. By any measure, that's "important." Losing that draw means an increased risk of getting scored on in the immediate future, which is also "important." From the St. Lawrence U study, which I believe Rem has cited in the past:

Faceoff wins in the offensive and defensive zone as well as those won on special [teams] yield a goal differential more quickly.

In other words, the mere fact that neutral zone face-offs are included in analyses of face-off importance tends to negate the importance of those in either end of the rink and during penalty time.

9 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I wish it was the browser, I'm getting stiff armed by location unfortunately. When the feed does try to load it informs me it's not in my area.

Got it. That stinks

Using Firefox I had to reload the page several times before it worked.  Rem, is it possible that it wasn't switching browsers that did it, rather it just happened to work the time you tried Chrome? 

Oh man.  They having some issues with this stream...  It's on audio is shot.  Run in chrome, click the exclamation mark top left of screen enable flash.

Edited by bluedevil58