The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

7 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

In the end he hasn't been consistent or even productive enough to warrant a year loss of his ELC.  

But I will bet he gets 10 games

10 minutes ago, OBXer said:

But I will bet he gets 10 games

He could.  In my head as a coach and organization head I look at the benefit of the games to the player and the injured player he is replacing.

is there a good chance the injured player needs more than 2-3 weeks into the season?  If yes then I don't play Necas.  I go with Wallmark or Kuokkanen. Both can play over 10 with no "penalty" if the injury recovery stretches that long. 

If the injury will not, then give necas a few games to increase his knowledge.  

It doesn't make sense to me to go through a few games of transitioning to league play just to turn around and do it again with another player 9 games later.  If the injury recovery lasts that long.

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

If the injury will not, then give necas a few games to increase his knowledge.

I don't even see it in that case.

The team needs a strong start and given its history in October, I'd eliminate every potential for distracting it from that mission. I also see putting Necas on the roster as sending a bad message to guys you mention, particularly Wallmark. We tell them to develop their games, learn our system--and then we choose, instead of them, a kid who has done neither?

Nope, sorry. Checkers or Czech, Martin, your choice. Elevating Wallmark in this situation (if necessary), who faced that same choice last year and chose CLT, would reinforce for all our European prospects (Necas included) that choosing to develop as a professional within the org speeds your progress to the NHL. 

• Like 2

For the fans mental well being and more importantly for the teams mojo, a win tonight will be pretty big to give us a 5-2 legit pre-season record.  Not sure of course who the Caps are putting on the ice but it seems like a bit of an unwritten coaching rule in pre-season that if one team is skating youngsters the other team isn't putting their big boy team on the ice either. In any event we lost a little miserably to the Oilers in the second game. With a win the guys can feed  off 'the positive waves' and get in a good week of practice before we put a slapdown on some guy named Eric and his boys next Saturday.  Be nice to have Lindholm score one so he doesn't start the season gripping the stick too hard.  Skinner will likely be fine even though he's been a bit quiet.

Edited by raleighcaniac

Tonight

23 minutes ago

lines for tonight's dress rehearsal

. Aho-Staal-Lindholm

Kuokkanen-Rask-Williams

Skinner-Ryan-Necas

Nordstrom-Kruger-McGinn

defensive pairs:

Slavin-Faulk

Hanifin-Pesce

Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Teuvo Teravainen was held out of the third period in Edmonton. Won't play again tonight. Have to think just being cautious.

We can expect Darling in goal

1. is this game to be found streaming or on the tube tonight?

2. I like that we will have a small stable of decent healthy scratches so as to reduce any whiff of complacency in those playing.

5 minutes ago

Peters says Canes being cautious with Teravainen and will hold him out tonight. Stempniak injury status remains undetermined.

I would rarther have TT sit out tonight and be ready for opening night that risk a chance of further injury. Stemper injury is concerning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

1. is this game to be found streaming or on the tube tonight?

It's on the NHL Network. I'm guessing that supersedes any attempt by the team to stream it. But I'm hoping I'm wrong, cuz I don't pay for that shiznit. 

Honestly at this point i think it best just to prepare for a season without Stempniak and consider it a bonus if/when he's able to suit up.  Things have been too quiet for it just to be a 'nagging injury'.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

To be honest I have never been a huge PDG fan. 

Remember when RF was singing his praises last year, about all the sick moves he has in CLT and it's just a matter of translating them to the NHL?

When Ron Freakin' Francis says that stuff on the record and you then hold out instead of just signing, you've either got a phenomenally stupid agent or you're not too bright yourself. I with many agree that PDG and McGinn are pretty much interchangeable skills wise but I like McGinn's edge, because edge is often what enables average guys to compete at this level.

41 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's on the NHL Network. I'm guessing that supersedes any attempt by the team to stream it. But I'm hoping I'm wrong, cuz I don't pay for that shiznit. 

I think they occasionally offer some pre and early regular season games as a freebie to get some subscription interest - have seen that in past years, maybe/maybe not this year.  Thx.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

I think they occasionally offer some pre and early regular season games as a freebie to get some subscription interest - have seen that in past years, maybe/maybe not this year.  Thx.

Looks like it's streaming here at the site. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I have been unimpressed with both Lindy and Skinner.  I know it's pre season.  But it's time for Lindy to step up and be a top 6.

Yeah, they've sucked. Two games each, and Skinner with two helpers and Lindy with three. Turrble.

24 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, they've sucked. Two games each, and Skinner with two helpers and Lindy with three. Turrble.

I haven't really noticed them though is what I am saying.  They have not been difference makers like Jordan, TT, and Williams have.  I hope it's just because it's pre season

Preseason Gameday: Capitals vs. Hurricanes by Michael Smith

"I expect a good finish to the preseason here tonight," head coach Bill Peters said. "We don't play for a long time, so this game tonight is going to be the taste you're left with going into the Minnesota game."

Peters  AUDIO

Watch: Hurricanes.com

38 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I haven't really noticed them though is what I am saying.  They have not been difference makers like Jordan, TT, and Williams have.  I hope it's just because it's pre season

All three of those guys have three games in, just FYI. But I get your point.