The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

Tip of the hat to RF for signing talent that has more than a few Vets looking over their shoulder. Vets play better IMO when they know a bad game or two will get them replaced.  And last nights game was just half the team. Those guys skating tonight in TB will be skating hard to show BP that 'they're the one's.' 

Anyone catch anything on Hanifin?  He seemed to have a solid night last night.  It seems his play rises as he is he challenged more and has more confidence in his partner.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

FWIW, Chuck interviewed RF in the 1st intermission and RF guessed that - "if Necas doesn't make the big club" - he'll opt to play in the Czech Republic. 

Speaking purely for myself, I don't care how ready he looks. He's 18 years old. With the depth we now have and given what the NHL schedule clearly did to both Lindholm and Hanifin at the same age, there's no reason to rush this kid and take the chance that the schedule (and/or the full-grown men he will play against) kick his @ss. Yeah, he's 6-1--but he's also a buck 78 in weight.

Maybe the team convinces him to play in CLT to get used to the longer sked, rougher play, and difficult travel, all of which are night-and-day compared to what he's seen up to now: a 14-team league traveling within a country so small you can fit SEVEN of them inside Texas.

If he plays in CLT he could maybe be a late-season call-up, but IMO, the potential downsides of putting him on the NHL roster out of camp make it a needless risk.

I'm with top on this one.  Another factor is burning a year of his ELC; hate to see that happen unless we're sure get a full, productive season out of the kid, and even if he starts out ok, who knows how he'll hold up a couple of months into the grind?  If the brass feels Necas is that close I see them starting him in Charlotte instead of Europe.  Pesce only had a month or so with Charlotte but I recall the Canes brass saying how valuable that AHL experience was. 

Having said that, I'm sure the Canes are considering all of those factors, so if Necas' play does convince the Canes to start him in Raleigh, it will be a sign that the kid is way ahead of his age, both play wise and maturity wise, and I'll be ok with it.    

Williams Skates Tonight!!!!

6 minutes ago

forward lines:

Teravainen-Rask-Williams

Nordstrom-Kruger-McGinn

Foegele-Kuokkanen-Gauthier

Bishop-Poturalski-Jooris

defensive pairs

: Dahlbeck-McKeown

Carrick-Kichton

Samuelsson-Chelios

It Looks like we could dress 3 goalies

Cam Ward

Jeremy Smith

Now looks like Ned and Callum Booth tonight

I think what ya'll are saying is true but I also think their baiting the hook with prime rib to see if he can elevate his game any further and see what he's all about. I really doubt he makes the team but telling him he's got a helluva chance should push him to have a great camp and pay attention to what they ask him to improve over the next year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So no announced cuts yet?

I'm going to guess they will wait until they come home tomorrow. ONLY A GUESS.

Just how young can they be with these two in the lineup :o

4 hours ago

According to reports TBL will go with a very young line-up tonight. Ex Canes Jaime McBain and Michael Leighton slated to play for the Bolts

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

We know we don't have to rush him but his play is saying we aren't rushing him.

Yes, and something I neglected to note is that there's an adrenaline factor to consider. Once camp is over and he's staring down the throat of twice as many games as he played last season, that's a big hill. I'd love him to stay on this side of the pond, adapt, and then give him a shot either late in this season or right to the roster next year.

38 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

One year, two-way deal at $650K. I'm speechless.

At one time he was our prospect with a bright future on our blue line.  No wonder we missed the playoffs,  We had guys like him in the top 4.

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I think what ya'll are saying is true but I also think their baiting the hook with prime rib to see if he can elevate his game any further and see what he's all about. I really doubt he makes the team but telling him he's got a helluva chance should push him to have a great camp and pay attention to what they ask him to improve over the next year.

Yeah I'm sticking with my crusty prognostication that agrees with this.

Francis dropped another half of the sentence about how much Necas surprised him that was left out of the quote on that last page. He also said something to the effect of how surprised he was about how good he is, yada yada yada....now all he needs to do is get stronger. 

Another factor is spots on the team. Given what Ryan did at the start of last year and seems to be showing so far this year, we really don't need to rush Necas. Our top 9 is set. And if that's not enough, we've never been deeper with AHL-seasoned guys ready for a shot. And further, I'd argue we need to see what they have too. When we get a top 9 injury I WANT to see Saarela up here, or Zykov, or a primed PDG, or Wallmark.

Last year Gauthier was impressing and "had a shot to make the team" and McKeown was "NHL ready". But then, not so fast.

Again, I am thrilled with Necas. If one goes back and looks at the pre draft and post draft posts, he was one of the guys I really hoped for, and I'm very high on him (he's now my #1 prospect in my rankings) but I'm still betting not this year.

If I'm wrong, I'll break out the crow emoticon and take a nice serving! And again, if I'm wrong, it will be because Necas is really that good, because IMHO all outside factors suggest he should wait at least a year.

McBain is a guy I got wrong. I was sure he'd have been out of the NHL long ago. I guess when you have a certain number of NHL games people assume you are decent. Maybe he got better?