The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

Just so I'm not misunderstood on Neces, he is a very smooth skater, and looked unstoppable during the 1st and part of 2nd periods. After that, and it might be a function of this 3 in 3 days games, but he seemed to noticeably tire. Maybe I expect too much though, but I just don't think he's up for an 82 game and hopefully more, season?

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

My one concern was that of the goals scored so far, only 1 has been in 5-on-5,the rest on PP's, a shorty or the OT goal. Hope that's just a function of the integrated lineup with several young players, so they need to get the projected team together,which I believe is the plan going forward?

Naturally the one night they stream the game was the one night i wasn't able to watch, so i can't provide much insight on things yet.  I'd wager to say, though, that with all of the penalties they are apparently calling, the kids just aren't having enough time to find their groove 5-on-5.  I'll take it as a positive, then, that perhaps i can start paying more attention during Hurricane power plays instead of burying my nose in a book or something with the confidence that nothing will happen during their 2-minute advantages,

It was clear that 3 goals on 17 shots was not good, and at least 2 of these were saveable.  Not to mention a number of fat rebounds that were not capitalized on right into the slot.

You could chalk it up to first game woes, which is fair.  But slow starts and Cam are old friends.  I am concerned that with a lesser role he will be slow starting all season.

8 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just so I'm not misunderstood on Neces, he is a very smooth skater, and looked unstoppable during the 1st and part of 2nd periods. After that, and it might be a function of this 3 in 3 days games, but he seemed to noticeably tire. Maybe I expect too much though, but I just don't think he's up for an 82 game and hopefully more, season?

Arguably he was better than Jordan though, even with a subpar 3rd (I agree on the 3rd period).  Fair concern though.

things I have taken away:

Fleury will make the team

Carrick should be the number 1 call up on D. He'd probably be on the roster if TVR wasn't here.

Wallmark will be the number 1 call up on O. Followed by Saalera, Zykov, Kuokkanen, and Smallman.

i would like to see Necas get a couple of games with Skinner & Ryan to start the season.  He could experience the travel burden, practices, and games against a full NHL roster.  He would use the experience to show him things he needs to fine tune in order to make the roster next year.  

Our young goalies have shown me that Ward is about 95% not coming back next year. The other 5 percent chance comes from his and darling's play this year.

Questions remain:

does Wallmark out do McGinn or Jooris for a slot?

Do we go Slavin-Faulk and Hanifin-Pesce or do we put the old pairs together?

who is the Checker's goalie Ned or Booth? Im guessing Ned at this point.

After that great play in the slot last night, I started wondering about Andrew Miller and how he wound up here. Interesting story, it appears.

He played two years of junior hockey for Chicago in the USHL, and the second year, 2008-09, was the same year BP landed in Rockford. Miller scored 82 points in 58 games that year, 50 of them assists, and was the league's Player of the Year. Then he left Juniors for - wait for it - YALE. Point-a-game guy (or better) all four years, and then this (from Wikipedia):

In his senior collegiate season in 2012–13, Miller was instrumental in helping Yale to the National Championship, scoring the overtime winning goal in the semi-final against UMass Lowell to send Yale to its first ever National Championship game. Miller scored the third goal and assisted on an empty net goal with 6:38 left in the Championship game, to go up 4–0 on Quinnipiac.

Miller was Captain of the Yale team.

Boy and girls, we might be looking at Derek Ryan, version 2.0. The best part? He arrived in CLT two springs ago--in exchange for one Zach Boychuk.

Edited by top-shelf-1

23 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Me too, but don't forget, we also signed Ouellette.

It would be my guess we would have a Smith-young guy pair in charlotte and Oullette-young guy pair in Florida.  Give the young guys a mentor and the team someone who may be more consistent/ able to handle playoff pressure 

35 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

It would be my guess we would have a Smith-young guy pair in charlotte and Oullette-young guy pair in Florida.  Give the young guys a mentor and the team someone who may be more consistent/ able to handle playoff pressure 

Good point. I'm just hoping there's real competition at those levels regardless; Ned has certainly seen some things already given his breakout in the worlds and cup of coffee in Columbus last year.

I think Ryan is the most immediate positive. 

Just today I heard again on XM that Carolina is the most logical place for Duchene to land.

But assuming that doesn't happen, we will need strong showings by Rask and someone else. Right now that someone else really looks to be Ryan. If Ryan gets back to his play from the start of last year, not only is he an adequate third line center, but possibly a well above average one. So far, he's looking more and more like that.

Also, if Ryan continues this well, our top 9 is just that much more impressive at least in terms of depth.

I'd add that for the first time on the ice, I really thought Skinner looked pretty good, and Jordan was strong and made some plays. He's never the flashy guy, but not bad. And Lindholm and Aho will be good.

I know I've stuck my neck out that Necas doesn't end up sticking, but I will say that even with all of the really good prospects we've amassed, he stands above the others in a way I've not seen since Skinner. Even though I'll stay with the prediction, if someone gave me some odds, I'd still put a few bucks on him. He just looks that good. 

Also agree about Walmark. I noticed him a lot last night. I had thought he would be our 4th line center before we went and got Kruger. 

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think Ryan is the most immediate positive. 

Just today I heard again on XM that Carolina is the most logical place for Duchene to land.

Logical, yes, but Sakic threw out logic months ago.

holding out big Z over 250k knowing it would take a while for him to get a visa to play here (he is russian).  Let it go so long that he misses a week worth of camp.  Logic at its pinnacle (where is that sarcasm font).

duchene rumors have really calmed down. Based on the team's prospect depth we can afford a move. I don't know that we necessarily have a need.

TVR = huge improvement, probably a steal for us.

Kruger = huge improvement over McClement. Won a bunch of faceoffs

Willy=Willy

Hanifin and Fleury look like big steps up from their former self and Dahlbeck, respectively.

just need to see how Darling looks to know how good the team really can be.  The team has looked very strong with a respectable goalie in the net.

we'll probably go a couple of months before we kick the tires on a move.

I guess I'm thinking if Francis was still kicking the Duchene tires, Ryan looking good likely lowers what interest there was. If Rask comes out strong there is just not as nuch intensity of need. I'd still do Fleury for Duchene maybe even throw in a sweetener, but that's me, and I'm guessing that deal has not been there anyways. 

I did think that overall Hanifin looked good too. So I'm still a big no on that deal, especially with Ryan looking good. 

I would think we go back to Slavin/Pesce, Faulk/Hanifin. Then TVR./Fleury and Dahlbeck splitting some time. Pretty good looking young D there.

Slavin did look a bit awkward on his off side. A lot of backhand passes.

53 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I don't know that we necessarily have a need.

TVR = huge improvement, probably a steal for us.

Kruger = huge improvement over McClement. Won a bunch of faceoffs

Willy=Willy

Hanifin and Fleury look like big steps up from their former self and Dahlbeck, respectively.

just need to see how Darling looks to know how good the team really can be.  The team has looked very strong with a respectable goalie in the net.

Agree, plus I think Rask has something to prove and that RF wants to give him the chance to do so.

Re the bolded stuff, I just don't understand how Cam could lose focus so profoundly after one period. He is absolutely without peer as a human being, but the numbers he put up last night--just, wow. He'd better clean up his act in the crease quick, or Ouellette may become Ned's mentor in CLT, b/c Smith will be backing up Darling, and Cam will be bought out.

54 minutes ago, remkin said:

Slavin did look a bit awkward on his off side. A lot of backhand passes.

Yeah, and Pesce committed a pretty awful giveaway below the goal line that led to a chance. No harm, but let's get them back where they belong. Together.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I guess I'm thinking if Francis was still kicking the Duchene tires, Ryan looking good likely lowers what interest there was. If Rask comes out strong there is just not as nuch intensity of need. I'd still do Fleury for Duchene maybe even throw in a sweetener, but that's me, and I'm guessing that deal has not been there anyways. 

I think the biggest question with RF is the 2 year deal on MD. He doesn't want to give up talent and walk away with nothing in two years.

29 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I think the biggest question with RF is the 2 year deal on MD. He doesn't want to give up talent and walk away with nothing in two years.

Definitely. That's what he said at the prospects game. I guess that would apply to Fleury too, and Bean. But then, we know Francis made some offer, and I'm having trouble thinking of what it might have been where that only 2 years vs. entry contract issue doesn't come up. So then, it might be that is an issue, but not the entire thing. The actual players factor in too. Hanifin is too good plus that issue. 

While I don't know for a fact that Fleury was offered, looking at him now and considering the implications of what you point out, if I were Sakic, i think I'd make that deal. 

As Hanifin, Fleury, and Bean start to prove themselves we'll see their value rise significantly and our ability to play all three lessen.  We'll see a deal with one of our young defenders but it'll be later this year or next offseason.  I'd bet we get a dynamic forward or a high ceiling forward that is NHL ready out of the deal.  

Example: columbus and nashville or a reverse MTL-TBL deal.

In the "how great is Necas?" file came across this quote on Canes Country. I may have missed it, but I hadn't seen it before:

General manager Ron Francis told Forslund after the Caniac Carnival last weekend that Necas was the fourth-highest player on Carolina’s draft board and other teams had him just as high, if not higher.

I was thrilled we got him and thought we got a steal, but never saw him ranked quite that high. 

4th highest player huh?so Patrick, Hirschier, Heiskanen then Necas?

it could be Maker instead of Heis but still. That is pretty good scouting. Well good thing the other 8 teams didn't have him that high.

I thought the most interesting point of that article was referencing all the distain because of the lack of a trade. I guess as Necas wasn't being picked, it really revved up the value of the pick to GMRF.  Of course I hope I was misguided with my anger due to drafting instead of trading. 

Im in the boat of playing Necas in the Ahl or letting him play 6 to 9 NHL games and sending him back to his old team.  The question becomes do we have room for him on the Checkers?  A top line of Kuokkanen-Necas-Gauthier sounds kind of scary to me.