The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Preseason Games 2017

Robert Kron being from the Czech Republic had probably followed Necas since he was a kid.  We are getting some good returns from our scouts across the pond.

Necas along the boards is probably going to be his one-way ticket back to the Czech pro league, but everybody seems to agree that's the likely thing anyway.

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Robert Kron being from the Czech Republic had probably followed Necas since he was a kid.  We are getting some good returns from our scouts across the pond.

Necas along the boards is probably going to be his one-way ticket back to the Czech pro league, but everybody seems to agree that's the likely thing anyway.

Which is fine.  Let him be like Rask.  That guy was developed nicely and the right way I might add.

Edited by bluedevil58

I agree he probably goes back home. That said....

The AHL would be an interesting option. Most 18 y/o's can't go there, don't get sent there or finally just don't want to go. The thing I'd wonder about though, is that it would seem that if he went to the AHL and blew the doors off, he could be brought up at some point later in the year, especially if there were an injury. Can anyone think of examples of guys who did that? Just wondering how real of a chance there would be of that. 

My thought is that his need to add some meat to the bones would also be an issue in the AHL, where there is plenty of hitting.

Mainly though, unlike in the past, we have a pretty deep roster of forwards in our top 12, and especially top 6,  so we don't have to rush him. Put that together with a recent history of rushing guys not always working out, Aho taking a year working out, and his slender frame, and he would have to make it clear he is fully ready and even then that he will produce significantly more than the next guy. 

Even though I feel it is unlikely, you never know. Offensively he is that dynamic.

I'm mixed on this one. The homeland is probably the right call but I would like to see him in the AHL. The problem (good one) is where do you put him? We have a lot of nice center depth in the Queen City, do you put Necas on the wing in the AHL?. I like him getting used the the NHL sized rink which is also important in his development. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm mixed on this one. The homeland is probably the right call but I would like to see him in the AHL.

Me too.

If we put him on an ELC, he could go to CLT. And though I know there are restrictions, I believe he would qualify to go back to CZ his season if we/he felt that was best, once he has some exposure to the physicality of the AHL, and an understanding of how he'll need to prepare next summer. Then, theoretically at least, he'd be much better positioned to make the jump to Raleigh in 18-19.

I wouldn't put him in Charlotte.

If he's good enough to make the club this year or close to it, he should be able to make it next year.  I'd rather have him in the NHL with 3 years on his ELC rather than having him waste a year of his ELC in Charlotte.

Edited by JCLA
  • Like 1

Having him play in Charlotte and them moving him to the Czech league sounds kind of ridiculous to me even if it was legal to do that.

And for the record AHL games don't count against a ELC (if he had one), it just slides one year (for his age group).

Edited by coastal_caniac

Finding out that we had him ranked #4 on our board made me go back and look at pre-draft rankings and compilations. One thing is that Necas was a slightly late riser. Not super late, but in the spring. By then a lot of top guys have sort of settled into their slots. Also playing in a men's Czech league gives him less direct comparison time with similar players in his draft class.

While rankings moved him up and down a bit (and there were a couple of outliers that had him lower), with one or two exceptions he was #8 to #13 in compilations. My last compilation of 6 scouting services had him #8. My personal hopes went Petersson, then Necas, but thought probably they'd both be gone. I did come across this, which I posted in the draft area, but brings a smile now. It was from a Detroit blogger:

Watching Nečas is a treat to behold. If you were to ask me who the top 5 skaters are in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft, I would probably rank Nečas’ skating abilities up there, if not top 3. I might even be inclined to say he might just be the best skater in the draft. One of the first things that catches your eye about him is how incredibly explosive he is, able to reach lighting quick speeds with only a few strides. His first step is a big part of this, which helps him get from 0-60 like he’s Secretariat jumping out of the gate at the Kentucky Derby. His footspeed makes him a force to be reckoned with on the transition, especially on odd-man rushes, where he can overwhelm opponents and overtake them very quickly.

Now having seen him twice in person and on the screen, I could not agree more with that assessment. Dead on.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

And for the record AHL games don't count against a ELC (if he had one), it just slides one year (for his age group).

Correct. ELC slide happens in the AHL just like juniors or overseas if the guy with the ELC is 18 or 19 years old on Sept 15th of the year in question. And Necas has signed his ELC, so he has one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Having him play in Charlotte and them moving him to the Czech league sounds kind of ridiculous to me even if it was legal to do that.

It's only ridiculous if he's ready to play in the A, which we won't know until we try it. Until now, hockey season for him has been half the games, and traveling a country that is one-seventh the size of Texas. And that doesn't even begin to factor in the differences in on-ice physicality.

If he adapts without a problem, though, sure. Keep him here.

30 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

It is ridiculous to think that team management would allow him to play in the AHL and then allow him to go back to the Czech league if he can't cut it.  "We" don't make those decisions.

Exactly. I can't see that playing out.

I'll admit it's an odd proposal. But we sent Rask to the Hitmen after he played 10 games with the Chex to start 2012, and he was a year older then than Necas is now. Plus, Rask totally cut it at CLT in those 10 games, tied for second among AHL rookies with a +7.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Setting the stage

21 minutes ago

Cam Ward will play all 60 minutes tonight in Washington, Peters said. Scott Darling will make his debut in Edmonton.

Justin Faulk will play his first preseason game tonight, pairing with Jaccob Slavin.

32 minutes ago

coach Bill Peters on : "He makes plays no matter where he is on the ice."

Alex Ovechkin, Evgeny Kuznetsov and former Capital Justin Williams are on the roster for tonight's -Canes preseason game in D.C.

PREVIEW

Anchoring the forwards tonight will be the top line of Teuvo Teravainen, Jordan Staal and Justin Williams.

"I want to see that line," head coach Bill Peters said. "I think it's going to be a real good line. It's got a lot of different elements to it.

Lineup

Teravainen-Staal-Williams
Nordstrom-Kruger-McGinn
Saarela-Necas-Kuokkanen
Zykov-Wallmark-Gauthier

Slavin-Faulk
Hanifin-McKeown
Dahlbeck-Carrick

Ward
Smith

1 minute ago, legend-1 said:

If we don't ice the real lineup soon Coastal's going to go postal.

I see what you did there. :P

I will be particularly interested to see how the Necas, Kook, Saarela line, does, though.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Teravainen-Staal-Williams
Nordstrom-Kruger-McGinn

It's possible those 2 lines will be the opening night lines.

You would think by the next game we will see a more roster ready lineup.  You would think,

On 9/22/2017 at 11:18 AM, coastal_caniac said:

I'm not sure about the legality of it, but I've got to believe that it would be a lot harder to move a player from N. America to an independent Czech league mid-season (or vice verse) than moving him between the AHL, ECHL, or Canadian juniors. 

Does anyone know if any NHL teams have a formal agreement with a Eurpoean team?  That's something I hope actually develops as a way around the stupid age rule that prevents the most talented prospects from playing in the AHL.  Widen the route that Matthews took to the NHL.