The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2017/18

In case anyone didn’t see:

Schlikey, our college senior AHL invite, put up 7 points in the two preseason games.  4g,3a.  Foegele was 2nd in points numbers and the chin had a bunch of assists.  

8-1 and 5-2 were the outcomes of the games.

Edited by gocanes0506

The Checkers continued to trim down their roster today, assigning forwards Steven Lorentz and Spencer Smallman, defenseman Keegan Kanzig and goaltender Callum Booth to the ECHL’s Florida Everblades.

Booth gets Florida.

On 10/1/2017 at 10:59 PM, remkin said:

Charlotte could should have a very good year.

Fixed that for ya!

I'll be very interested in tracking Charlotte this season, way more then in the past.

Edited by LakeLivin

On 10/1/2017 at 10:59 PM, remkin said:

Charlotte could should will have a very good year.

I went one further!!

We are finally seeing the bulk of Francis' best prospects hit Charlotte. Just need Bean and Necas and a couple of others, and they'd all be there.

Too bad I live 4 hours from Charlotte. Still, maybe one game. Wish they streamed them. Love to watch some of these guys.

It would be nice if we had a board member that goes to Checkers games and could report back. If anyone knows someone......

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

It would be nice if we had a board member that goes to Checkers games and could report back. If anyone knows someone......

I can take a hint...

I'm actually trying to work out getting by Boji's for their second of 2 open camp days tomorrow.  Maybe...

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

I can take a hint...

I'm actually trying to work out getting by Boji's for their second of 2 open camp days tomorrow.  Maybe...

realm! I really wasn't calling you out!! :wacko:I need to pay attention to people's Avatar and their location more! I was just saying in general...

However, if you do happen to catch any games/practices, we'd love to hear your thoughts!

I don't know if this has always been an option, but we can watch Checker's games on AHL live. It's not free though. $8/game but also 5 game 10 game and season passes.

The 10 game pass gets it down to $6.50/game. 

Thinking about watching a few now that we have so many possible future Canes down there.

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/home

Yeah watched this one on AHL live. Good game. Great comeback from down 4-2 to a 5-4 regulation win w/ 3 goals in the back half of the third.

• Like 1

M'boy Foegele with 2 goals including our first and the game winner. And he's on the 4th line. He goes to the net.

Carrick looked really solid, like an NHL D man playing with AHL players. If one day we ever trade Fleury, Carrick looks pretty good.

Nedel actually had a good game overall despite the score. Lots of chances both ways. One brain fart at the side of the net let one in. But lots of good saves too.

Gauthier made that exact sweet move coming down the left side that he did on youtube, and got around the D man, very sweet but didn't finish. McKeown looked a bit shakey.

Saarela with a highlight goal strong to the net with the D man literally hanging off him and put it in. Also fired a couple of serious bullets that didn't go in. He also looked very strong on the puck.

Zykov looked good and his goal was a pp snipe.

This is a young team that should get better and better as the year goes on.

12 hours ago, remkin said:

M'boy Foegele with 2 goals including our first and the game winner. And he's on the 4th line. He goes to the net.

Carrick looked really solid, like an NHL D man playing with AHL players. If one day we ever trade Fleury, Carrick looks pretty good.

Nedel actually had a good game overall despite the score. Lots of chances both ways. One brain fart at the side of the net let one in. But lots of good saves too.

Gauthier made that exact sweet move coming down the left side that he did on youtube, and got around the D man, very sweet but didn't finish. McKeown looked a bit shakey.

Saarela with a highlight goal strong to the net with the D man literally hanging off him and put it in. Also fired a couple of serious bullets that didn't go in. He also looked very strong on the puck.

Zykov looked good and his goal was a pp snipe.

This is a young team that should get better and better as the year goes on.

Rem, how is Foegele's skating?  Top line speed, quickness?  Same question for Saarela?

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Rem, how is Foegele's skating?  Top line speed, quickness?  Same question for Saarela?

Well this was one game and streaming, so harder to be sure about Foogele's skating in the game. They've got him on their 4th line at the moment. But he skates well overall. This is going to be a hard forward group to crack in Raleigh, but I would not count this guy out. He has a lot of skill, but has added grit, wins battles and goes to the net. All things coaches like.

What I took from Saarela in this game was how strong he is on the puck. Both on boards and on that goal. The D man was literally trying to tackle him to take the penalty, but Saarela would just not go down and went pretty far with the guy draped on him and then beat the goalie. Did also see a couple of absolute laser shots by him.

Foegele is carving a good niche for himself.  I remember a lot of talk when he was with Kingston and then Erie of how he was a "swiss army knife" kind of player because he could be inserted anywhere in the lineup and plays both special teams well. 

Any chance we call him up and send Kuokkanen and Necas down?  Kuokkanen and Necas’ contracts can roll.  Foegele is 21 and cant roll anymore.  If he is hot, insert him in the lineup.  We need guys that can score.

I think the chance is pretty low. I like Foegele and would not be surprised if he had an NHL career. But he was on Charlotte's 4th line. He has a ways to go still. Also, while I like Foagle, I like Kuok more and he is getting it done in the NHL at a younger age.

To me the interesting thing here at the start is if Kuok sticks.

Yeah, let's talk again in two years. The org is deep.  I still like him though even as an over-ager.

RF still has to make deals and if we can get close to or even an NHLer out of the third round put it down to continued good scouting.