The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2017/18

Checkers are 3 and 1. As such a new and young team they should just get better.

Nick Schilkey finally got into a game and scored. I think it's going to be hard to keep scratching him, but it really does speak to the team's depth, especially up front.

I need to make it to one of these games.  How do those of you who attend like the in-game experience? I'm sorry to say I'm not as tuned into them as I want to be.

45 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ned played goal last night.  Reading the recap, Ned struggled handling the puck.

What I got from the article was more that he may have been too ambitious in playing the puck, subtle but important difference if true, imo.

Vellucci:  “Ned played well. He was a little rambunctious playing the puck, but they’re a fast team and if you have a goalie that can move the puck up then we can catch them and he helped us a lot there.”

Nedeljkovic:  “I try to do as much as I can with the puck, and I think a couple of times tonight I did a little too much. Whether you’ve got he same six guys back there or somebody new it doesn’t matter. As long as I can play the puck and I can play it well, it’s always going to be helpful to them and make their jobs easier.”

8 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

I need to make it to one of these games.  How do those of you who attend like the in-game experience? I'm sorry to say I'm not as tuned into them as I want to be.

I've made a few games, including playoffs. The game experience is really fun. Reminds me of a college atmosphere.

18 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

I've made a few games, including playoffs. The game experience is really fun. Reminds me of a college atmosphere.

Thanks Hopper. I know they play hard knowing that time in the big leagues are at stake. I’ve also heard games in these leagues are a little lighter on the wallet than an NHL games, making them great family night outings without breaking the bank. Do you know if any of their games are streamed online?

The games are available online. Go back to one of my posts on this thread for the link. There is a fee, but you can buy them one game at a time.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:53 PM, surfzone365 said:

Thanks Hopper. I know they play hard knowing that time in the big leagues are at stake. I’ve also heard games in these leagues are a little lighter on the wallet than an NHL games, making them great family night outings without breaking the bank. Do you know if any of their games are streamed online?

Oh definitely lighter on the wallet.

http://gocheckers.com/tickets/individual-tickets

Another indication on just how deep the org is becoming.

Abundance Of Forwards Leaves Checkers With Tough Lineup Decisions by Nicholas Niedzielski

Six different Charlotte skaters have recorded at least three points in four games, including Lucas Wallmark’s eight, which ranks second in the AHL overall, and eight different players have lit the lamp.

“If you play well the game before, you stay in, and if you don’t you come out,” he said. “You’re going to get in the lineup and stay in the lineup if you compete every night and do what the coaches ask.

the Checkers – who have been carrying 15 forwards since the start of the year. But after a tough loss to Bridgeport in the home opener, Vellucci made some changes by bringing Stortini and Schilkey into the fold and scratching Sergey Tolchinsky and rookie Julien Gauthier for the next night’s rematch.

Reading the entire article it sounds like Vellucci has a handle on it. He noted communicating with the player was key so they don;t get discouraged if they are scratched.

Imagine if we send Kuokanen back or even he and Necas.

What a great tool to get the message to guys like Gauthier. Not only will you not see the NHL if you don't play right, you might not even see the AHL ice.

• Like 1

Checkers won! 5-2.  Carrick, Foegle, McKeown, Poturalski, and Stortini scored.

ned stopped 20 of 22. Only giving up 22 shots while having 8 PKs is good. The 8 PKs arent good though.

no Gauthier 

• Like 1

Foegele with 5 goals in his first 5 games. Wallmark with 9 points in 5 games. Checkers best start in franchise history 4-1.

I had Wallmark slotted onto the 4th line in Raleigh till we got Kruger. Good to see him lighting it up. And if our guys don't go to the net, get Zykov back up here. He has 5 goals and 8 points in 7 games. Checkers 5-2.