The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2017/18

Still a little surprised that we have not seen Zykov as of yet with 10 goals. I guess the question is where do you put him? He's -9 and is a right wing where we really do not have a weakness. Our fourth line has been solid so again not sure where to put him. Never mind i answered my own question.

Checkers swept the weekend against Springfield.

Friday 4-1

Miller scored the 1st. Foegle scored a hat trick after (shorty, 5v5, EN).  Ned stopped all but one. Bishop had 3 assists. Brown, Wallmark, Robertson, and Miller had an assist.

Foegle is now the team leader with 12 goals (Zykov has 10).

Sunday 4-3

Checkers had to come back from 3-1 to win. Wallmark scored in the first.  Brown (PP) and Gauthier scored in the 2nd to tie it.  Saarela scored in the later half of the third on the PP for the W. Ned was in goal again. Roy, Saalera, McKeown, Bishop, Miller and Kuokkanen had an assist.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update GoCanes. Got me inspired (as did my trip down there) to do a deeper dive on the Checkers:

Checkers have gotten Zykov and Wallmark back now.

Checkers are #2 in the AHL in goals/game at 3.65. Also have the #3 PP in the AHL.

M'boy Foegele is #3 in the AHL in goals, #1 for rookies, and just put up the only hat trick by a rookie in Checkers history (and only the third ever). Watch this kid.

Kuokanen, after joining the team late, and getting his footing is now quitely just under a ppg. Watch this kid.

Zykov and Wallmark have also both proven they deserve a shot in the NHL. Both can create offense better than PDG or frankly Marcus "zero goals" Kruger. Yes, I get that Kruger is a professional 4th liner, and does other things, but we need goals from everywhere, and it's not like Wallmark doesn't play D, he leads the team in plus minus. I also get that Kruger is signed, but just saying it would be nice to give Wallmark a shot.

Roy and Saarela are putting it together, but are the next level down. And Gauthier is scoring more recently, but still needs work.

On D, Carrick is the most NHL ready and 12 points in 20G, but McKeown (tied) leads the team at plus 9, and is improved from last year, and could be a bottom pair guy for us if we needed him.

Ned's save percentage is pedestrian at .907. He does have an 11-2 record though. He gets a lot of run support. Jury still out on him IMHO.

It should be mentioned that Andrew Miller leads the team in scoring and is key for them. I don't mention him as much because I see the Checkers mostly in their farm club role, and Miller is 29 and 5'10" 180. While he might get a "thanks for your service" call up, he is more likely a perma-AHL player.

I'd call up Zykov and/or Wallmark first. Kuok and Foegele are AHL rookies and don't need to be rushed, though both have earned a call if the team decides to go that way.

On the Carrick being the most ready, I believe he wont be called up until he gets his PIM under control.  We pride ourselves on not taking penalties. He would have 11 more than anyone on the team(Williams is the leader with 18, btw). He would have 8 more minutes than Pesce, Slavin (a big 0 so far, WOW), Fleury, TVR, and Hanifin combined. Its crazy that 5 of our starting 6 have a combined 21 PIM this season.  Then again if they hit more we’d probably see more roughing penalty minutes, its a give and take.  Only Faulk with 16 “messes up” the entire top 6.  

Wallmark leads the team with PPG with 1.2. Kuokkanen and PDG are 2nd with .85 PPG. Miller, Foegle, and Zykov are around .75. 

Well the bashing of the team really has taken the focus off of Charlotte.  They again swept the weekend (against two teams?

Friday 2-1 Poturalski and Miller scored. Smith was in goal.  17 power play opportunities combined. They have not lost 1 goal game in regular time, 5-0-1.

Sunday 7-1 Zykov and Gauthier (YES) had two goals each. The chin had a big 4 point game with 1 goal and 3 assists.  Gauthier was +3. Poturalski and Schlikey scored the other two.  Zykov is tied for the team lead in goals at 12.

Tuesday 3-6.  Ended the team record of a point streak. Lehigh scored 21 seconds into the game. Gauthier scored again, yes! Poturalski scored but was -3 and Carrick scored.

• Like 2

Charlotte got revenge against Lehigh. 5-2 win. Brown (2), Poturalski, Zykov, and Miller scored.  Kuokkanen had 2 assists.  Smith was in goal.  Gauthier didn’t record a point tonight.  

Whats crazy is Gauthier put up 3 goals in 2 games but only has 8 total points.

Zykov regained the team lead in goals scored.  Why haven’t we seen this guy yet? Only needs 3 more goals scored to surpass last years total after 66 games.  

Charlotte is third in their division.

Edited by gocanes0506

Good stuff gocanes.

There is just soooo much good going on in prospect-land and the pool depth is really showing up in Charlotte this year. As I type, the Checkers are #1 in the AHL in goals per game at 3.74 goals/game. Wonder if the #27 NHL team could use a little of that?

Zykov and Wallmark are IMO the two most ready for call up in terms of production and experience. Both were hurt, which may be playing a role in that, but at least Zykov seems back on track. He's tied for #4 in goals in the AHL and two goals from #1 with one less game played.

The weird thing is who would they replace?Wallmark would really have to replace Ryan to have an impact, or Kruger, but that's 4th line minutes/role. And aside from weird bounces our 4th line doesn't score much. For all of his weakness on the puck and small stature, Ryan is pretty solid as a third liner and is on a 40 point pace. Zykov would really have to replace McGinn. But McGinn is on a 17 goal pace himself, and plays a good overall game. Coaches almost always prefer the guy who has proven he can play an NHL game over a prospect.

The thing is that this team is oddly deep. It's the top line talent we need more of. This makes it hard for anyone to break in from Charlotte.

Anyways, there is definitely an AHL learning curve for the vast majority of players. This is a big step up from Junior hockey. So Gauthier and Roy starting a bit slow and then starting to find it is really expected. I would argue that this fact also makes Foegele's start all the more impressive too.

Charlotte won again and Lavar continues their slide.  3-1 Checkers. Smith was in goal.  Zykov scored again and Wallmark added a goal and assist. Carrick added two assists as well.

Chris Terry assisted in Lavar’s goal.

zykov is tied for AHL lead in goals and leads the AHL in PP goals.

Checkers rallied to win.  Checkers were up 3-2 after 2.  Rockets scored 3 of the next 4 to take a 5-4 lead. Checkers scored the last 3 to include the game winning SH goal. 

Foegle had 2 goals and an assist (5v5 & EN)

Zykov had 2 goals and an assist (PP)

Wallmark had 1 goal and 2 assists (PP)

Roy had a goal (PP)

Bishop scored the SH goal.  

Foegle has 4 shortys this season, which is tied for 1st in the AHL.

Zykov is tied for 1st in the AHL for goals at 17 and 1st for PP goals

Foegle is tied for 5th in the AHL with 14 goals

wallmark is a Peters mold player.  He has 22 points in 17 games with a whopping 2 PIM.  

Edited by gocanes0506

And Zykov is #1 in goals/game for at least 20 games played. This is not just to adjust for the guy ahead of him, but guys below him with less games too.

It would be nice to find a way to get this guy a look.

Learned from Canescountry that Gauthier is rocking the boat.  Complaining about his lack of PT and no play on special teams to the media.

He is 6’4 and 225 lbs but barely noticed on the ice.

47 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Learned from Canescountry that Gauthier is rocking the boat.  Complaining about his lack of PT and no play on special teams to the media.

You have to earn your ice time, and from all i've seen, he hasn't done anything to earn it.  Dude should be one of the top prospects by now, pushing for an NHL spot.  Think he'd have any value on the trade market?  The Canes have enough forward prospects without having a spot wasted by an entitled underachiever.  That or send him to Florida.  Sounds like the kid needs a wake-up call.  "Here's your PT, kid.  Show you still have it and maybe we'll let you have some in the AHL again".

Of course after yesterday, half of the Canes could probably be sent to Florida as well...

Edited by realmdrakkar
  • Like 1

I would not trade low on him. He is the exact guy who needs AHL time.

There was one thing I actually would feel for him if true. "nothing is said to me".  If that's true, it's not ideal. Why not sit him down, show him film, and explain to him that he's on a stacked team that plays the game right. He'll get there, but this is what we need to see."

He has too much potential to sell low. He has to work though it.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Five players in the AHL that are forcing their way onto NHL rosters.  Check it out.

https://www.nhl.com/news/prospects-on-the-rise-zykov-smith-anas/c-294182920?tid=280759222

Thanks coastal.  I expected to see Zykov but was surprised that Foegele was also included, which means that Chex comprised 40% of the list.  Hopefully RF and BP read the article as well.  According to my math, we can bring up 1 Checker without exposing anyone to waivers.  So what's the down side to giving one or the other a look?

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

https://www.canescountry.com/2017/12/19/16794004/charlotte-checkers-corner-laval-rocket-lehigh-valley-phantoms-warren-foegele-valentin-zykov

36 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

So what's the down side to giving one or the other a look?

I don't see a downside and would welcome a look. Peters changes the lines nightly,why not look at a new face. Kind of amazing really especially after the long look they gave Necas.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Thanks coastal.  I expected to see Zykov but was surprised that Foegele was also included, which means that Chex comprised 40% of the list.  Hopefully RF and BP read the article as well.  According to my math, we can bring up 1 Checker without exposing anyone to waivers.  So what's the down side to giving one or the other a look?

Foegele is taking advantage of his chances that's for dang sure.

Do we have anybody on the roster right now aside from Fleury who is waiver exempt. PDG isn't.

Edited by coastal_caniac