The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2017/18

I just peeked at Chex player stats. 16 of Zykov's 30 goals were on the PP and his overall shooting percentage is 29.7% ! That's ridiculously good, but no way is it sustainable. [almost every time I hear the term "regression to the mean" used in reference to hockey, it's with regard to players shooting percentages]  Not to say I don't want to see what he can do in Raleigh, just that I expect his scoring to cool down even in Charlotte, let alone be replicated at the NHL level.  Again, I'd love to see what Zykov does with the Canes, but just based on what I see on paper, I'm even more excited to see Foegele, who has 4 SHGs in addition to his 20 even strength ones.

Edited by LakeLivin

One thing I've longed for on these boards since the Canes got a team in Charlotte was someone posting on this board who regularly goes to Checkers games to keep us updated on these guys. I've been following Foegele since we drafted him because he always intrigued me. He seemed like the perfect use of a mid round pick. A guy who had a lot of upside, but questions about the level of competition he faced early on. I've always liked how he looked on the ice from the first camp he attended.

I'll use whatever tiny amateur scouting cred I might have built up (not cred scouting amateurs but an amateur at scouting) to predict Foegele ends up as an NHL player. It is very similar to my take on McGinn, who, since I just met his Dad, I can now take a bit of credit for liking. Foegle just looks like a skilled hockey player on the ice. And as his game has developed he's developed a really good work ethic and physicality on the ice too. Again, like McGinn. I'd guess that Foegele has even more offensive upside than McGinn and a touch more overall talent (though until Foegele makes it happen in the NHL McGinn stays ahead.

He really came alive in the Junior playoffs and memorial cup tourney (which was on TV so I got to see him work) last year playing with very elite prospects.

During the prospect camp this year, he made a mid ice move that was just sick. Not on TV and not leading to a goal, it just kind of went by, but that was a crazy move. Then, seeing his production in Charlotte, he seems for real.

Then, though true he is a bit over-aged for an AHL rookie, it still is his first taste of the AHL, something many prospects take a year or more to adjust to. It is one of the reasons that some guys with nice AHL numbers in their 3rd or 4th season, are not necessarily NHL material. But a guy who arrives fresh to the AHL and is immediately producing is something to respect. Foegle leads the league in goals by rookies, with two more goals than the next rookie, Dylan Strome, who was #3 overall (admittedly in more games, and admittedly one year younger, but still impressive).

Lastly Foegele is a plus 19. That is plus 7 better than the next forward on the team, and good for #8 in the AHL for forwards. This should give Peters confidence in bringing him up. I want to see at least some of him this year in Raleigh, but if not, next year for sure. He is that gritty forward who can score that we've long wanted here.

In researching Foegele, I noticed that Roland McKeown's plus 30. That's plus 30, which is good for #3 in the AHL (#1 is plus 32, so not far off). He is not going to put in 19 goals like Faulk, but it's time to start playing some plus players. As the RHD heir apparent, McKeown's development should let the new GM move Faulk for a forward.

And not to go overboard on the plus minus, but Zykov's -16 is second worst on the team (same team McKeown is plus 30 on). I'm also all for seeing what he can do here since he goes to the net, and especially on the PP, but I think he is slow and does not seem to be getting back on D 5 on 5.

Just now, hopper915 said:

Nedeljkovic SCORES A GOAL TONIGHT FOR THE CHECKERS!!!!

Yep empty netter. 

Foegele scored his 25th. Even with 7 goals for Charlotte, Zykov didn’t score a goal in this one.  Zykov even went +1

Sweet McKegg is back up to a PPG player!!!  Best deadline deal eva!  

Gauthier has 12 goals and 4 assists in 53 games. ?

Edited by gocanes0506

The thing that is hard to figure out on the Checkers though, is their recent productivity. Gauthier started very slow, was benched and put on the 4th line for periods. I am thinking he must be scoring at a better pace lately, but I don't know. But yeah, let's hope he's one of those guys that needs an AHL year plus to get up to speed.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

The thing that is hard to figure out on the Checkers though, is their recent productivity. Gauthier started very slow, was benched and put on the 4th line for periods. I am thinking he must be scoring at a better pace lately, but I don't know. But yeah, let's hope he's one of those guys that needs an AHL year plus to get up to speed.

Games that Gauthier scored (put a 2 besides the 2 games he had 2 goals)

5, 14, 17, 19(2), 20, 24, 25, 39, 48(2), 53

It was looking like in late November / December that he had figured something out.  Scored 7 goals in 12 games.  But then scored 4 goals over his last 28 games.  

1 in 13 games

7 in 12 games

4 in 28 games

Yeah 4 in 28 not good for a guy picked specifically to score goals. Still way too early to give up on him, but he needs to figure it out.

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

1 in 13 games

7 in 12 games

4 in 28 games

Seems like he has a little bit of Aho, Skinner and Rask in him. 

Zykov scored and went a +2? today 

McKeown & Wallmark a G & A

Foegele a G

the main 2 keep scoring 

McKegg another assist.  PPG remains 1.00!

Edited by gocanes0506

Most of us would like more info on what's happening in Charlotte from an informed source.  Here are some thoughts from Jason Shaya, the Chex play by play announcer.

• Considering the way his rookie season has gone, I have to believe Warren Foegele gets a look from the Hurricanes before season's end. His scoring pace has been steady all year and he's the only player amongst scoring leaders that doesn't have a power-play goal. He does it all at even strength or shorthanded. How many top goal scorers in the AHL could score at the same rate as Foegele if they weren't on the power-play? I'd say hardly any.

• Since being reassigned by Carolina to Charlotte, it is clear to me that the Checkers would be in dire circumstances if it wasn't for Lucas Wallmark. In my estimation, he has done everything to warrant a permanent spot in the NHL next season. For the time being, it is Wallmark who propels this team offensively.

• Records that have been broken this season in Charlotte: Goals by a rookie (Foegele), wins (and goals scored) by a goaltender (Alex Nedeljkovic). When the season concludes it's more than likely Wallmark will average more points per game (1.15) than any player in team history, breaking Zach Boychuk's record (1.08). Nedeljkovic has five shutouts this season and the single season record is six by Justin Peters in 2012-13. Valentin Zykov is scoring at .522 goals per game, which is within reach of Boychuk’s .525. The plus/minus records will be absolutely shattered by Roland McKeown and Phillip Samuelsson and more than likely Foegele as well. All three should top Haydn Fleury's +16 from last season

Before we get too excited about the records being broken, though, note that the previous record holders include Zach Boychuk and Justin Peters. :unsure:

http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/shayas-10-thoughts-march-20-2018

Edited by LakeLivin

Confirms what I've been on about.

I do wish we'd call up Foegele and Wallmark too if possible for the remainder. Rotate some healthy scratches.

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

Confirms what I've been on about.

I do wish we'd call up Foegele and Wallmark too if possible for the remainder. Rotate some healthy scratches.

Yeah, I'd love to especially see Foegele.  I'd wager that Canes aren't going to jeopardize the Chex playoff chances, which is one thing that might limit moves at this point.  Chex are currently 9 points up on Bridgeport for the last playoff spot in their Division, with 9 games left.  Bridgeport does have 2 beans in their pocket.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah, I'd love to especially see Foegele.  I'd wager that Canes aren't going to jeopardize the Chex playoff chances, which is one thing that might limit moves at this point.  Chex are currently 9 points up on Bridgeport for the last playoff spot in their Division, with 9 games left.  Bridgeport does have 2 beans in their pocket.

Count me in the group that thinks that the player's development should take priority. Not only for the Canes benefit, but also the player. As much as I'm sure Warren wants to help his team, I'm pretty sure he'd much rather get some NHL games in.

I see Foegele as a guy who really could have a legit shot of making the Canes next year and helping the team. Getting a taste of the NHL now would be very helpful for his offseason preparation and how he can attack camp next year. Plus, he's earned it, both with his offense and his defense and style of play.

The Checkers got Gregg McKegg don't forget!

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I see Foegele as a guy who really could have a legit shot of making the Canes next year and helping the team. Getting a taste of the NHL now would be very helpful for his offseason preparation and how he can attack camp next year. Plus, he's earned it, both with his offense and his defense and style of play.

And he's already eligible to play in the AHL playoffs so best of both worlds.  Bring him up for a taste and to see what he can contribute, then send him back for the playoffs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Count me in the group that thinks that the player's development should take priority. Not only for the Canes benefit, but also the player. As much as I'm sure Warren wants to help his team, I'm pretty sure he'd much rather get some NHL games in.

The Checkers got Gregg McKegg don't forget!

Lol.  Actually, Shaya made the point that McKegg was the best TD addition he could remember (over a ppg pace since joining the Chex). I didn't include that above as it seems like a Chex thing, not one that might help the Canes long term.  

As a Canes fan, sure, player development would seem to take priority. And the Canes own the rights to players like Foegele, who we loan to Charlotte.  But the Chex are an independent entity, with their own business model, loyal paying fan base, etc.  I don't think the franchise can completely ignore their interests, at least not long term, and expect them to retain a partnership with the Canes.  

Having said that, the Chex seem close to essentially locking down a playoff spot.  And we could send PDG down, with little risk of losing him off waivers, to fill in the gap left by calling up Foegele.  Which actually might make sense for the Chex.  I believe we qualified PDG to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, so giving him a few games before then to reestablish chemistry with the current Chex team might be a good move for them.  

I think sending PDG down would be fine. The only thing is that he just had a career game. Might not be ideal at this exact moment. Do we have the roster space without doing it? I can never keep up with that for some reason.