The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2017/18

41 minutes ago, remkin said:

Is there a reason not to put them on IR?

Not that I know of.  But no reason to yet, either, unless we wanted to bring up another 2 Chex (in addition to keeping Zykov here).  Regardless of one's own philosophy on the Chex, can you see the Canes calling up the top 3 Chex forwards at this point of their season?  Perhaps if we wanted to see more of McKeown?  Or after the Chex have clinched?

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

Personally I would like to get some NHL games for Foegele and a few more for McKeown

Me too. And I wouldn't mind seeing Wallmark some more, as well.  Hopefully the Chex clinch soon so the playoff issue goes away.   Maybe play out the last X games of the season with a heavy dose of Checkers?

In Zykov's absence during the last 2 games (both wins) the following stepped up:

Saarela- 3 Gs, 1 A

Wallmark- 2 Gs, 3 As 

McKegg :D 1 G, 3 As (1.18 PPG)

Poturalski 2 Gs

As far as the checkers playoff chances go:

They only need to win 4 of their last 8 with the 5th place team (Bridgeport) winning their last 11 games to guarantee themselves a slot.  Of course any game that Bridgeport loses is one less that Charlotte has to win of the 4. If Bridgeport loses 4 games of their last 11, then the Checkers are in no matter what they do.  The Checkers and Bridgeport play the same amount of games so the impact on their winning percentage is equal.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Saarela is up to 23g, he's another one I wouldn't mind getting a peek at before the season is over.

Chex don't play again until Friday, I believe Bridgeport has 2 games before then.  If they lose both, that kind of makes it a non issue.  If they win both, it will be interesting to see if the Canes send Foegele (I've got a feeling Zykov is here for the remainder) back down for their Fri and Sat games at Rochester and Syracuse. 

Here's TheHockeyNews scouting report on some Chex we'll hopefully see quite a bit the rest of this season:

• Zykov: Has a very strong lower base, so he is very difficult to knock off the puck. Works the corners of the ice well and protects the puck with aplomb. Has a good shot and scoring instincts, too.

• Foegele:  Owns a very projectable frame and outstanding skating acumen. Displays the ability to score goals and also use his body to protect and knock opponents off the puck.

• Saarela:  Skates very well and displays constant energy on the ice. Is a sound playmaker with the ability to score goals, too. Can really dangle with the biscuit on his blade.
Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

Thanks for the scouting report on those guys Lake. It can be hard to find that stuff.

I am ready for us to bring up Wallmark too. Let Ryan rest. But I guess it would hurt the Checkers as they try to get in.

I just think Wallmark has more than he's shown so far at the NHL level.

I haven't seen those guys play, so it's good to read that Saarela and Foegele can skate.

p.s.  I had forgotten that after the trade deadline the 23 man roster limit doesn't apply, so we can bring up as many Chex as we'd like without worrying about our current roster players.

Edited by LakeLivin

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Here's TheHockeyNews scouting report on some Chex we'll hopefully see quite a bit the rest of this season:

• Zykov: Has a very strong lower base, so he is very difficult to knock off the puck. Works the corners of the ice well and protects the puck with aplomb. Has a good shot and scoring instincts, too.

•  

This is what excites me about Zykov. We need players that are hard to knock off the puck. I watched him in the corners and he is difficult to move and he protects the puck well. We need this type of guy greatly. He loves going to the net offering screens and sniffing for rebounds. The one negative is his speed but BP has stated that it hasn't hurt him so far. I noticed that a few times he has been the trailer entering the zone but he goes North/South well. Oh and the one time he was trailing he potted a goal in between the dots with a quick release.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

We need players that are hard to knock off the puck. I watched him in the corners and he is difficult to move and he protects the puck well.

x2. This is where Lindholm's progress has impressed me most (except maybe how he's pretty much living in the slot). He becoming a real beast in the corners.

Checkers are currently in the #6 spot for the playoffs with 8 games left in the season (4 home;4 away)

Only 3 points behind #5 WB-Scranton Penguins and 4 points behind #4 Providence Bruins.

Only these three teams have not clinched their playoff spots for the Eastern Conference.

Edited by hopper915

14 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Checkers are currently in the #6 spot for the playoffs with 8 games left in the season (4 home;4 away)

Only 3 points behind #5 WB-Scranton Penguins and 4 points behind #4 Providence Bruins.

Only these three teams have not clinched their playoff spots for the Eastern Conference.

its based on points percentage (basically winning percentage) in the AHL.  Not all the teams play the same amount of games.  Charlotte is currently fourth in the division.  They are scheduled to play the 1st play team in the division if we started today.  The checkers would need to win at least 5 of the last 8 and maybe the losses by OT losses to give them a good shot at getting 3rd, maybe 2nd if Providence and Scranton fall flat. 

50 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Never understood why anybody ever thought the guy would have a chance.  Contract spot is now open.

Quickly filled by Helvig. Signed to a 3 year 2 way deal.

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

its based on points percentage (basically winning percentage) in the AHL.  Not all the teams play the same amount of games.  Charlotte is currently fourth in the division.  They are scheduled to play the 1st play team in the division if we started today.  The checkers would need to win at least 5 of the last 8 and maybe the losses by OT losses to give them a good shot at getting 3rd, maybe 2nd if Providence and Scranton fall flat. 

Actually the reason for the percentage ranking in the AHL is because the Western Conference teams do not play the same amount of games, unlike the Eastern Conference, who I believe will all end up playing the same amount. I believe it is due to the travel restrictions the Western Conference teams endure.

Per @Sport_BO #Canes' F Sergei Tolchinsky is set to sign with CSKA once his season is over #KHL

Tolchinsky said in an interview he was only thinking about the playoffs and not returning to Russia. He said other NHL teams have been interested in him. He said he intends to honor his contract with the Canes

12 hours ago, OBXer said:

Tolchinsky said in an interview he was only thinking about the playoffs and not returning to Russia. He said other NHL teams have been interested in him. He said he intends to honor his contract with the Canes

Maybe have been interested in him. Hard to see any NHL interest at this point unless it's a two way. I've always pulled for him as the underdog, but tiny guys have to not only look skilled, but produce massively to garner serious NHL interest, and Tolchinski has not produced enough for that.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Maybe have been interested in him. Hard to see any NHL interest at this point unless it's a two way. I've always pulled for him as the underdog, but tiny guys have to not only look skilled, but produce massively to garner serious NHL interest, and Tolchinski has not produced enough for that.

Yeah and you get the feeling there is a little posturing going on as well

Chex and Bridgeport both win, magic points down to 6.

Saarela with a goal and 2 assists, McKegg with 2 goals and an assist.

Edited by LakeLivin

Jeremy Smith in goal for the Chex and Bobby Goepfert (??)  listed as the backup.  Anyone know if something is up with Ned?

edit: Goepfert is listed as 34 years old, with a total of 6 AHL games to his credit, the last in the 2010-11 season.  Emergency backup?  Or an early April Fool's Day stunt?

edit 2: Chex site says Ned missed game due to injury. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm guessing Chex signed Goepfert in Syracuse as an emergency backup. 

Here's what I found during a google check:

Syracuse Stars Hire Bobby Goepfert as Head Premier, Associate Head U-16 Coach  (headline dated 8/12/17)

(The Syracuse Stars are members of the U.S. Premier Hockey League, in case any of you were wondering) :P

Edited by LakeLivin

The Checkers can clinch a playoff spot with a Bridgeport regulation loss at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this Friday.

The Checkers passed Providence, which has two games in hand, for third in the Atlantic Division.