The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Charlotte Checkers 2017/18

3 hours ago, hopper915 said:

The Checkers can clinch a playoff spot with a Bridgeport regulation loss at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this Friday.

The Checkers passed Providence, which has two games in hand, for third in the Atlantic Division.

Technically Providence is still in third since AHL standings formally go by pts % instead of total points. But it's close enough either way to raise the question: how important would it be to finish 3rd and play 2nd place Wilkes-Barrie instead of 1st place Lehigh in the first round? I have no feel for any other AHL teams . . .

Fluery heading to the playoffs

Hurricanes Assign Valentin Zykov, Roland McKeown, Haydn Fleury and Nicolas Roy to Charlotte  by Paul Branecky

The addition of Fleury, who has only played one AHL game this season while spending the rest of the season at the NHL level with Carolina for the first time, provides a further boost.

Hopefully they have a nice deep run. At least some playoffs to care about.

Great to hear Kuok with the big night too. That's another guy to watch.

Janne Kuokkanen stole the show in Friday’s victory over the Hershey Bears

Greg McKegg has gone on a tear since joining the Checkers at the NHL trade deadline

The Checkers have been one of the hottest teams in the AHL coming down the stretch.

• Valentin Zykov is tied for the league lead in goals (32), leads the league in power-play goals (16) and shooting percentage (29.1) and ranks third in the AHL in power-play points (29)
  • Trevor Carrick ranks fourth in the AHL in power-play assists and ranks fourth among blue liners in assists (32), sixth in points (41) and fifth in power-play points (23)
  • Philip Samuelsson leads the AHL in plus-minus (+44)
  • Roland McKeown is tied for second in the AHL in plus-minus (+35)
  • Alex Nedeljkovic is tied for the league lead in wins (31), tied for third in shutouts (5) and ranks second in minutes (2726)
  • Warren Foegele is tied for the league lead in game-winning goals (8), ranks second among league rookies in goals (26) and eighth in scoring (44), leads all rookies in shorthanded points (6), is tied for the lead in shorthanded goals (4) and assists (2) and is tied for third in plus-minus (+21)
  • Aleksi Saarela ranks third among AHL rookies in goals (25), is tied for 10th in scoring (42) and is tied for the lead in power-play goals (11)

•  

Charlotte win again, 5-3.  6 in a row. They have taken over third slot.

They have 1 game.  I didn’t do the math but they may have a chance to snatch 2nd if: Charlotte wins last game and Penguins lose both of their games in regulation.

Fleury scored and went +2

Zykov, Carrick, and Roy scored and had an assist

Wallmark scored and had 2 assists

Smith in goal.

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Charlotte win again, 5-3.  6 in a row. They have taken over third slot.

They have 1 game.  I didn’t do the math but they may have a chance to snatch 2nd if: Charlotte wins last game and Penguins lose both of their games in regulation.

Smith in goal.

Magic number for clinching 3rd is 1 point (either a Chex point or Providence not winning both of their remaining games).  You're right about finishing 2nd, that scenario would result in 96 pts each and Chex own the tiebreaker.  2nd plays 3rd, so the only difference would be home ice advantage in a best of 5 series.

Chex hottest team in the AHL, 8-1-1 over their last 10 games and an active 9 game point streak.. 

Ned was supposed to be back, but still listed as out with an injury.  Hopefully it's not something that's nagging, and they're just being cautious leading into the playoffs.

Wilkes-Barre clinched 2nd place, Chex 1 point ahead of Providence for 3rd with 1 game to play for each (Chex own tiebreaker). 

Chex will be away team against either 1st place Lehigh Valley or 2nd place Wilkes-Barre.

Congrats to Zykov on the title.  I'm optimistic about him, but still just a bit guardedly so.  Winning the goal scoring title is great. The fact that Zach Boychuk was another Checker to have done so, and that Chris Terry took the AHL overall scoring title this season, tempers my optimism just a bit as regards to how well the accomplishment might be predictive of NHL success.  As does Zykov's 29.5% shooting percentage.  That's not close to sustainable in the AHL (regression towards the mean), let alone in the NHL.  I'm still optimistic, but if I had to project between the two, I'd pick Foegele as being a surer bet as ending up a high contributor for the Canes. But hey, why not both? They both got off to a great start, here's hoping they can build on it next fall. :crossfingers:

Looks like Ned is back

With Alex Nedeljkovic on the mend, the Checkers have returned goaltender Callum Booth to the ECHL’s Florida Everblades.

Overall this season, Booth has gone 2-1-0 in four appearances with a 1.60 goals-against average and a .941 save percentage.

• Like 1

Charlotte forward Andrew Miller will head to Switzerland next season with Fribourg-Gotteron of the NLA

Some of the Chex UFAs and RFAs are going to have to move on. We have a bunch of prospects who need to play in Charlotte next season and we need to make room. I think most of our UFAs in Charlotte are 25 or older. They can read the writing on the wall.

• Like 1

Checkers announced their end of season award winners: http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/checkers-2017-18-award-winners-announced

Some interesting points to me:

Warren Foegele's 28 goals came without a single powerplay goal and most of the year on the de facto 4th line. He was #1 in the AHL in 5 on 5 goals. He plays physical too. Checks all boxes for at least a 4th liner in the NHL. They may want to move him up the lineup next year in Charlotte first, but this is a guy that could contribute in the NHL now IMO.

Lucas Wallmark was the most productive player in the entire AHL. 1.22 ppg. The team lagged with him out of the lineup. He's not yet clicked in the NHL, but he is ready for a bigger chance. I know we are saddled with Rask's salary, but if we can find a way to dump that, I remain enamored with the idea of a AHL 4th lline, maybe throw Martinook in there.

Valentin Zykov lead the AHL in goals. "Near unstoppable around the net, physically overpowering and getting to the right areas."

Zykov and Foegele combine aspects of physicality with scoring, and going to the net. Sure seems what a lot of people on here want. And we already have them. Need to move guys to make room. Maybe trade Rask for picks and retain some salary if needed. Don't re-sign PDG or Ryan or Nordstrom.

Trevor Carrick and Roland McKeown can probably play in the NHL if we move D men.

While Nedljovik's numbers don't say he's ready, apparently he made major strides this last year and is playing much much better.