The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Florida Everblades 2017/18

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Interesting, but is there a reason? And what about Smallman that someone was inquiring about?

Never mind, found gocanes0506 posted something on Smallman under Junior Hockey players, thanks gc0506. What was his injury anyway, and why so long to heal? Sorry, haven't kept up with him too closely.

Shoulder injury that required surgery.  He was injured before Florida's opener.  

40 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

what about Smallman

Since returning from injury in late February and being assigned to Florida he has skated in 5 games and has 4 assists

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, OBXer said:

Since returning from injury in late February and being assigned to Florida he has skated in 5 games and has 4 assists

Smallman is up to 8 assists in 8 ECHL games after shoulder surgery.

• Like 1

I was a bit surprised that Smallman didn't make the Checkers. He was a late round pick, but he had a pretty nice Junior Hockey Career and was a beast in the playoffs. Our head scout had a lot of good things to say about him in an interview on Hockey Prospects a couple of years ago, even comparing him to Scott Walker. 

I wouldn't put it past him to be the rare guy that climbs up out of the ECHL.

To update the Smallman watch: Smallman has 2 goals and 9 assists in 10 ECHL games. I hope that he gets a couple of AHL games this season although he wont be eligible for their playoffs this season.  He can go back to Florida for ECHL playoffs.  

Everblades Secure Brabham Cup with 5-1 Win Over Icemen

The Florida Everblades 5-1 victory over the Jacksonville Icemen  secured the Brabham Cup, which is awarded to the ECHL’s regular season champion for finishing with the best record. 

It marked the third time Florida has earned the regular season trophy (1999-2000 & 2008-09).  

So OBXer, is this and Checkers' playoff run an actual "ground swell" that will carry all the way up to the top level? Sure would hope that's the case.

On another front, I never thought much about this, but with so much time on my hands due once again to early tee times, are there waiver requirements between ECHL and AHL? I have never seen them, but really unsure.  

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So OBXer, is this and Checkers' playoff run an actual "ground swell" that will carry all the way up to the top level?

Well they have missed the playoffs once since 1999. They won the Kelly Cup in 2012. So I wouldn't hold my breath. Winning is always important. It's a long way from the ECHL to the NHL. On any given year you might have one or two players that have a chance to get to the big club at some point. LaRose did,

** 32 Everblades Players are listed as “ECHL Graduates” (Player who played in ECHL before the NHL)

There are agreements between ECHL and AHL teams but I don't think any call ups require waivers.I'm not sure though

Written by Keaton Hanley 

ESTERO, FL – Martin Ouellette set a new club record earning his 33rd win of the season to lead the Florida Everblades to a 4-1 victory over the Jacksonville Icemen in front of an announced crowd of 7,214 at Germain Arena Saturday night.  The Everblades conclude the regular season with a 53-13-2-4 mark, tying a team record for most wins in a season (53) and setting a new record for points in a season (112). Florida ends the regular season on a ten-game win streak. The Blades also broke their fewest goals allowed record, allowing only 171 goals on the year, beating the previous record set in 1998-1999 of 180

• Like 1

Brad Ralph Receives John Brophy Award as ECHL Coach of the Year

Ralph led the Everblades to a 53-13-6 record, their third South Division title in the last four seasons and the club’s third Brabham Cup in team history. The Everblades’ 112 points set a new club record while the 53 wins tied the most in team history, which was originally set in the 1999-2000 season

Blades begin quest tonight

#1 Florida Everblades (53-13-6) vs. #4 Atlanta Gladiators (32-35-5)
Game 1 – Monday, April 16 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Florida
Game 2 – Tuesday, April 17 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Florida
Game 3 – Thursday, April 19 at 7:35 p.m. ET at Atlanta
Game 4 – Friday, April 20 at 7:35 p.m. ET at Atlanta
Game 5 – Sunday, April 22 at 2:05 p.m. ET at Atlanta (If Necessary)
Game 6 – Tuesday, April 24 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Florida (If Necessary)
Game 7 – Wednesday, April 25 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Florida (If Necessary)

Everblades Claim Game One with 4-1 Victory Over Atlanta  by Keaton Hanley

ESTERO, FL – Mitchell Heard and Michael Kirkpatrick each posted three-point performances to lead the Florida Everblades to a 4-1 victory over the Atlanta Gladiators in Game One of the South Division Semifinals at Germain Arena Monday evening. Florida takes a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven playoff series.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

yes. i live there

I did not know that. Interesting. My Dad lives part time in Fort Myers maybe get him to a home game.

The two teams will meet again in Game 4 on Friday at the Infinite Energy Arena at 7:35 p.m.

Kirkpatrick’s Two Tallies Lift ‘Blades Past Gladiators in Game 3

DULUTH, GA – Michael Kirkpatrick scored twice to lead the Florida Everblades to a 4-2 victory over the Atlanta Gladiators in Game 3 of the South Division Semifinals played at Infinite Energy Arena Thursday evening.  The Everblades now take a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

Callum Booth was stellar in goal stopping 22 of the 24 shots faced in the game ot earn his first professional playoff victory.

Gladiators-4-19-2018-35.jpg

• Like 1

At the Everblades vs Glads game.  I sat at the end Atlanta shot at twice, intentionally, to see Booth in net.  Ouellette is in net tonight?‍♂️.  15 SOG total through 1.5 periods.  Florida gets a goal nullified and Atlanta scores a minute later.

43 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

At the Everblades vs Glads game.  I sat at the end Atlanta shot at twice, intentionally, to see Booth in net.  Ouellette is in net tonight?‍♂️.  15 SOG total through 1.5 periods.  Florida gets a goal nullified and Atlanta scores a minute later.

Thanks for the post

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Blades complete first round sweep in OT

Wow you saw a heck of a game. Don't forget to tell us all about it. Go Blades