gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

14 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

From todays practice:

Williams,Skinner,Rask,Ryan,Hanifin

Staal, Lindholm, Aho, Teravainen, Faulk

Kick a guy when he is down :o I still haven't finished wiping the egg off my face  lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Now that my Sunday’s are free from NFL, time to talk hockey.  

It will be interesting to see if the PK is solid again this season, and if the PP is any better. Goal or no goal, from what I saw there was better puck movement and setting up on the PP, but a long way from impressive. Granted, I haven’t seen all preseason games. If I am missing anything glaring that gives us hope on the PP, I’m all ears ?? (or eyes ?)

It surprised me when during the first EDM game, their announcers said Steve Smith is running the PP this year. Smith played for the Oil, so I'd think those guys know each other pretty well. Maybe Roddy's getting a coaching clinic?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

This is the year Hanifin has to make me proud or I'm going to have to get some crow pie out.

Same for me, re Victor Rask.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

From todays practice:

Williams,Skinner,Rask,Ryan,Hanifin

Staal, Lindholm, Aho, Teravainen, Faulk

I'm telling ya, those two groups?

dynomite.jpg

Quite frankly, not sure why there's that much angst about either of special teams at this time PRIOR to season because unless I'm sadly mistaken, only the final preseason game had anywhere near the full complement of our opening game players? With that percentage of youth in those situations, is it any wonder that the polish was not there? The single game that I could watch of the away games, that 1st one against Oilers, both the PP and the PK were outstanding. I did get to 1st here against Tampa, and things looked horrid, I admit. Could not make this latest against Washington, however I will withhold my opinion until I see how our full NHL team functions? 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm telling ya, those two groups?

dynomite.jpg

We'll see how it goes but I didn't like Ryan on the point.  

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

I didn't either but who do you put on the point on that unit that shoots right?

I'm not that smart.  I just nitpick stuff that looks bad.

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I didn't either but who do you put on the point on that unit that shoots right?

Williams shoots right. But somehow I want him below the dots :lol:

I think when you look at both units, we're throwing different looks at them. Ryan sees the ice really well and is a great playmaker.  Two really good qualities to have on one of the points on the PP.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It surprised me when during the first EDM game, their announcers said Steve Smith is running the PP this year. Smith played for the Oil, so I'd think those guys know each other pretty well. Maybe Roddy's getting a coaching clinic?

No doubt the PP was on their off-season punch-list things to address. I’ve been burnt too many times playing armchair coach/GM/owner so alas, I should assume nothing. Smart things were done this offseason so I will give them the benefit of the doubt this area was closely studied for improvement.

I was able to see every game that was streamed and one in person.  Overall, I thought the PP was really good when TT was in there, not so much afterward.

The PK started really slow and then just got chugging along like last season.

Just my $.02

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

No doubt the PP was on their off-season punch-list things to address. I’ve been burnt too many times playing armchair coach/GM/owner so alas, I should assume nothing. Smart things were done this offseason so I will give them the benefit of the doubt this area was closely studied for improvement.

What you missed over the off-season here (in addition to the usual nonsense) was some of us wondering whether Roddy could be an early victim this season if the PP was no better than last year. Thus I found the EDM announcers' reference to Smith running it interesting. Williams being back and Cole coming back as an arena ambassador makes it very hard to take Roddy off the bench, methinks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

What you missed over the off-season here (in addition to the usual nonsense) was some of us wondering whether Roddy could be an early victim this season if the PP was no better than last year. Thus I found the EDM announcers' reference to Smith running it interesting. Williams being back and Cole coming back as an arena ambassador makes it very hard to take Roddy off the bench, methinks.

Gracias my friend ??

22 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Wow, let's just fall on our sword here.

Whatever.

And a one and a two...

briscoejug.JPG.dbfeefefa21501ab44be113d1edaa647.JPG

I think I had some of that the last tailgate last year. :D

15 hours ago, hag65 said:

We'll see how it goes but I didn't like Ryan on the point.  

I don't like Ryan on the team, but that's just me.

Coach likes him, so I guess that's all that matters.

Open to be proven wrong but I'll be surprised if he's with the Canes next year. He's going to have to pull off a career season to keep himself here with the prospects that want his job. I'd say maybe that would motivate him to do better but I think he's a fully motivated, give it his all guy whose reaching most of his potential already. 

I don't know. He's been counted out at every level and proved the doubters wrong. 60 points, 45 of them assists, in 55 games and MVP of the Swedish Hockey League. I think it's good to have a guy like that on your team, that a coach can point the young guys to and say, "If you think you've worked hard to get here, go talk to Doc." I could totally see him in a coaching or development role at the AHL level whenever his playing days are over.

I think Ryan has looked pretty solid in the preseason. I put an opinion on him on my new mega post in the blog area for the 1-2 people who might read it, but he has had some nice stretches last year, and it was his first year at the NHL level. 

That said, I agree that our depth is going to be the problem for him here. Still, if he has a nice year, he could parlay that into a job on a less deep team next year.

Saw Doc, Skinny, and Nacho on a line Saturday night.  I don't know where the other 4 Dwarfs were, but that was a small line.

On a serious note, Doc seems like a guy that every team can use, if you don't already have one.  He isn't going to hurt you.  I just see PBP keep throwing Skinner on his wing, and I just wonder if he's a guy that is going to drive Skinner to scoring 30 or more goals.  He's kind of ultra beige to me.

Edited by super_dave_1