• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email address to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

Anyone else getting calls/voicemails from their “personal account rep” with the Carolina Hurricanes? I think there was banter on this forum in the past about it. I suppose if you purchased tix in the past via Ticketmaster you are on their call “list”. I’m sure the call is to commit to purchasing more tix, but was curious if anyone has engaged with these folks directly.

Just now, surfzone365 said:

Anyone else getting calls/voicemails from their “personal account rep” with the Carolina Hurricanes? I think there was banter on this forum in the past about it. I suppose if you purchased tix in the past via Ticketmaster you are on their call “list”. I’m sure the call is to commit to purchasing more tix, but was curious if anyone has engaged with these folks directly.

Yup. About a week after I bought tix for the home opener I got a call. Friendly enough. 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

It came down to Kuok and Necas on my eye test too. Kuok plays a more complete game, and actually seems to create more offensive chances. But here's my question. Kuok is going to Charlotte at some point. So he could be called back up. Am I correct in thinking that the 9 game thing applies to him too? Or is that just in the draft year? 

If it does, then for Necas it pretty much has to be now, whereas Kuok could go down to Charlotte, and be used later for sub 9 games and still not burn that extra year?

I am not the eligibility expert, I could be wrong. But even if that's not an issue Kuok could come back up later, whereas Necas is now or never for this year.

I'm guessing that Kuok is the more overall conservative pick but Necas flashes that high end skill, and I'm guessing that Peters is trying to decided if he wants that 9 game sampler or not.

Yes Kuokkanen’s contract will slide again as long as he doesn’t play 10 games.

the rule is a player’s contract can slide if he is 18 or 19 and doesn’t turn 20 before December 31st of the year the season STARTS and of course hasn’t played a combined 10 games. Now the rule has much more verbiage in it but that is the short version.  Kuokkanen doesn’t turn 20 until may.  So my reasoning was wrong before when talking about necas vs Kuokkanen.

to me this telks me Stempniak’s injury is short term.

bean, roy, and Kuokkanen have the potential to have their contracts slide another year.  Gauthier will not as he will be 20 in October.

Edited by gocanes0506

Thanks gocanes. So I'm assuming we could call Kuok up at some later time during the year at and keep him under 9 games and get that same benefit later. We could with Necas too if he goes to Charlotte, but it sounds like he is not too keen on that, so practically speaking if we want to see a 9 game stretch of Necas it has to be now, whereas we can call Kuok later for any number of games and if we keep it under 9 we still get the contract to slide.

To me this suggests that they are deciding whether to look at Necas or not. If not, then its Kuok. Assuming we want to have a healthy extra forward.

The fact that either Kuok or Necas is likely to find himself on the opening night roster is interesting. I might have thought we'd go NHL experience with that slot which would be PDG, (or Wallmark, but Stemp's a winger so PDG). But it appears that both of those guys have impressed enough to beat out PDG, Walmark, Zykov, and Saarela.

If I was running the show, I would avoid calling anyone up if I could. I wouldn’t call anyone up unless we were down a guy and going on a long road trip.  If we need call ups we could use Necas for a short period to start the Kuokkanen and Roy without losing contract years.  Im not a big fan of the 9 games.  It gives guys just enough time to get comfortable then you kick them back down to preserve organizational control.  We didn’t gain much but a taste of the speed that they will have to become reacquainted with later.

We’ll have Zykov, Saarela, and Gauthier who can come up and not have to clear waivers. If Schilkey keeps playing hot, maybe we alter his contract and give him a shot. Correction from the last post: Saarela was born in 97 not 98 so his contract isn’t sliding.  In fact he is already 20.

of course there is always Wallmark, if we could squeeze him back down.

I guess we can’t go too long without a Duchene mention.  In light of Montreal’s 0-8 preseason, they are pushing hard for him.  That would make our playoff push that much harder.  

I have to admit I've half-wondered whether RF's deal with PDG matched the best offer he got from some other team as an RFA, so Joe couldn't claim RF was overvaluing him--and now RF is putting him out there so Joe will snag him and then they'll get down to brass tacks on Duchene. A sort of sign-and-waive advance consideration. 

But I tend to overthink things!

I'm thinking that PDG didn't take RFs initial offer because he wanted a 1-way deal.  And when no other team was willing to offer him one, he settled for the Canes offer.  If that's the case, I don't blame him for trying, especially after seeing McGinn get a 1-way contract. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake I'm assuming you meant PDG wanted a one way deal, and I'd agree. I don't blame him either. and I'm not necessarily buying that he was sent down because of that negotiation either. The Canes management have thought PDG might have some offensive upside, but some guys look like they have that level of skill but just can't make in happen in the best league in the world. PDG brings some nice things, but seems to be sort of a Zac Dalpe level guy. Promise, but not quite there. Given our depth, both at the NHL level and in prospects, PDGs window is closing fast.

One of the wonderful things about waivers is that it is the ultimate free market. If any of the other 30 NHL teams think you are an NHL player they can have you for free. If none of them bite? Suggests your team was not wrong.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Lake I'm assuming you meant PDG wanted a one way deal, and I'd agree. I don't blame him either. and I'm not necessarily buying that he was sent down because of that negotiation either. The Canes management have thought PDG might have some offensive upside, but some guys look like they have that level of skill but just can't make in happen in the best league in the world. PDG brings some nice things, but seems to be sort of a Zac Dalpe level guy. Promise, but not quite there. Given our depth, both at the NHL level and in prospects, PDGs window is closing fast.

One of the wonderful things about waivers is that it is the ultimate free market. If any of the 31 NHL teams think you are an NHL player they can have you for free. If none of them bite? Suggests your team was not wrong.

Oops, yeah, started to say RF offered a 2-way and then switched to PDG wanted . . . but didn't switch the terms.  Fixed, thanks.  And I also think the team was absolutely right, but I can see why PDG might have pushed for a 1-way given McGinn (who I've got to believe he sees as his peer).   If that's what even happened, I'm just speculating.

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

The alternative theory.

Maybe Kuok just fits better as an NHLer than PDG or other options.

Yeah, I don't see RF or BP compromising on the best roster in order to spite a player as far down the food chain as PDG.

8 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

The alternative theory.

Maybe Kuok just fits better as an NHLer than PDG or other options.

Agreed.   PDG had his chance.  The age of Kuok, Necas, Zykov, Saraala, and Gauthier are upon us with McGinn on his way out.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

The age of Kuok, Necas, Zykov, Saraala, and Gauthier are upon us with McGinn on his way out.

hold on cowboy, McGinn by all accounts just made the team, so technically has to be in before the is on the way out.  There is a math formula if you need proof.  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup. About a week after I bought tix for the home opener I got a call. Friendly enough. 

Funny story about how buying one ticket can carry on:  We went to a Coyotes-Canes game in Phoenix in 2013, I think, and I bought our two tickets either from the Coyotes team site or whatever “official” channel they had (Ticketmaster).  Shortly after that purchase, I noticed I started to get Coyote emails and also would get calls from time-to-time, etc.  This year I got a call from some nice sounding lady saying she was my Coyotes assigned ticket representative for this season and she left a voice mail about all the promotions they were having, special events, info on package options and offered to provide me any assistance.  All this from buying two tickets to one game four years ago!  I’ve been a Canes season ticket holder member for 15 years and I don’t think I’ve ever had that informative a call from a Canes agent ever...and, yes, the Coyotes agent left her message probably at least a week or two this year before I ever heard anything from my Canes rep about this upcoming season...

36 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Funny story about how buying one ticket can carry on:  We went to a Coyotes-Canes game in Phoenix in 2013, I think, and I bought our two tickets either from the Coyotes team site or whatever “official” channel they had (Ticketmaster).  Shortly after that purchase, I noticed I started to get Coyote emails and also would get calls from time-to-time, etc.  This year I got a call from some nice sounding lady saying she was my Coyotes assigned ticket representative for this season and she left a voice mail about all the promotions they were having, special events, info on package options and offered to provide me any assistance.  All this from buying two tickets to one game four years ago!  I’ve been a Canes season ticket holder member for 15 years and I don’t think I’ve ever had that informative a call from a Canes agent ever...and, yes, the Coyotes agent left her message probably at least a week or two this year before I ever heard anything from my Canes rep about this upcoming season...

Very interesting.  I think you see this aggressiveness for teams hurting in attendance (see Carolina and Arizona the last few years). I doubt you see this in Chicago, New York, Detroit, etc.  I look to see our numbers at PNC swell this year though. 

I did e-mail my "personal account rep" back. I told them I'm about 300 miles from PNC, but if they can arrange free and speedy transportation for me I will be there front and center every game.  I'm anxious to see their response. I will add that it was in friendly exchange and I did appreciate them contacting me. 

Edited by surfzone365

1 hour ago, remkin said:

One of the wonderful things about waivers is that it is the ultimate free market. If any of the other 30 NHL teams think you are an NHL player they can have you for free. If none of them bite? Suggests your team was not wrong.

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, although I agree somewhat to your last statement, it's not quite accurate, as, and I'm sure you are aware of this, the claiming team MUST keep the player at the NHL level? To do so, they must have the CAP space, as well as the contract space. That stipulation limits to a degree how many teams have a shot at a player, no?

Kjun,

Technically I guess there are a few teams so up against the cap that they couldn't afford PDG's $725K/year salary (according to cap friendly it's 5 teams). But the larger point is still valid. If the player is a full on legit NHL player, someone should claim them (especially at that salary). Having to keep them on the roster doesn't change that. Even if it's 24 teams that could fit that salary in (and arguably the hardest teams to make would be the cap strapped teams anyways) that is 24 teams who, even with no compensation, could have you. Just have to pay your basically league minimum salary, and put you as their healthy scratch, and no takers. Hard to argue with sending you down.

7 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

6 1/2 years ago for me with Tampa Bay, and I get their emails.

I kind of like it because I can compare what they are doing promotion-wise, to what Don Waddell is doing here.

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm thinking that PDG didn't take RFs initial offer because he wanted a 1-way deal.  And when no other team was willing to offer him one, he settled for the Canes offer.  If that's the case, I don't blame him for trying, especially after seeing McGinn get a 1-way contract. 

11 hours ago, remkin said:

I don't blame him either. and I'm not necessarily buying that he was sent down because of that negotiation either.

The thing is, McGinn signed two days after being qualified (June 28). Being qualified by your team is a big deal; it means they still want you, which McGinn understood.

None of us has any way of knowing PDG was after a one-way deal, which, if you think about it, would be a (1) a pretty big ask given his season (seven points in 36 games and an injury late in the year), and (2) probably not open to negotiation in the first place, from RF's side of the table. By any reasonable standard, he still had a lot to prove before earning a one-way, so the fact that he shopped around for a month despite the team still showing belief in him indicates to me that the team said, "Okay, we've got all these other guys pushing up, but you've wasted a month of our time looking for something better." Then he proves them right, going goose eggs and -1 in three preseason games. 

11 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

hold on cowboy, McGinn by all accounts just made the team, so technically has to be in before the is on the way out.  There is a math formula if you need proof.  :thumbsup:

yes this is his last chance.  I have not been impressed with what I have seen so far outside of preseason.  Hopefully he becomes the gritty 3rd liner we are all hoping for.