The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

My guess is Brown will draw onto the fourth line in the second game of the B2B (Friday), and is getting a look because he's a skilled PK guy, a Chex leader, and a +16, second only to Foegele among Chex forwards. As things get more heated here down the stretch, PK becomes more important. Scoring hasn't been an issue since the waiver of Jooris and Kruger. Could also be somebody got dinged last night and we don't yet know about it. 

This all makes sense but it is trade season. Brown is a positional move. I will be interested to see if he dresses in who he dresses in for.

We've got no intentions of using him unless an injury happens in practice or we'd of pulled someone else up. He's getting an all expenses paid trip to scenic NJ. His plane back from NJ will likely go straight to Charlotte.

Edited by legend-1

19 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

We've got no intentions of using him unless an injury happens in practice or we'd of pulled someone else up. He's getting an all expenses paid trip to scenic NJ. His plane back from NJ will likely go straight to Charlotte.

exactly.  Why not bring up a Saarela, Zykov, or Foegele and let them practice with the guys.  See how one of them does in practice for 2 days and see what they still need to work on while feeling the speed change.  Why waste the opportunity on Brown?  I get that we want to the young guys to play and develop but, you cant tell me that 2 days is going to stunt their growth.  Heck we did it to Necas for 2 weeks and he only got into one game.  Im just a spectator in the end.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

exactly.  Why not bring up a Saarela, Zykov, or Foegele and let them practice with the guys.  See how one of them does in practice for 2 days and see what they still need to work on while feeling the speed change.  Why waste the opportunity on Brown?  I get that we want to the young guys to play and develop but, you cant tell me that 2 days is going to stunt their growth.  Heck we did it to Necas for 2 weeks and he only got into one game.  Im just a spectator in the end.  

I mean RF has gone on the record a few times and even recently saying he doesn't have the belief prospects should be called up to watch. Beyond that I don't think the Canes want to take a key player from the 8th seed Checkers and mess with their playoff race all so that key player can watch an NHL game and take part in a couple of likely light practices because of the travel.

I put this elsewhere but to paraphrase. Fine if Brown is a tinker, and more is coming, but at some point you gotta get the guys to the NHL that have earned it and can actually contribute.

• Like 1

Going back to the solid and safe, 4 lines on the road makes sense. We don’t control the matchups so prevent any lines that another team can exploit.

Just need solid pressure on their goalie.  

Watching NHL Hockey Central today. Interesting discussion that since the Blackhawks probably won't make the playoffs, they are discussing the possibility that both Bowman and Quennville could be fired at season's end and that they have a ton of money spent on a couple players.

Head Coach Bill Peters on what he expects from the on the Trip: “You’re gonna play hard. This is the person who brought you into the world, so you’re gonna play hard for them.”

Peters: “These next three games are all going to be stiff tests ... we’re looking forward to the opportunity.”

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Watching NHL Hockey Central today. Interesting discussion that since the Blackhawks probably won't make the playoffs, they are discussing the possibility that both Bowman and Quennville could be fired at season's end and that they have a ton of money spent on a couple players.

They have eaten at their depth in order to keep the core.  The core has been ridden so hard they are wearing down.  Toews looks like he has lost a step and cost 10.5 million on top of that.  

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I mean RF has gone on the record a few times and even recently saying he doesn't have the belief prospects should be called up to watch. Beyond that I don't think the Canes want to take a key player from the 8th seed Checkers and mess with their playoff race all so that key player can watch an NHL game and take part in a couple of likely light practices because of the travel.

Do you think it has anything to do with the Seattle expansion draft 20-21?  I'm not sure what classifies a player as a rookie as far as games-played are concerned, but weren't first and second year players exempt from the Vegas expansion draft (Slavin, Aho, etc.)?  Maybe GMRF is thinking ahead and making sure that none of our young prospects (Zykov, Foegele, etc.) fall out of the exemption.  I did read a quote that Gary Bettman was keeping the rules the same for the Seattle expansion draft.

Edited by MassCaniac

1 hour ago, MassCaniac said:

Do you think it has anything to do with the Seattle expansion draft 20-21?  I'm not sure what classifies a player as a rookie as far as games-played are concerned, but weren't first and second year players exempt from the Vegas expansion draft (Slavin, Aho, etc.)?  Maybe GMRF is thinking ahead and making sure that none of our young prospects (Zykov, Foegele, etc.) fall out of the exemption.  I did read a quote that Gary Bettman was keeping the rules the same for the Seattle expansion draft.

• All players with no-movement clauses in their current contract must be protected and count toward the team's final total.
  • All pro players with two or fewer years of NHL experience and unsigned draft picks are protected, but don't count toward the team's final total.
  • After that, each team can choose one of two forms of protection: seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender OR eight total skaters (forwards plus defensemen) and one goaltender.
  • All teams must expose at least two forwards and one defenseman with at least 40 games played last season or 70 games the previous two years and remain under contract for next season.
  • The goaltender made available must be under contract for next season or a restricted free agent with a qualifying offer already in place.

Rules for the draft for you.  If we waiting to play any prospect until next year then all of our prospects will be ineligible. you may bring up a valid point that may be preventing prospect call-ups this year.  Still believe one could practice with the team for a couple of days. If we want to minimize the amount of forwards we expose and potentially go 4 forwards and 4 defenders route without exposing anyone of substance then keeping the forward prospects down in Charlotte is the best idea. 

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip 6m6 minutes ago

Peters has TSA line back together at practice today. Lindholm at center with Skinner, Di Giuseppe. Rask with McGinn, Williams. Ryan centers Stempniak, Nordstrom. Brown is extra forward.

Not surprised to going back to our more normal lines. Last night's move by BP to adjust our lines to LAK's strength and to their weakness  was a brilliant move. Any more questions on BP's coaching? Skinner with 2 pts,2 goals, Aho with 3 pts on line three. 10 players on the score sheet. Yes the lines were changed back and TSA was put together but BP's move was gutsy with the original line up.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Any more questions on BP's coaching?

Same question. Can BP take this team to the next level? Until it happens it is a valid question.

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Same question. Can BP take this team to the next level? Until it happens it is a valid question.

Agreed.  Until this team makes the post season under him he has not been successful. 

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

Agreed.  Until this team makes the post season under him het has not been successful.

But I will say that the last 3 games the team seems to have bought into the system. If that is the case and this is what the system should produce BP has gained my appreciation. I'm sure he has been waiting for my acknowledgement :shakeshead: but you get my point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

My question wasn't directly aimed at you but more for the entire board. Thanks for your answer and I do get the concern although I keep going back to what he has had to work with. Our low Cap spending speaks loudly and to have a team in the hunt speaks highly of the coaching and development of the players. Will he take them to the next level? I don't know, but I do know that if we add more talent and spend decently into the Cap space we should go to the next level. It will be interesting to see if BP stays until next year, we add more talent in the off season and we make the playoffs next year would that mean that BP coached better or that we just added better talent?

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

So looking.forward to the next two home games. Playoff Intensity or better Darn Well be. I know I plan to bring it with the horn.

If I had to choose one person most responsible for our resurgence I'd have to give serious consideration to Tom Dundon.  We'll never know for sure, but I just get the feeling that he jump started the franchise, and that we very well might not be in the position we are if he hadn't taken over from PK..

• Like 3

10 hours ago, legend-1 said:

What's this day 5 of being in the playoffs? Morale victories everyday going on right now.

BP said the playoffs started in Montreal after the ASG. That means the Canes won their first series 4-3 (with the Vancouver win) and are up 2-0 in the second going into Jersey tonight. 

Wow, now that was a blast! And with his Mom in attendance too? I'm going to say something that I'm sure several will shake their heads over, but it's what I'm feeling, so I'll let it all hang out.

I'm in a very conflicted mood at present, and I would wager that I'm not alone. On the one hand, I wanted sooo badly for Scott Darling, after his oh so public exposure of the trials he's faced to get to this pinnacle in his career, to be the goalie savior we fans long for that it's truly hurt to see this collapse.

On the other hand, and I know it's not completely on him, but to have this season be totally undermined due to his gut wrenching and untimely lack of saves is completely unacceptable, particularly in the face of an 8 going on 9 year drought of post-season appearance.

There obviously is no EASY solution to this conundrum, or RF would have bailed us out? Presently, I am just waiting, hoping and praying that the powers that be, namely RF with TD's help can navigate thru these troubled waters, and Scott Darling can regain a semblance of competence, either for us or some other team?