The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

23 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

But we have multiple needs, and I don’t think trading Faulk would get us out of our playoff-less streak,

I agree, and don't think Faulk brings either of the assets you mention back (1C or #1 keeper). But I do think that packaging him with others who we market as needing a change of scene might bring those assets back. In the meantime, I'd really like to see him limited to the third pairing, second-unit PP, and chained to the bench for the PK and OT.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, remkin said:

We need to cut the bouncing back and forth and take a good look at this guy. I want to see Foegele up here too.

Can he be called up? He's been suspended in the AHL for one game.

Last night they commented on him suffering an upper body injury on Saturday. I would go back and watch it to see what happened but I deleted the Sa-****-ay game already as it was too painful...

7 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Any idea when this happened? Lingering issue that just hasn't been acted on?

He took a hit near the beginning of the 3rd I believe, didn't return.

Im on the band wagon for massive turnover here.  

My need to explore hockey trades / trade them:

Faulk

Rask

Skinner

Buyout if cant get someone to absorb half the salary

Darling

Kruger

Possible trade candidates:

TVR (his rights)

Move on Candidates:

Ward, Dahlbeck, PDG

Almost half the roster

Give the man a dang letter:

Williams.  I'd seriously consider McGinn (shows we care about the effort and the play we want here)

C:Staal

A: Williams

A: McGinn or Slavin

A: veteran FA / trade that brings leadership

• Like 1

This season makes me very sad. First time in several years that me and Mrs Feeder didn't make the trip up from Charleston for a single game. And before anyone thinks it's a fair weather situation, there is a difference between that and just plain wasting money. We love the canes and love spending money on them. We love hockey and love the experience of live PNC action. Its a huge part of our lives. Im actually a born and raised NCinian and extremely passionate hockey person. Play  and watch it whenever and wherever I can. This season was a complete cluster and we just couldn't justify the funds and time. TD if you are listening, please fix this team.

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

This season makes me very sad. First time in several years that me and Mrs Feeder didn't make the trip up from Charleston for a single game. And before anyone thinks it's a fair weather situation, there is a difference between that and just plain wasting money. We love the canes and love spending money on them. We love hockey and love the experience of live PNC action. Its a huge part of our lives. This season was a complete cluster and we just couldn't justify the funds and time. TD if you are listening, please fix this team.

I hear you.,  I only went to two games, and that is a low number for me as well.  But before I spend another dime on this team, they are going to have to show me they are serious about winning, because I have my doubts.  Of course, I am going to give Dundon some latitude here, since he is fairly new to all of this, but he has to show me in the offseason that he means business.  Bringing back Peters and the rest of the coaching staff, as well as the numerous quitters on the team will nearly guarantee a no show by me next year.  Yeah, I am one guy and a little guy at that, and maybe Dundon doesn't care what I think.  But he is at a crossroads now and big, big changes are needed.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im on the band wagon for massive turnover here.  

My need to explore hockey trades / trade them:

Faulk

Rask

Skinner

I certainly would listen to any potential trades for them although I haven't given up on Skinner just yet. A new GM and coach with new assets/line mates and utilizing Skinner differently may return him to a valued goal scorer. He played D for two years prior to this year, he certainly can do it again.

Buyout if cant get someone to absorb half the salary

Darling

Kruger

Agreed, Of course try waivers first and see if any one bites on Darling. Doubt it but it's worth a shot.

Possible trade candidates:

TVR (his rights)

YES

Move on Candidates:

Ward, Dahlbeck, PDG

I'm a rare fan of Dahlbeck. He has done what we expected out of him. Often played on his off side and held his own. Not a goal scorer but we knew that prior to obtaining him. Of course if there are better options by all means send him packing.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Almost half the roster

Give the man a dang letter:

Williams.  I'd seriously consider McGinn (shows we care about the effort and the play we want here)

C:Staal

A: Williams

A: McGinn or Slavin

A: veteran FA / trade that brings leadership

I'm kind of done with the 'trading for draft picks' thing, but i'd be dangling Darling & Kruger out there and seeing if i can get a 4th for the pair.  Addition by subtraction, nothing more, and it gives the new GM a boatload of money to spend.

I think Dahlbeck has held his own as well and he isn't the first defenseman on this team i'd be looking to ship off, but he's not the last either.  Easily replaceable - i can take him or leave him, really.

I don't think this team can undergo a complete makeover. We need to somehow address our top 6 center, goalie, secondary scoring and probable another veteran defense-man.

If that sounds familiar it is exactly what we needed last off-season. Those who know more than me need to take a hard look at both performance and potential of the players we have. Before you move a Skinner or even a Faulk you have to ask yourself are you better without them. Unless you replace them with equal or better taent the answer is no and I don't see anyone in Charlotte who will come in and make a difference next season.

Now before you misunderstand me I'm not saying that almost everyone on this team shouldn't be considered up for trade. For instance lets say Skinner can bring us a top 6 center. you might do that because that is one of our greatest needs but you will also need to replace Skinner with another offensive threat. Now if you can somehow get a top 6 center and in a separate deal a JVR. Lock and load and pull the trigger. But if you can only get another potential top 6 center and no way to add another scorer except from a Chex I would say you are better off not trading a talent like Skinner.

We are frustrated and we have to do something. This team is begging for someone to do something. I'm just cautioning that you don't throw away four years of a rebuild because your frustrated.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

This season makes me very sad. First time in several years that me and Mrs Feeder didn't make the trip up from Charleston for a single game. And before anyone thinks it's a fair weather situation, there is a difference between that and just plain wasting money. We love the canes and love spending money on them. We love hockey and love the experience of live PNC action. Its a huge part of our lives. Im actually a born and raised NCinian and extremely passionate hockey person. Play  and watch it whenever and wherever I can. This season was a complete cluster and we just couldn't justify the funds and time. TD if you are listening, please fix this team.

WE haven't gone for several years. The product on the ice has been awful. The management should be ashamed for what they have given the fans since 2009. I believe their plan has been to ice the cheapest team that can still attract fans. I really don't believe that getting to the playoffs has been a priority. I compare attending the games to any other entertainment experience. I won't pay to watch a bad movie. I won't go to a lousy restaurant. Why should I give money to an organization that is not committed to it's fans?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm kind of done with the 'trading for draft picks' thing, but i'd be dangling Darling & Kruger out there and seeing if i can get a 4th for the pair.  Addition by subtraction, nothing more, and it gives the new GM a boatload of money to spend.

Did you say "get a 4th"?  Surely thou jest.  If Francis could throw in a 2nd and trade for future considerations, it would be a miracle.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Did you say "get a 4th"?  Surely thou jest.  If Francis could throw in a 2nd and trade for future considerations, it would be a miracle.

This organization has an odd talent for ruining players. This will be very tricky for the new GM. Guys like Kruger and Darling had value before the Hurricanes got hold of them. Skinner is still a talent. What you see now is not what a new team will get. Like Eric Staal, these guys will move on and find their games once again. Which to me points out that selling low on these guys might be a bad idea. The better idea might be to try and lift them out of this malaise through cultural and coaching changes. That is easier said than done of course. 

I think Darling can at least back up here. I think we need to move on from Ward though. Part of me wonders whether Ward’s presence here messed with Darling’s head. Maybe he’s a different guy without having a guy who’s been the number one here for twelve years peering over his shoulder waiting to reclaim the role.  I’d keep Darling rather than selling low and try to find a serviceable starter on the trade market. A guy like Philip Grubauer could be interesting though that’s obviously following the same track that has been ineffective the past two times the team has tried it. 

Go Canes???

25 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

Every painful minute. But I want to understand why the guy was great I’m Chicago but can’t stop a beachball in Raleigh. 

He has been as bad as it gets this year, and not sure I need to understand something I just know.  Don't remember the last time I saw a goalie look so consistently out of control.  The moment he gives up a rebound the flailing begins.  Really hard to watch.