The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

If this year is going to be a flop then there is some gratitude seeing what Charlotte has to offer.  One thing is for sure, you're going to see some bona-fide effort from those guys.  They have their shot on stage, so show us whatcha can do!

I hope Foegele gets a chance similar to Zykov and doesn't get buried on the 4th line.  I'm really curious to see his game.

Edited by LakeLivin

47 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

The spigot from Charlotte is now turned on...Foegele called up

OK. Now we're talking. At least get to see a what a few guys can do. I think they're reading these boards!

Zykov and Foegele are two of our most AHL-accomplished, NHL-ready guys with long term NHL potential, (along with Walmark and McKeown). Getting them some NHL games before the off-season is a good thing, especially if we think any of them can help us next year, which I do.

I'm not sure if these guys give the vets on the team a kick in the rear by playing hungry, but maybe it will break up some of that laissez faire, half-assed mentality we see at times. Entertainment value, if anything, goes up along with their development.

• Like 1

Every move this team has made, I've liked but felt everything was about 30 days too late starting with Kruger/Jooris. I hope it's a new leaf under new management but I really can't tell since BP was originally burying these callups on the 4th line and whose to say who makes the call to shut down injured players?

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Every move this team has made, I've liked but felt everything was about 30 days too late starting with Kruger/Jooris. I hope it's a new leaf under new management but I really can't tell since BP was originally burying these callups on the 4th line and whose to say who makes the call to shut down injured players?

I wonder if he was burying them on the 4th line or if RF mandated it because of the whole not good enough to play more than 6 minutes thing,

53 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I wonder if he was burying them on the 4th line or if RF mandated it because of the whole not good enough to play more than 6 minutes thing,

Normally I'd say we'll never know but I wouldn't be surprised if BP spills the beans this offseason. 

57 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I hope that wasn't the case.  If so, we had an even bigger issue with RF than not being willing to make a hockey trade, imo.  Seems like it's the GMs job to get the players, the coaches job to deploy them in a way to optimize our chances of winning.  I'd be a little surprised if RF infringed on Peters turf like that, but, hey, what do I know?

And so far, all of the call-ups look ready for the NHL.  The only place we've missed Faulk is the big shot at the point of the PP.  Everything else, McKeown has replaced OK. Foegle and especially Zykov do not play scared and look to be ready for the speed and physicality of this level.  IMO, Zykov will not play another AHL game, unless we send him down for the playoffs this year.  That dude is a player.  The one knock on him was supposedly his foot speed, but he looks plenty fast to me.  i wouldn't be surprised if we start next year with Turbo, Aho, and Zykov as one of our lines (top line perhaps?).

I'm glad to see PDG playing better. I don't know if his future is here or elsewhere, but I've been disappointed in his play with the big club after all the glowing reports of his dominance, in particular his stick skills, at the AHL level.

At the game last night I was trying to keep an eye on the fresh meat particularly Zykov since there have been some questions about his +/- maybe indicating an unwillingness to get back on D. If anything I saw the opposite. There was one play I remember the puck getting chipped past him near the blue line and he went hustling back to help the D.

22 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

At the game last night I was trying to keep an eye on the fresh meat particularly Zykov since there have been some questions about his +/- maybe indicating an unwillingness to get back on D. If anything I saw the opposite. There was one play I remember the puck getting chipped past him near the blue line and he went hustling back to help the D.

His first game up this season, i saw some defensive issues.  Haven't seen them since, though.  Mind you that's from my perch on the couch so anything he does off-camera is lost to me.

57 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

His first game up this season, i saw some defensive issues.  Haven't seen them since, though.  Mind you that's from my perch on the couch so anything he does off-camera is lost to me.

Sorry, if it sounded like I meant he didn't have any defensive issues. I just meant that I effort and work on the D side. It may be like Noah's attempt to impersonate Slavin on the 2 on 1 last night, utter failure, but there was effort.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm glad to see PDG playing better. I don't know if his future is here or elsewhere, but I've been disappointed in his play with the big club after all the glowing reports of his dominance, in particular his stick skills, at the AHL level.

I don't think he has the chops for anything than 4th line duties. I'd prefer he be elsewhere next year.

Just now, slapshot02 said:

I don't think he has the chops for anything than 4th line duties. I'd prefer he be elsewhere next year.

We just have too many of these 3rd/4th line tweeners.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hag65 said:

We just have too many of these 3rd/4th line tweeners.

I think some of the Yutes push out some of or existing 3rd/4th line questionable players. 

7 hours ago, ironman87 said:

And so far, all of the call-ups look ready for the NHL.  The only place we've missed Faulk is the big shot at the point of the PP.  Everything else, McKeown has replaced OK. Foegle and especially Zykov do not play scared and look to be ready for the speed and physicality of this level.  IMO, Zykov will not play another AHL game, unless we send him down for the playoffs this year.  That dude is a player.  The one knock on him was supposedly his foot speed, but he looks plenty fast to me.  i wouldn't be surprised if we start next year with Turbo, Aho, and Zykov as one of our lines (top line perhaps?).

Right there with you on this ironman. It will be interesting though, to see how they work in. (In part I'm using your post to jump off into a wider view).  We will need to move guys out if we are to move guys in, including, hopefully some upgraded veteran talent, and even maybe Necas. There are too many bodies.

I think Stempniak and Ryan are clearly gone. But that is not enough to fit in say JVR, Necas, Zykov, PDG, Foegele, and the remaining guys up front. Even with Aho and Lindholm at center, there is not enough space unless we clear out more guys.

If we don't make a trade or get an upgrade at forward, but just roll out the team with upgrades from Charlotte, then firing Francis will seem a bit insipid.

McGinn is on pace for 16-17 goals and brings the heart and the hits. Lindy hits and hopefully is re signed on a reasonable deal with lots of upside is a really good option at 3C. Add in physical Zykov and Foegele and this team starts getting gritty in a good way.

I think PDG can be a perma 4th liner. That kid of guy can eventually make a career of that, whether here or elsewhere. He definitely has the upside to be more, but not sure he can get to it consistently.

I'd move Rask out, but the surgery and his contract? Might start as a vastly overpaid 4th line center?

Good problem to have, I guess, but as these players start to become NHL ready it will be interesting to see how the team unfolds.

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

all day long over Nordstram.

Yep, another clone.  Every team needs one but we have about 30 of them.  Honestly i don't much care who of Rask, Stempniak, Nordstrom, PGD, Kruger, and Ryan go as long as about 4 of them (and maybe even more) go.  One or two of them can fill necessary roles but none of them need to hit the ice in any larger capacity than 4th line and perhaps killing penalties.

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'd take PDG all day long over Nordstram.

I think Nordstrom has a very particular assignment - to be solid on D, finish checks, and buy time in the O-zone when it's time to change lines - and he completes it pretty reliably. I'd be fine with PDG on the other wing of the fourth. Although he and Skinner do seem to have some chemistry, I have to think that if we move forward next year with Aho, Jordan, Lindholm and Rask down the middle, Foegele is probably on Lindholm's other wing.