The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Interesting article...

https://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/top-15-nhl-minor-league-prospects-who-deserve-promotion/

Dated March 14.  Canes had 3 of the 15 minor leaguers who "deserved promotion".  Foegele and Zykov are there, and Nedj.  I guess we'll be wondering what could have been.

Good stuff.  Ned was their #14 (good record but I'm still a bit concerned about that .904 save %).  Zykov was #8 (they noted his PP proficiency as well as suspicions about his 2-way play).  And Foegele came in at the #1 spot. 

Serious question.  Is this some kind of hockey culture thing?  I see the community coming to the rescue of Ronnie, and Ronnie is from that old school culture.

I speak of not putting in the Chex.  Why?

The organization has another bad memory of this kind of thing.  Remember TSTSNBN?  (The Season That Shall Not Be Named?)  Remember how the team was headed for the playoffs, and had quite a few farm team call ups filling in for injured players.  The team was hold its own and only had to win 3 out of the last 5, or just win one crucial game against oven-chicken's team.

Enter the miraculous cure and recovery of the vets.  Exit the call-ups.  Culture is restored!  All is right in hockey.

And the rest is history.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I know Charlotte needs them. I know both guys should have a lot of confidence from their taste of the NHL. But I want them to get more taste before next year. Both of them.

Me too.  Charlotte's "magic number" for clinching is 11 pts (any combination of Chex getting points or Bridgeport leaving points on the table).   Chex have 8 games left, B'port 10.  I don't think the brass will need the Chex to formally clinch before recalling a couple yutes, just get closer.  I'd be shocked if yutes don't play the last 2 with Canes, hopefully the last 3.  We could always send Fleury down to fill in for McKeown if Chex haven't clinched yet (ignores handedness); I believe both he and PDG will be with the Chex for the playoffs.  

Here's a different way to look at the calculus of recalls at this point: it's not just weighing the value of an AHL playoff run for a couple yutes vs. a couple NHL games for them.  It's weighing the value of an AHL playoff run for every prospect on the Chex vs. a couple NHL games for a couple Chex.  Anecdotal, but look at Werenski's great AHL playoff run the season before last, or Foegeles great OHL playoff run last year.  I wonder how much both of those contributed to their success at the next level the following season?   Hard to say, but I wouldn't totally discount it.  

Here's a different question: I wonder if we sent Foegele back down instead of Zykov because Zykov is viewed as more valuable to the Canes at this point, or because Foegele is viewed as more valuable to the Chex?  :letssee:

Edited by LakeLivin

I think with Faulk ready to come back it was automatic to send Mckeown back down., I also think that BP saw enough in all 3 of their stints that they can compete at this level and all three will be fighting for spots next year. Zykov is filling a roster spot with Rask not returning. I'd like all the yutes to make a long playoff run and get the great experience of playoff hockey. That experience can go a long way.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I think with Faulk ready to come back it was automatic to send Mckeown back down., I also think that BP saw enough in all 3 of their stints that they can compete at this level and all three will be fighting for spots next year. Zykov is filling a roster spot with Rask not returning. I'd like all the yutes to make a long playoff run and get the great experience of playoff hockey. That experience can go a long way.

But with Pesce out, don't we still have an open spot on the right side?  I'm  thinking it's more nailing down that last playoff spot for the Chex. 

Lake, I think it is a combination of factors on sending McKeown down. Dahlbeck seemed to handle the offside fine with Slavin the last couple of nights. I imagine someone sat him down and told him to go win an AHL championship, keep up the good work over the summer, and come ready to find an apartment in Raleigh after training camp. Sitting Faulk for the remainder of the season only hurts his value in trades later.

It’s not like it matters to the Canes if losing the energy Foegele brought costs them a game. In a way it could help, though I think we are close to locked into the 11th draft slot barring a lottery miracle (I’m predicting the Rangers name jumps to one of the top 3 slots). But AHL playoffs or no, I hate sending the message to a prospect that you bust your but all year to get a shot, perform very well, then get sent back after 2 games. In the scheme of things, Foegele and McKeown have played all year with the Chex, and may want to be with those teammates for the clinching games. I hope so.

I think the message is, "You earned your way onto the team. Come ready to stay at training camp, but for now go finish what you started in Charlotte. You earned the shot at the championship with them."

I think Zykov would be heading down if we had someone to fill that slot.

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

But with Pesce out, don't we still have an open spot on the right side?  I'm  thinking it's more nailing down that last playoff spot for the Chex. 

Agreed. The Chex situation is more important at this time. We are already being lowered in the ground. We have seen enough from the Yutes to assist in the off season decision making process.

9 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

I think the message is, "You earned your way onto the team. Come ready to stay at training camp, but for now go finish what you started in Charlotte. You earned the shot at the championship with them."

I hope the next GM feels that way.  Francis is still jumping up and down and shaking his fists thinking none of them are good enough to play more than...

Makes ya wonder what they were seeing in camp, Kuok was the last one to be assigned to the AHL (I think) as if he was close and last I saw he was on the 4th line in Charlotte.

It is weird about prospects. Unless they are Aho and just blow the doors off of every level, they are often really up and down before they either become perma-Boychuks or find their NHL game. Not being in Charlotte, I don't know about Kuok. I think he got off to a slow start and had picked it up a bit, but if he's playing on the 4th line, that would suggest otherwise. To my untrained eye he's looked good to very good in multiple lower level venues though and I still have him as one of our better prospects.

I think the "lower levels to AHL and the AHL to NHL" transitions are handled differently even by guys who end up playing well in the NHL. I recall Kuok looking pretty good in camp and pre-season. Not out of place and occasionally making plays when others weren't. Even though the AHL has been described by many as a bigger step up in speed and physicality than people tend to think, it sure seemed that a guy who could look decent in the NHL would dominate the AHL. But then again, it was a few pre-season games mostly.

Personally I can't write off any player who is in his rookie AHL season. If that same guy struggles the next year, it gets a little more troublesome, and each year after that even worse. By that measure, Kuok, Roy, and Gauthier (mainly) all get somewhat of passes for this year, and Foegele's breakout is even more impressive.

One other guy who just has not quite clicked in the NHL, but has very impressive AHL stats is Wallmark. He may never put it together in the NHL, but I still wonder given his 1.21 ppg in the AHL.

37 minutes ago

practicing in Raleigh before departing for D.C. early this afternoon. Justin Faulk (upper body) taking part and should be good to go for tomorrow unless the team makes another recall.

40 minutes agoFaulk back at Canes practice. Paired with Slavin.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:17 PM, realmdrakkar said:

I hope he keeps those pads and mask just to screw with everyone.

This is great news. I've been following Helvig and he seems like the real deal. Then again it's early.

16 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

My take is they want to keep Aho at center and Zykov is a conduit to do that.  He's fit in well on that line.

I agree. We can't know for sure of course but I'm thinking Zeke is done in CLT until the Canes' season ends, and is at least penciled in with TT and Aho for next year.

I missed the goalie pads thing on Helvig, I can't see him having time to order custom pads 2 weeks at the absolute fastest, realistically 4 and break them in before it's even worth it. He likely will only get practice time so he's gotta impress during the time he's breaking in pads which seems detrimental to impressing. Helmet's a toss up.

Long story short yea he prolly will be an ugly duckling goalie for the remainder of the year.

I dunno what else to comment on other then goalie pads at the moment, this season's got my hands up in the air.

Edited by legend-1