The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Looking forward to the newfangled statistics which will identify what we need. I like the old ones where the offense scores,the defense stops opponents offense and reduces shot attempts and the one where the goalies stops pucks. The old math worked pretty well.

Score more let them score less.  Newfangled statsies.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I am SO looking forward to this offseason's version of "what-ifs" and "what-could-be's".  So looking forward to having things explained to me, again.

Dont worry, your educational coloring book and crayons will be in the mail soon

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I am SO looking forward to this offseason's version of "what-ifs" and "what-could-be's".  So looking forward to having things explained to me, again.

s-l640.jpg.d83d74ca650373a5ef9d3e6d3d80b115.jpg

You are welcome

Edited by super_dave_1

What do people think about Hayen Fluery? I've seen a couple of mentions that  he didn't have a great year, but he was a rookie D man after all.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

What do people think about Hayen Fluery? I've seen a couple of mentions that  he didn't have a great year, but he was a rookie D man after all.

:thumbsup2:

Fleury is good. He's sneaky physical and stays at home. He hits guys on a regular basis, and usually emerges with the puck. That's defense. I don't care if he never scores a goal. Same goes for McKeown and Dahlbeck. I would feel infinitely better if we went with those three and TVR, Pesce, and Slavin. I think he acquitted himself very well in his first year.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Fleury is good. He's sneaky physical and stays at home. He hits guys on a regular basis, and usually emerges with the puck. That's defense. I don't care if he never scores a goal. Same goes for McKeown and Dahlbeck. I would feel infinitely better if we went with those three and TVR, Pesce, and Slavin. I think he acquitted himself very well in his first year.

If we want get Bean up, then let Dahlbeck rotate between left and right with McKeown and Bean until someone sticks or spits the bits. The only person on D I am down on is Faulk. Hanifin is a maaayyybee. He has potential if management feels his attitude and work ethic to improve are there, if not let someone else work on him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

If a defenseman plays solid defense, i don't care if he never scores a goal either.  Same thing with goaltenders - if they stop a ****ing puck, i'm fine with them not scoring any goals either.

• Like 5

On 4/1/2018 at 4:16 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

You're making my decision on what sort of result to root for next season MUCH harder than it should be...

Yeah I know.  I'm just sick and tired of these horribly long off seasons.  10 in a row and I am done.

25 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm just sick and tired of these horribly long off seasons.

They're why God created golf. And the beach.

If nothing else, this should be one of this org's more interesting off-seasons. We have three things we haven't had over these past nine off-seasons, embodied in one person: (1) an involved owner, with (2) money, who (3) hates to lose.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

If we want get Bean up, then let Dahlbeck rotate between left and right with McKeown and Bean until someone sticks or spits the bits. The only person on D I am down on is Faulk. Hanifin is a maaayyybee. He has potential if management feels his attitude and work ethic to improve are there, if not let someone else work on him.

I seriously doubt Bean goes straight to the NHL. There is no question of his potential, but the difference between Juniors and NHL defense is huge. I expect him to play a full season in CLT, and when I look at Noah's first year with the big club versus Fleury's, that should be a no-brainer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I seriously doubt Bean goes straight to the NHL. There is no question of his potential, but the difference between Juniors and NHL defense is huge. I expect him to play a full season in CLT, and when I look at Noah's first year with the big club versus Fleury's, that should be a no-brainer. 

Well if your coach has any say, Bean has a legit shot. BP said during last training camp that the only reason he didn’t make the roster was because of a numbers game on the left side.  

It should be interesting to see how our blueline shakes out this offseason.  I expect one of Faulk or Hanifin to be gone, but not both.  I think it’ll depend on who can net us the bigger return.  But with the lack of depth we have in scoring, we don’t need to roll into training camp with Slavin/Hanifin/Fleury/Bean.

• Like 1

I think Salvin and Pesce  are a given to stay and after that it gets a little cloudy on defense. My guess is that Hanifin stays and TVR  making it likely that we shop Faulk and Fluery. I'm not saying we will move either of them. Odds are we will see a change.

In the late part of the season Hanifin has stepped up a bit making it likely he could fill the puck moving, PP presence now held by Faulk.

I think our biggest need of D is a veteran presence to skate top 2 pair.

17 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

But with the lack of depth we have in scoring, we don’t need to roll into training camp with Slavin/Hanifin/Fleury/Bean.

This sentence confuses me a bit - you're singling out the need for scoring depth but you don't want to go into camp with Hanifin and Bean?  Isn't Bean touted as an offensive defenseman?  I would think those two would help address your concern, not contribute to it.

Edited by realmdrakkar

7 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

This sentence confuses me a bit - you're singling out the need for scoring depth but you don't want to go into camp with Hanifin and Bean?  Isn't Bean touted as an offensive defenseman?  I would think those two would help address your concern, not contribute to it.

I am saying that we can only play 3 of them, with one being the odd man out. Seeing as though the LHD is rich, and the forward crop is poor, to me it makes sense to trade one of the four guys.  Slavin isn’t going anywhere.  Fleury probably won’t get us the type of help we need.  Hanifin could net us our larger return because he’s cost controlled with upside.  Bean would be good in a package deal to acquire a top forward.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I am saying that we can only play 3 of them, with one being the odd man out. Seeing as though the LHD is rich, and the forward crop is poor, to me it makes sense to trade one of the four guys.  Slavin isn’t going anywhere.  Fleury probably won’t get us the type of help we need.  Hanifin could net us our larger return because he’s cost controlled with upside.  Bean would be good in a package deal to acquire a top forward.

I hate it, but Boston would trade for Hanifin in a hahtbeat.

Edited by hag65

10 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

They're why God created golf. And the beach.

If nothing else, this should be one of this org's more interesting off-seasons. We have three things we haven't had over these past nine off-seasons, embodied in one person: (1) an involved owner, with (2) money, who (3) hates to lose.

Meh.

I asked about Fleury because I thought he did pretty well for a rookie D man. Yes, he was scratched a bit, but as the rookie it didn't seem that surprising that they did that, some of it was to rest him. But then I heard Forslund talking and he said that Fleury had to improve and that he fell short of expectations. Then I saw a piece on Cardiac Cane dissing him. Now I have little time for Cardiac Cane, but Forslund got me wondering.

I know he gets mostly protected time, but still when he was out there he was -4 (compared with Hanifin's -18, and Faulk's -26), and seemed fairly steady.

I don't worry at all about his no goals, but I do wonder a bit about his 7 assists in 65 games. It pretty close to Dahlbeck's pace, but as a #7 overall pick we will need to see more offense from him at least in terms of playmaking.

Hanifin is starting to show some offensive flare, but his defensive play needs to show an upgrade soon. His career plus/minus is starting to get ugly, and it's also there in the eyeball test with too many bad turnovers, especially in the D zone. He's still young and can clean it up, but that has not borne out for our other offensive D man's career.

Bean. I haven't been able to keep great track of Bean, but I too doubt he's NHL ready at the start of the year, or would bring much in a trade. He's made team Canada two years, which is good, but he did not display much offense either time. His brief stay in our camp last year he was way overmatched and frankly a deer in headlights. Maybe he figured it all out and is a new man in camp, but my guess is that he can use and will need some Charlotte time. On the plus side, he looked very good in rookie camp last year and still has nice upside IMHO.

Anyone watch the Blues-Hawks game last night?  I hate to say it, but I reveled in schadenfreude over this game.  Every time the Canes play the Blues, the Canes not only lose, it tends to put the team in a tailspin for a while.

Last night's game was just like watching the Canes (from a Blues perspective):

• Lose to a hated rival ... check
  • Lose a must have game at a crucial time ... check
  • Lose at home ... check
  • Blow a two goal lead ... check
  • Give up a shorty ... check
  • Formerly good goalie inexplicably is swiss cheese ... check
  • Goalie stares down or chips back at his own D ... check
  • Fans wonder, is it the D or the Goalie? ... check
  • Gaping 5 hole ... check
  • Under 0.900 for game ... check
  • Deflating goals ... check
  • Go into third with a lead, and lose focus ... check
  • Give up dumb penalties ... check
  • Give up game winning goal in last 10 seconds ... check
  • Play for 1 point and get 0 ... check
  • Have players break sticks in frustration ... check
  • ... and finally... screw over your home team fans and leave them completely deflated ... check

The Blues have gone from a sure lock for the playoffs to now needing help and on the edge of missing.  Nice time for a four game losing streak.  I don't know why I am enjoying this so dang much.  I'm sick!  GO AVS!!!!!

Edited by wxray1

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

GO AVS!!!!!

I'm pulling for the Avs too, mainly because of what Landeskog dealt with from Clueless Joe and how he persevered through it. Would love to see them make a deep run.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:06 PM, legend-1 said:

"A lot of guys have improved" not gonna lie I laughed.

That's a BS statement.

It is true! Some have improved as players, and others have improved their chances of moving on.....

• Like 1