The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

2-0-0 against backups

0-1-1 against starters

we need more backup! Calgary bloggers were mentioning getting Lack his first game against us on Thursday.  Hopefully we go 3-0-0 against backups.  Then again Lack will be extra motivated to do well Thursday.  Will still need to see consistent good hockey after 7 years of meh hockey before my tune changes.  

Canes have a great game, doing all the things that "some" have been kvetching about, and now, it's the other teams' goalie.

rzfh1.jpg

• Like 1

To each his own, SD.  The points in the standings are the same but we have posted 9 goals against injury riddled teams with backup goalies and 2 against healthy teams with starters.

Both the Ws we had to hold on to dear life to win.  Being outshot by 30 and having to play Slavin half the game doesn’t push me into a believer or say it was a great game.  Faulk looked like a rookie defender out there last night and the third pairing played 9 minutes, or something like that.

we held on and that is better than last year but Im not ready to get excited about our chances, yet. A win is a win, YAY, but my tune ain’t changing.   

53 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Canes have a great game, doing all the things that "some" have been kvetching about, and now, it's the other teams' goalie.

rzfh1.jpg

I will go on record for stating that I don't care how this team wins as long as they win.  Even if this team were to develop a reputation of checking opposing teams goal tenders in order to shake them I would be all for it.  A win is a win.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

To each his own, SD.  The points in the standings are the same but we have posted 9 goals against injury riddled teams with backup goalies and 2 against healthy teams with starters.

Both the Ws we had to hold on to dear life to win.  Being outshot by 30 and having to play Slavin half the game doesn’t push me into a believer or say it was a great game.  Faulk looked like a rookie defender out there last night and the third pairing played 9 minutes, or something like that.

we held on and that is better than last year but Im not ready to get excited about our chances, yet. A win is a win, YAY, but my tune ain’t changing.   

I have no problem with playing your best defenseman for half the game when he can handle the minutes and is on his game, and Slavin hasn't given any indication the minutes are going to catch up with him.  Still would love to have seen another shift or two for Fleury and Carrick though.  Seems like once each of them had their penalties they were all but taken out of the game.  Agreed on Faulk - i've been happier with him defensively this season and he did have a couple assists, but his defensive game was back to "Vintage Faulk" last night, IMO.  The exchange that led to the penalty and near-injury to RNH was particularly brutal - i'd be skating him until Craig McDonald pukes after that mess.  Ward was a world-beater for a period but came back to Earth.  51 shots against, yes, but backup is a large-enough role for him - there is definitely no goalie controversy.  Necas is going to be good, especially once he reaches puberty.  I have no qualms about Ryan in his role.  Rask continues to be pretty much invisible.  The main times i notice him are when they show him sitting in the bench - i rarely notice him on the ice.  Kruger's solid on the 4th line and Jooris didn't look too bad either.  I didn't miss McGinn at all.  I do think i may have been slightly annoying my wife by saying 'what a Maroon' every time Forslund mentioned his name.

edit - wasn't paying attention to what thread this was in... most of this probably belongs in the game thread...

Edited by realmdrakkar

57 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

FS58... is that you???

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I have no problem with playing your best defenseman for half the game when he can handle the minutes and is on his game, and Slavin hasn't given any indication the minutes are going to catch up with him.

Yup. Teams have been doing it forever. It's why they're called "studs."

So, last night game was not great.  It seemed like Edmonton controlled the puck for 75% of the game.  Even though I felt Edmonton was just throwing shot on goal hoping something would stick, we could've been in better defensive position to control rebounds.  We took advantages of the few transition plays we had, which was encouraging.  A win is a win, but we can't expect to be successful most nights play like that.

43 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I have no problem with playing your best defenseman for half the game when he can handle the minutes and is on his game, and Slavin hasn't given any indication the minutes are going to catch up with him. 

Let's not forget that was a response to the fact that they played McJesus over 26 minutes. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

So, last night game was not great.  It seemed like Edmonton controlled the puck for 75% of the game.  Even though I felt Edmonton was just throwing shot on goal hoping something would stick, we could've been in better defensive position to control rebounds.  We took advantages of the few transition plays we had, which was encouraging.  A win is a win, but we can't expect to be successful most nights play like that.

If you watch Edmonton that is how their games go.  They are usually high scoring affairs since they don't play good D and pressure offensively and basically play balls out.

Believe it or not even though we gave up so many shots we controlled their threats, most were from the outside and McDavid was not allowed to create.  I thought it was about what you have to do to beat them, i.e. take advantage of their poor D and try to stay with them.  They are a very talented group.

Edited by hag65

This was a big win for Cam on a personal level.  Was happier to see him face 50 shots than 20-25 for his confidence. He let in one 'softie' on 50 shots? So what. He was deep in the crease and moving to protect his post for the shot when a lucky pass made it out to the slot and he couldn't get to the top of the crease. He got no help as the EDM player had the slot to himself. Only one game so small sample size but...just might portend solid one/two goaltending this year and also serves notice to Darling (as it should) that he will be pushed which in turn ups his game.  Slavin was was the 1st AND 2nd star and Ward the 3rd imo. Slavin owned the best hockey player in the world last night. Anyone (including me) beating up on Staal for stone hands this morning? Nope. Beauty pass to Lindholm who took the monkey off his back with his goal, and Staal's soft hands on his shorty was a wow goal. Need to see Rask step up, I didn't notice him much.  On to Calgary v Taco...

• Like 1

On the Slavin and minutes thing, meh.  Slavin played 27 1/2 minutes last night.  Yeah, that's a lot, but there are nights when you need your 1D to do some heavy lifting.  It's also not unheard of territory for dmen.  If you look at the league leaders for average TOI, the top 10 average over 26 minutes.  Slavin and Faulk are right there at 25 minutes give or take a second.

Where's Joni Pitkanen and his 30 minutes a game?  These youngsters are soft nowadays.  Now...

bc53f192d0f9fe59296785611a23305915c79d54

The other thing on Slavin's minutes is that we play like once a week, so it's not like game 80 after three back to backs.

Did Peters stay with splitting Slavin/Pesce all game? I'm sure that he really really wants this for some reason, I guess especially on the road where teams can try to take advantage of Faulk/Hanfin, but historically Faulk/Hanifin seemed to handle it fine last year and times this year.  I just keep wondering about the wisdom of forcing that split. Does he think Faulk "has" to be a top pair guy? Faulk just doesn't play good defense when paired with Slavin and does when paired with Hanfin.

Carrick on his off-side and Fleury, clearly did not give the coach a warm fuzzy. Like most of the league, we need RHD, but have LHD. Hopefully, TVR is good to go soon.

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

Did Peters stay with splitting Slavin/Pesce all game?

No, in fact they started the game as a pair and as far as I know were an even-strength pair all night. Thank God. I get why BP wants to split them, but it's one of those things that seems like a good idea--until you see it in action. Faulk is serially slow getting back and I think putting him with Slavin further encourages that. IMO, this experiment is the first thing BP's done that meets the "hair-brained" threshold. The complementary nature of Pesce/Salvin and Faulk/Hanifin is obvious, and I'm hopeful BP's done messing with it.

17 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Hold on though.  The team takes crap shots all night.  I like the shots against but the shots on goal is a very misleading stat.  I'm neutral as yo how this team will be as of right now.  No reason to go off the deep end and trade Slavin for Duchene.

Haven't heard anyone suggest that.  Even Avs fans aren't that out of touch.

18 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

No reason to go off the deep end and trade Slavin for Duchene.

I think when you post something like this it either should be sourced or come with a smiley face. Otherwise even if it is only  taking a panic button analogy to the absurd it could easily be mistaken as trying to start a issue that doesn't exist.

Funny thing is on XM Home Ice this afternoon a comment was how Joe was so smart to keep Duchene, his value is now up, so now he should re-sign him so the Canes won't worry about term, THEN go after Slavin with him.

I know we don't get a ton of respect for smarts but we are NOT THAT STUPID.  The dude just manhandled McDavid last night and I heard the term Norris uttered more than once.  Not that he is going to win that but that's the first time I have heard that spoken.   

Later, it was speculated CBJ's are still in negotiations for him.

Edited by hag65

I was for a Duchene <--> Canes D trade this summer.  I reiterated it before last nights game, and I'll reiterate it now.  No panic button involved here; I just think the Canes would be enough of a better team with Duchene that it would make sense in the long term.  Part of my calculus is:

• it would bolster our center strength on 3 of our 4 lines.
  • I'm still not seeing Hanifin as a sure enough #1 to pass on an opportunity (if it even exists)
  • potential issues with Hanifin's next contract 
  • we're not going to be able to keep all of our D yutes anyways. 

Even better than a Hanifin deal would be one structured around Fleury or Bean.   

Caveats:

• needs to be a fair hockey trade, don't reach if Joe is still way out there
  • if a deal were to be done, the rest of the roster doesn't have to be static.  RF would need to make another deal to fill in our current D corps until our yutes show sufficient NHL chops.

Hey, I know RF has said he won't deal one of our top 4 or that Sakic's ask may still be outlandish.  But things change. I'm just saying I'd keep the options open if they do (playing GM from my armchair and recognizing that I only have a sliver of relevant info, but isn't that what we do here?)

I can't argue against anyone disagreeing with my perspective.  I will argue against it being either panicky or absurd.  Now, Slavin for Duchene, that's absurd. :blink:

The whole Duchene thing this time around was started with a hypothetical. IF the Canes started 2-6-2 the fans would be upset. If we started 2-6-2 and couldn't produce offense then that trade would be tempting. No one was predicting that would happen. It was just a discussion. There really was no panic in it, but that IF that happened there might be some panic. I guess it's still theoretically possible if we go 0-4-1 in our next 5, but last night was a strong step in the direction away from that hypothetical, and hopefully that continues. If the Canes keep on the current trajectory and finish the first 10 say 5-3-2 or better, and produce offense in most of those games, the impetus for such a trade will not only not build, but vanish nearly completely IMO.

7 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Carrick went back to Charlotte.  TVR must be close or going to play tomorrow.

I put the outlined general basis for the typical recovery from concussion "protocol" here (near bottom): http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/24025-hockey-101/

But basically the model is 24 hours of no symptoms after each step. TVR participated in a full contact practice yesterday? or the day before, which is the last step. Thus if he is free of symptoms 24 hours later (by today at the latest) he would be cleared to play.

It seems very likely that he will play in Calgary.