The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

3 hours ago, hag65 said:

Funny thing is on XM Home Ice this afternoon a comment was how Joe was so smart to keep Duchene, his value is now up, so now he should re-sign him so the Canes won't worry about term, THEN go after Slavin with him.

Well I guess the BD58 Slavin reference wasn't a one off if others are talking about it. Apology BD58. IMo it would be absurd and of course never happen and in fairness BD never said it would happen. If it did happen I hope RF has a fast car and a planned route out of town:o Oh it will never happen.

Getting back to hockey, and maybe this is repetitive from the GDT, but overall, including camp, I think Fleury has been solid. Real solid. He can throw the body when he wants too also (which is so weird to see) and that's a different twist as he gets more comfortable.  Admittedly, I was expecting something less.  He's taken a pretty good beating over time from Team Canada fans and from what I read, he had some season adjustments to overcome down in Charlotte. 

I think the Canes have done their due diligence here with this player.

• Like 1

The only bad decision I've seen was his play on the Jet's second goal. Understandable, he felt a responsibility for Wheeler since he's just stifled him on the back wall, so he played the shot, screened Darls in doing so, and it cost us. Just a rookie overcompensation, a mistake he won't make again.

The way he laughed off Lucic's cheap shot last night was awesome.

• Like 1

Fluery will make some rookie mistakes. It is all part of the transition to the NHL. It looks to me he is right on schedule and having TVR back gives a certain degree of comfort as he should be able to help Fluery continue to improve. Over all he has been good and I also enjoyed his smiling off Lucic's questionable hit.

Agree watching Fleury smile off Lucic was a good moment; sorry Milan, I'm todays NHL, your yesterday's.  Haydens smile looked real, nothing tight about it. Doesn't hurt that he's a big lad at 6'3" 220lbs.

Speaking of that hit and other interference type plays can the refs not enforce two rules at once or will their brains explode from having to think? Interference is pretty bad this year on entering the zone or hell in Lucic's situation not even on the correct side of the rink. 

13 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Speaking of that hit and other interference type plays can the refs not enforce two rules at once or will their brains explode from having to think? Interference is pretty bad this year on entering the zone or hell in Lucic's situation not even on the correct side of the rink. 

13 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I was thinking that also, legend. I mean with 2 refs and 2 lineman on the ice, seems like 1 pair of eyes would have caught that, unless they were all intimidated by that big ape.

I agree. There is always a tendency to fight the most recent issue. So slashing is the big focus. I get that, but arguably interference slows the game down more, and seems to have continued to creep back more and more.

4 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Amen to that. It's like they know they can't hack at the guy on his way by so they're bodying him. So I guess next preseason we can look forward to "targeting" of interference: Touch a guy and head to the sin bin. But slashing will be perfectly okay.

All of which answers your question: Yeah. Their heads will explode, just like the teenage boys' do on Netflix's "Big Mouth" when they find out girls have certain, uh - drives? - too. (If you haven't watched, don't miss it. It's the best new comedy out there, hands down. Just be warned it's not G rated. Not even close.)

Edited by top-shelf-1

I’m over Duchene. He’s certainly not worth arguably one of the 5-10 best defensemen in the league. We could probably use offensive help, but I like the 6 guys we are rolling out on defense right now. Hopefully Bean will be ready next year, and then we will have more flexibility to move D for offense. I’m not sure I’m sold on our D with Dahlbeck or Carrick playing on a permanent basis. Peters barely used Carrick against Edmonton.

• Like 1

Some say Carrick played his off side in Charlotte, but I don't know. But the NHL is harder too. What I've seen of Carrick on his natural side, he's been pretty solid. The main challenge for us is when RHD go down. Kind of stinks that McKeown hasn't proven better.

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

Some say Carrick played his off side in Charlotte, but I don't know. But the NHL is harder too. What I've seen of Carrick on his natural side, he's been pretty solid. The main challenge for us is when LHD go down. Kind of stinks that McKeown hasn't proven better.

Went from almost making the team out of camp last season to being one of the first cuts this season.  Going to go on a limb and say he probably won't need to hire a realtor in Raleigh.

11 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

....their brains will explode from having to think. Lets add a 3rd ref suspended from the jumbotron in a lawn chair to call what gets missed.

11 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I was thinking that also, legend. I mean with 2 refs and 2 lineman on the ice, seems like 1 pair of eyes would have caught that, unless they were all intimidated by that big ape.

Funny you should mention that rc, even if it may have been in jest.  This is from an article in http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/make-hockey-great-again-eight-off-the-wall-ways-to-improve-the-game

REFEREE IN PRESS BOX

There are few things in hockey more aggravating than the referee furthest from the play getting a penalty call wrong. What did he see that the closer official didn’t catch? It’s mind-bending. And while the rulebook must absolutely be called if we want the NHL to be the most exciting game possible, there’s one move we can make that would vastly improve matters: kick one of those zebras up to the press box.

Is it a little Big Brother to have an eye in the sky? Perhaps, but you’d really cut down on the shenanigans away from the puck. If you’ve ever watched a game from the nosebleeds or the press box, you know the view you get is very different than it is from up close. With the on-ice ref concentrating on the play, the ref in the press box could look at the big picture and catch the rats of the game when they’re up to no good long after the puck is gone.

Logistically, the press box ref would simply call down to the timekeeper’s bench when a penalty is spotted, and perhaps the timekeeper gets a whistle to blow to stop the play. It wouldn’t slow the game down, because it’s the same number of refs who can make calls – but their calls would be more accurate. And as an added benefit, it’d take a body off the ice to provide more room for the players.  – Ryan Kennedy, Associate Senior Writer

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

REFEREE IN PRESS BOX

There

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

REFEREE IN PRESS BOX

There are few things in hockey more aggravating than the referee furthest from the play getting a penalty call wrong. What did he see that the closer official didn’t catch? It’s mind-bending. And while the rulebook must absolutely be called if we want the NHL to be the most exciting game possible, there’s one move we can make that would vastly improve matters: kick one of those zebras up to the press box.

For a while there, I thought this might be going to send a ref to the penalty box for 2 minutes when a call is blown.

16 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Went from almost making the team out of camp last season to being one of the first cuts this season.  Going to go on a limb and say he probably won't need to hire a realtor in Raleigh.

McKeown is a big guy who played D on the "wrong" side of Canada in Juniors, when it comes to actually learning how to play D: the Eastern side. My guess is he is still working on the positioning he never had to learn in the goal-crazy OHL. He's only 21, so if he can banish the bad habits D prospects tend to pick up in the O and QMJ, he's got the size and skill to have a future here. 

If not, his future can be summed up in two words: Ryan Murphy.

• Like 1

McKeown may have played on the wrong side of Canada, but he plays on the right side (literally) of the ice. Right now that would seem to be his biggest asset.

If we stay true to natural sides on D, McKeown has no one above him on the next up list. Tyler Ganly, Josh Wesley, Brendan Kitchton are the other righties in Charlotte.

On the left: Carrick, Dahlbeck and eventually Bean.

But he's gone from "basically NHL ready" out of camp last year, to not even preferred over a new guy on his wrong side.

I do agree that it is too early to throw in the towel, but he needs to have a solid year in Charlotte and get some call up time this year IMO.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I do agree that it is too early to throw in the towel, but he needs to have a solid year in Charlotte and get some call up time this year IMO.

At 21, solid time in CLT is all I'd be worried about. I think a strong argument can made that pushing Murphy to play in the NHL before he should have factored into his stunted development (play, not stature!). Every player is different, and BP knows what he wants on the blue line: Western Canada chops. Until he's confident McKeown has made the conversion, I don't expect to see him here, on his right side, wrong side, or upside down.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

I just like the idea of a guy getting some NHL games mixed into his AHL development.

On a team that's not going anywhere, I'm fine with that too. Barring injury, however, I don't think this team, this year, has the luxury of (or any reason for) putting anybody on the roster unless there is very high confidence they will stick.

We picked up Brenden Kichton in July for a reason. He's a journeyman AHL RHD with WHL cred, at - wait for it - Spokane, which he joined the season after BP led them to the Memorial Cup and had moved on to Rockford. Kichton's an Alberta boy from just outside Edmonton, so you can bet BP knows all about him, and probably asked RF to bring him over, specifically to give McKeown time to develop. Kichton was 1g/23a/52PIM last year with the Manitoba Moose, and is a career .5 ppg in the AHL.