The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

On a team that's not going anywhere, I'm fine with that too. Barring injury, however, I don't think this team, this year, has the luxury of (or any reason for) putting anybody on the roster unless there is very high confidence they will stick.

But there will be injuries. That's when those guys get a few games.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

But there will be injuries. That's when those guys get a few games.

Totally. I just think if Kichton had been healthy, he'd have gotten the call over both McKeown and Carrick.

Sounds like the Necas decision could be made on the flight home tonight, very soon anyway. I'm still hoping they choose Charlotte. I think it is a slime chance but just maybe.

I know playing in the Europe league he gets to play  in a "mens" league. But the AHL aren't pushovers and he has some time to adjust to the smaller rink. He is also only a bus ride away if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Sounds like the Necas decision could be made on the flight home tonight, very soon anyway. I'm still hoping they choose Charlotte. I think it is a slime chance but just maybe.

I know playing in the Europe league he gets to play  in a "mens" league. But the AHL aren't pushovers and he has some time to adjust to the smaller rink. He is also only a bus ride away if needed.

Whats the difference in AHL salary and what he'd make in Europe?

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I think his time up with the team has been as much about exposing him to NHL travel and giving him something to work toward as anything, and agree that the possibility of a call-up is probably their closing argument to him in hopes he'll choose to stay here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Whats the difference in AHL salary and what he'd make in Europe?

The [Czech] league has no salary cap, with an average salary of USD 2200 per month, but some of the best players reportedly sign contracts for more than USD 5000 per month, plus most of the teams cover accommodation expenses for their players during the season.

From Wikipedia, the only source I found on the subject. 

He'd make $70,000 in the AHL. None of mom's flechki or chrusciki, though. Tough call.

Necas gets $92.5k from signing bonus either way, so he's going to have pizza money no matter what he does.

I've got to wonder if a taste of the NHL might effect his decision, knowing he could make it back this season from Charlotte, but probably not from Czech.

Edited by LakeLivin

18 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Necas gets $92.5k from signing bonus either way, so he's going to have pizza money no matter what he does.

I've got to wonder if a taste of the NHL might effect his decision, knowing he could make it back this season from Charlotte, but probably not from Czech.

Money's not an issue for this kid. He's gonna be a star. Simple as that. Probably makes more sense for him to go home and play in a very competitive Czech pro league than play for Charlotte. Definitely think he'll be back shortly. Makes me wonder if he's a better fit than Derek Ryan at their respective points in their careers. Ryan has definitely reached his peak at his age and Necas has plenty of room to grow. Shouldn't a team so young be focussed on developing their future talent over Derek Ryan? I say this with all due respect to Ryan. His journey to the league is an inspiration; however, this might be the direction the canes need to take. Plus the canes have more control over Necas when he's in Raleigh than when he's in Europe. Imagine being able to have mentors like Rod Brind'Amour around to help him grow into the NHL game. We are seeing so many 18 and 19 year olds get playing time all over the league so why can't Necas be a part of this group? 

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well, so that decides that!! Neces en route to Czech Republic as I type? Gets us down to 49 contracts at least, any significance?

This was always the safe bet. I think it will work out fine. Necas got a nice long look with the team and at least one real NHL game. Now he has some idea what to shoot for and what he needs to do.

From everything I've read, I think that the AHL is, indeed the closest thing to the NHL. But I just sense that it's not the ideal place for an 18 year old, especially far from home. Very few guys chose that. Lots of reasons, but I get the idea that it is a slog, and still very physical too. My opinion, but I think the AHL should be the landing spot for talented 19 year-olds that don't make the NHL.

But 18 year olds really can go just about anywhere BUT the AHL. I know Necas could have gone AHL, but again, few do. Some of this might be because of the NHL/Canadian Junior agreement that keeps all 18-19 year olds out of the AHL. Thus there are almost none there, and it's even less appealing.

Anyways, I think of Aho, and that path worked pretty well for him. Go back with the early NHL experience and work on your game in your European men's league. Play in World Juniors. Get ready to make a serious run at the team next year. Juniors and the smaller rink would have been a second choice as Kuok did, but personally I feel good about this.

Our next 3 opponents have a combined record of 19-5-2 and include the dreaded first game home after long road trip a back to back and a three games in 4 nights. This will be a very difficult test. They are the #3, #4 and #6 teams in the NHL in points earned per game played.

But what a great thing it could be.

12 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I think it's the right thing with Necas, and he probably learned a lot in his time with the Canes.  A little home cooking will probably be good for him.

I think he made a big mistake by not going to the AHL.

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well, so that decides that!! Neces en route to Czech Republic as I type? Gets us down to 49 contracts at least, any significance?

My first thought as well. Maybe a coincidence, but ...... hmmm

I didn’t see Necas play in the preseason, but he looked overmatched in Edmonton. I think he only played 6 minutes. Return home with lessons learned and come back 10-15 pounds heavier and stronger next year. I think this was the right decision.

Necas has elite speed and skill at speed. If he develops a scoring touch he could be a game changer. I could have sworn I heard Trip or John say the Canes had him #5 on their board.

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Necas has elite speed and skill at speed. If he develops a scoring touch he could be a game changer. I could have sworn I heard Trip or John say the Canes had him #5 on their board.

They did say the scouting staff rarely reveals their rankings but they had Necas ranked 5th.

Team stat update:

25th in goals scored / game 

T-11th in goals allowed / game

10th in shots / game 

8th in shots allowed / game

13th in PP

10th in PK

14th in save percentage

fun fact: Edmonton, Carolina and Montreal are all at the bottom for goals per game but at the top for shots per game.  

29 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Team stat update:

25th in goals scored / game 

T-11th in goals allowed / game

10th in shots / game 

8th in shots allowed / game

13th in PP

10th in PK

14th in save percentage

fun fact: Edmonton, Carolina and Montreal are all at the bottom for goals per game but at the top for shots per game.  

It's early but pretty clear which one of these is not like the others, which one of these just doesn't belong.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

It's early but pretty clear which one of these is not like the others, which one of these just doesn't belong.

To me: early on it says we are a middle of the road team except wear it counts, goal scoring.  If we were middle of the road goal scoring, we could have a couple more points in the standings now.  Of course assuming that translates to more later as well.

We may be a middle of the road team. I don't think we know yet. Six games in is just not a big enough sample size . I will make the case that from my eye test we look like a better team than we have in the past. There was a lot not to like about the Dallas game but the way we fought back was not one of those things. We were surging and we took the play back after being pushed around for almost two periods.

Are we better than last season? I think we are. This season we are 3-2-1, last season we were 1-3-2 and the season before we were 1-4-1 six game in. It is difficult to compare season to season because of the difference in circumstance and teams but it does show we are off to a better start than in the past. We just haven't seen enough to have a real handle on this team. I have seen enough to think this is a a more competitive team than recent seasons.

What is everyone surprised about, we knew the team was either gonna barely make it or barely miss so this current record should be right there with expectations. I expect to make the playoffs, I don't expect to come close to winning the metro or a deep playoff run. Open to it, but not expecting it this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, remkin said:

The very point we were discussing on the Dallas game-day thread. As in past years, we're just not that good of a goal-scoring team ( I know it's still early). GMRF so far has put all his eggs in the defense basket. Plan A seems to be to rely on Staal, TT, Lindy, Rask, and Stemp to take up the slack collectively behind Skinner and, to a lesser degree, Aho and Williams. As I argued on the other thread, I just don't think they're skilled enough goal scorers to do that, individually or collectively. Based on what we see with other playoff teams, we need to have 3-4 guys who routinely score 20+ goals a year. Let's hope Plan B is to go after somebody like Duchene (or perhaps Galchenyuk). To me, the sooner the better.