The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

18 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

The very point we were discussing on the Dallas game-day thread. As in past years, we're just not that good of a goal-scoring team

Scoring has been and thus far remains a problem. It is more than possible that Aho scores 20 again, Staal looks more like the Pens Staal we thought we were getting so I will pencil him in for 20, no reason why Williams can't net 20 (ok maybe age catches him) and wouldn't it be nice to have a 20 game D man in Faulk, We just don't know.  Your point that Skinner is the only true sniper on the team (Aho might be) is accurate, IMO at this point in time.

At what point does Francis need to address the need for more goals. I will guess an evaluation around 20 games and then again at trade deadline. Much will depend on where we are in the standings as to any move. Duchene price is still high. Not sure that is going to happen.

First six games in 14 days. Next six in 12, with a back-to-back in the mix.

Given the upcoming opponents, I think we'll look back on the way this team was able to ease into the schedule and hope it happens like this every year. The Canes have not looked out-and-out bad in any game, really hit their stride in Alberta, and nearly came back on a very good team in their barn. All with minimal scoring from anyone but Skinner.

I expect other guys to get going against TBL, and would not be surprised to see five different goal scorers. It's how this team is built: for balanced scoring. It hasn't happened yet, but it will--and when it does, look out.  

9 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Your point that Skinner is the only true sniper on the team (Aho might be) is accurate, IMO at this point in time.

A guy known as Turbo might disagree.

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

A guy known as Turbo might disagree.

Maybe so but the proof is in the pudding. He could become an elite scorer but he hasn't yet

• Like 1

I'll start believing if the Canes play well tomorrow (Tuesday) after the long road trip.  These games have traditionally been murderous.  I'll be there.

After a couple years of reader only status on the boards, I finally decided I have to throw a few cents in as well. I have two main thoughts to share.

First, while I would love to have more goal scorers on the team I have to always ask what would it cost. Any change we make will involve changing the chemistry/formula for the team. Think of it as a game with each player having stats for firepower, armor, and maneuverability. I think GMRF has a pretty good lock on trying to improve our firepower, but not at the cost of wrecking our armor and maneuverability. The French had one of the most powerful tanks in 1939, but we saw what the Germans did to them with maneuverability and strategy. I think that is BP vision and GMRF is doing what he can to support it. I think if Duchene was view as an increase in firepower without being a liability to our armor then we would have seen a trade for one of our D-men.

Second, the Hagmetrics 2.0 thread made me curious about point percentage. So I calculated it for every eastern conference team above us. Based on current games played we would grab the last wild card slot. I think this is where most of us expected us to be this year, a wild card not a top seed.

Sorry for the Remkin like post, I will try not to do these often.

And "Sup!" works for a greeting Rem, you can put the welcome speech away.:D

Stemper Update

3 hours ago

Lee Stempniak didn't travel with the , and he's not practicing with the team yet, either. Everyone else on the ice today.

Peters said Stempniak skated before practice today but is not close to returning.

Peters after practice AUDIO

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

To me: early on it says we are a middle of the road team except wear it counts, goal scoring.  If we were middle of the road goal scoring, we could have a couple more points in the standings now.  Of course assuming that translates to more later as well.

I'd probably go one further, and say upper third team (except goal scoring pulls us back to the pack). True, we are not top 5 in any category, but outside of goal scoring we are in the top half to 1/3 in ever other category. One would have to lay out the categories for every team, but my guess is a lot of teams tops in one area are well back in others.

The problem is that goal scoring is one of two categories that have been weaknesses, and one of two ultra important categories (the other is goaltending). So to me, those are the key areas to want to see improvement. My calculations suggest that goaltending up to #14 from the bottom, should be good enough. But scoring at #25 just simply is not. In today's NHL you simply have to be able to score (unless maybe you are Ottawa), and that will not cut it.

It is still early, and there are excuses that can be legitimately made: we have played a brutal schedule including some physical, close checking teams and been on the road for 4/6 games. Still, unless we expect Skinner to stay on his 68 goal pace, some other guys best start scoring, and that is the key metric I'll be watching over the season.

Haven't seen anyone talk about Darling lately.  He is posting last seasons Wardo/Taco numbers. I really expected more from him at this point. He cost a tie in Dallas. Forget which goal it was but it was one of those, C'mon man you need to make that save type goal.  Without quality keeping what more needs be said?

darling.JPG

5 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Haven't seen anyone talk about Darling lately.  He is posting last seasons Wardo/Taco numbers. I really expected more from him at this point. He cost a tie in Dallas. Forget which goal it was but it was one of those, C'mon man you need to make that save type goal.  Without quality keeping what more needs be said?

darling.JPG

Sample size because science, math and other jablookie.

Gimme a break.  You don't believe then bet me $ that Neuvirth will maintain a .957 save percentage or greater for the whole season.  Please bet me. 

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Maybe so but the proof is in the pudding. He could become an elite scorer but he hasn't yet

You're right. All he's proved so far is that he's an elite shooter :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Haven't seen anyone talk about Darling lately.

Because there's nothing to say. He got hung out to dry on their fourth goal (which looked offside, and I'm still not sure their second wasn't, too), by our Road Captain, who was standing right at the box to pick him up off the penalty and fell asleep.

IMO, one only needs to look at Darling's fundamentals, positioning and play to see that he's the real deal. Unless you're expecting him to also join rushes, I'm seeing exactly what we signed: a big workhorse who has all the tools, and the career stats to back 'em up.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, remkin said:

One would have to lay out the categories for every team, but my guess is a lot of teams tops in one area are well back in others.

For you Rem but only the division 

Rankings

order GF/G GA/G PP PK SF SA save%

PIT 11 31 2 20 5 20 31

CLM 14 9 29 11 4 7 13

NJ 4 17 12 21 19 25 12

PHI 8 2 8 18 11 4 7

NYI 21 15 31 19 16 22 11

NYR 25 22 10 22 15 12 26

WAS 16 21 7 23 30 17 21

the strongest team is PHI.  Top 11 in everything but PK, 18th.  

Columbus looks strong outside of their PP.  

Washington and the Rangers have some serious weaknesses outside of their PP.  

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Because there's nothing to say. He got hung out to dry on their fourth goal (which looked offside, and I'm still not sure their second wasn't, too), by our Road Captain, who was standing right at the box to pick him up off the penalty and fell asleep.

IMO, one only needs to look at Darling's fundamentals, positioning and play to see that he's the real deal. Unless you're expecting him to also join rushes, I'm seeing exactly what we signed: a big workhorse who has all the tools, and the career stats to back 'em up.   

Only thing that crossed my mind as I am sure it did for others was seeing Bishop' s GAA...  Now I'm not saying we made the wrong move with Darling over Bishop.  But that 1.75 GAA is very impressive....

Edited by bluedevil58

Could care less about Neuvirth although his numbers are far better than Darlings. Bottom line Darling is ranked 17th in the league and 13 of the  keepers ahead of him have faced many more shots than Darlings 127 and started more games showing much better stats. Some are already in the 200’s shots against and many are 175+ . Darling hasn’t come in with a bang. Just a big guy showing at the moment he’s merely an average goalie. 2nd column is shots against. Look at his buddy Crawford’s numbers in Chi. Facing just over 33 shots a game whereas Darling facing just over 24. He’s no workhorse at this point in his career.  Has never had more than 32 starts in one season. 

783DA5AB-3660-4346-ABBC-40A157B15ED2.png

3006D66B-2FED-48A3-A112-FB8EDAFE4BBF.jpeg

Edited by raleighcaniac

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

For you Rem but only the division 

Rankings

order GF/G GA/G PP PK SF SA save%

PIT 11 31 2 20 5 20 31

CLM 14 9 29 11 4 7 13

NJ 4 17 12 21 19 25 12

PHI 8 2 8 18 11 4 7

NYI 21 15 31 19 16 22 11

NYR 25 22 10 22 15 12 26

WAS 16 21 7 23 30 17 21

the strongest team is PHI.  Top 11 in everything but PK, 18th.  

Columbus looks strong outside of their PP.  

Washington and the Rangers have some serious weaknesses outside of their PP.  

Very interesting. Of course when I see a group of rankings I have a huge urge to average them. It forms a sort of power ranking formula that automatically takes out games in hand since every stat is per game or per shot, or an average.

So, this would be the power scores averaging the rankings in those 7 key categories, with lower being better:

1. Philly: 8

2. Columbus: 12

3. Carolina: 13

4. New Jersey: 16

5. Pittsburgh: 17

6. NYR: 19 (18.6)

7. Washington 19 (18.6) tie

7. NY Islanders 19 (18.6) tie

It's really more of fun with numbers, but does loosely correlate with points percentage standings.

It's interesting that we rank #3 and by a margin, given that we just had a western road trip. Tells me that if this team gets to scoring, everything else is there.

26 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Heard a rumor the moderators are buying a Ruth’s Chris gift certificate for whoever gets the 200,000th post. 

20CB0F5E-7AD8-4BEB-80AE-911737D75F27.jpeg

True, but it's a $1 certificate and the winner has to pay $2 for shipping and handling.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

Sorry for the Remkin like post, I will try not to do these often.

And "Sup!" works for a greeting Rem, you can put the welcome speech away.:D

Sup, Dog? Reminds me of the updog joke.

BTW one of best ways to get some bandwidth use is to start a GDT! Great dates still available here: (turns out if you click on the grey bar its a link).

Also, to drop true remkinesque length posts you can do it here:

14 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Could care less about Neuvirth although his numbers are far better than Darlings. Bottom line Darling is ranked 17th in the league and 13 of the  keepers ahead of him have faced many more shots than Darlings 127 and started more games showing much better stats. Some are already in the 200’s shots against and many are 175+ . Darling hasn’t come in with a bang. Just a big guy showing at the moment he’s merely an average goalie. 2nd column is shots against. Look at his buddy Crawford’s numbers in Chi. Facing just over 33 shots a game whereas Darling facing just over 24. He’s no workhorse at this point in his career.  Has never had more than 32 starts in one season. 

783DA5AB-3660-4346-ABBC-40A157B15ED2.png

3006D66B-2FED-48A3-A112-FB8EDAFE4BBF.jpeg

You make the point for me. When a shutout or two can put a guy right back in the mix, the sample size is way too small; five games in is waaaay too early to be drawing conclusions.

19 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I'll start believing if the Canes play well tomorrow (Tuesday) after the long road trip.  These games have traditionally been murderous.  I'll be there.

Canes actually are on a three game winning streak for the first game back after the State Fair trip.

Fri, Oct 28 2016 vs NY Rangers W 3-2
Fri, Oct 30 2015 vs Colorado W 3-2
Sat, Nov 1 2014 vs Arizona W 3-0

Prior to that, however, it had been a standard game for "come and watch some sleepy zombies skate around."

Mon, Oct 28 2013 vs Pittsburgh L 3-1
Tue, Oct 25 2011 vs Ottawa L 3-2 SO
Wed, Oct 27 2010 vs Washington L 3-0
Wed, Oct 28 2009 vs St. Louis L 5-2
Sat, Nov 1 2008 vs Edmonton L 3-1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You make the point for me. When a shutout or two can put a guy right back in the mix, the sample size is way too small; five games in is waaaay too early to be drawing conclusions.

Not drawing conclusions. Pointing out an early trend. 5 games into the season he's average/middle of the pack. Small sample size? Yes. Same for all keepers at this point but who are doing much better. If he was at the top of the list everyone would be crowing. Anyone denying he needs to crank it up? Tonight would be a good time to stand on his head and win one against a team better than us. Hope he does because it will be good for his confidence and the teams. And ticket sales? The numbers don't lie about the lack of local interest with declining sales year over year. Last in the league two years running. Maybe a hatrick in the works?

Personal attacks violate board rules. Please try to control that urge.

Part II: If you feel that a post violates board rules please report that post in PM or with "report post" (upper right corner) rather than openly calling out mods or attacking back.