The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

I've stayed out of the pulled goalie thing.  But I want to say this.  Surprised me!

I got distracted by my phone and took a look at it while they were setting up for a face off.  I hear the crowd get restless, look up, and I see the puck go through Noah's legs and into the net.  I was perplexed for a second!  Thought it was an own goal, and then I realized BP did an early pull.

That is all.  On to the next game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Time for the team to respond to the fans.  Right here on this board, we've had a bunch of new people contribute, and some have come back from the dead.  Meanwhile, our regulars are having little brotherly love tiffs.  The fans are ready.  Is the damn team ready to make a move?

We keep hoping that players like Rask, TT, Lindy, Staal, and whoever else is the third-liner of the week will have a break-out year and score 25-30 goals. It's time to realize that's just not going to happen. These players are not natural goal scorers and they never will be natural goal scorers. At least a couple of them can be part of a good playmaking supporting cast, but they are not going to become something they're not. Yes, the team is improved over last year. But with only one natural goal scorer, we're never gonna be a consistent playoff team, unless you think the laws of hockey don't apply in Carolina. What's the point of keeping Faulk or Hanifin if we're gonna continue to languish near last in the league in goal scoring? It's time for GMRF to make the move.

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

We keep hoping that players like Rask, TT, Lindy, Staal, and whoever else is the third-liner of the week will have a break-out year and score 25-30 goals. It's time to realize that's just not going to happen. These players are not natural goal scorers and they never will be natural goal scorers. At least a couple of them can be part of a good playmaking supporting cast, but they are not going to become something they're not. Yes, the team is improved over last year. But with only one natural goal scorer, we're never gonna be a consistent playoff team, unless you think the laws of hockey don't apply in Carolina. What's the point of keeping Faulk or Hanifin if we're gonna continue to languish near last in the league in goal scoring? It's time for GMRF to make the move.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

I don't know man, I'll wait at least 5 more games before deciding anything about anyone.  However, it is a bummer and concerning that Aho, Rask, Lindholm are not scoring.  especially Aho.  was hoping he'd break out big this year and not slump. Maybe it's about to happen.  With Rasks' up and down year last season I thought he'd work his butt off in the off season and come back strong and consistent.  Wrong.  Same with Lindy.  I mean a big night tonight and tomorrow changes everything.  If those guys still have nothing to show for by the end of Sunday than  a move or a benching is needed.  10 game scoring slumps by your "first line" are not just slumps. 

Premature for us to start tearing our guys apart. They have played some exciting hockey. We could of been better but we have seen worse. If the low scoring trend continues something will need to be addressed. For now I'm going to enjoy the hockey and hopefully watch this team come together.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Options so far:

Shipachyov- LV told his agent he could look for a trade

Duchene

Galchenyuk?

Wallmark

I stated it during the off season and  still feel that trading for  Galchenyuk is not without risk but worth the chance. He has down sides but a change in the Montreal scene might be what he needs to get back on track. He was pummeled last season/the off season by his coach and the tough Montreal media much like Duschene. Galchenyuk might fit here. He certainly should be  less costly regarding trade required.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Or fix the power play and score goals and then pulling the goalie is a moot point.

Yeah, the possession is often great and prolonged, but we're all Swedish, no Finnish. Including the Finnish guys.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Top, I'm not going to pretend to know how you meant your arguments to come across.  But look back at your actual statements; surely you can see how others might not get any indication of an IMO on your part, given how you worded your posts?  Not trying to pile on here, just pointing out that it's possible that you may be coming across differently in print than the way you intend.

I thought the whole point of these boards was posting opinions, and that the fact that whatever any of us writes is infused with opinion was a given. Posting stats is fine, but the one thing huge samples of stats cannot factor in is the human element of the game. My opinions are based on 50 years of watching and playing this game, and understanding nuances like how teams build character. And it ain't by short circuiting a late-game surge by advertising, "OUR NET IS WIDE OPEN" to some of the most elite players in the game today.

As for the below...

As for my other point ending discussion, yes. Yes it does.

that was just sarchasm you couldn't find a way across.

Edited by top-shelf-1

5 hours ago, caniac6 said:

They must have read my post about the lack of secondary scoring.

And maybe mine about about "all Swedish no Finnish"? :lol: Rask, Lindy, Nordstrom, TT, Aho all with points.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

We’re had 4, 2-1 games and we are 1-2-1 in those games.  If you count the Tampa game (which was basically 2-1) we are 1-3-1 in 2-1 games. And we are 1-4-1 in one goal games (again counting Tampa game)

1 6 goal game

1 5

1 4

1 3

1 2

4 1 goal games

we are competitive having many 1 goal games and one that went to shootout (which I didn’t count in these figures, it’s not a true one goal game).  Still aren’t winning the close ones.  

.500 October hockey is a nice change but looking at last season the teams that even got the wildcard they are wayyyyyyyyyy over .500.  Can't keep gaining/losing ground every other day, it's time for a win streak that we don't turn around and squander. Winning/Losing every other day could turn into a deceiving slow hole they dig without noticing their digging it at first.

Also can't keep squandering impressive goalie outings but I might be bias.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

No question that October at best has been OK to date. It kept us in the race. If we win tomorrow though I'd think of October as a success.

Losing last night, while seemingly inevitable with dead legs, did hurt.

OK at the risk of being misinterpreted, it is too early to project or predict with any accuracy. The fact is this:

We entered the game yesterday in a playoff spot based on point percentage. The loss moved us to #17, just out. A win would have put us at #11 solidly in. A win tomorrow will put us around #14, a loss around #23. That's how wide swings can be this early.

I think a win tomorrow will be key in evaluating October. I think last night's game was useless in trying to find team negatives, but Ward's decent goaltending, and only losing by one with dead legs, may be a relative positive, though not everyone will be on board with that. I would add that not all back to backs are created equal. Sometimes the team can still find it's legs. Not so last night.

But a win tomorrow leaves us 5-4-1 having faced a pretty daunting schedule, and likely in a playoff slot in the standings. Given the schedule that gave us an opening night vs a team that had played and rested, and then 2 games in 9 days, and a west coast road trip, and a back to back, 3 in 4 vs a rested hot team, and the combined record of the 10 teams? Not bad. A loss though moves us to 4-5-1 and October is a near miss rather than a slight win.

Time will tell. I'm not projecting, or predicting what will happen, but November's schedule is much more favorable. Out of 13 games only three: Columbus on the road twice, and rested Chicago B2B after Columbus on the road, look to be serious challenges, though there is one more back to back vs. rested vs. the Islanders, it is after Buffalo and the Islanders are not as good as St Louis or Chicago.

The old line about being in it by Thanksgiving is probably going to be key. And a win tomorrow would help.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

No question that October at best has been OK to date. It kept us in the race. If we win tomorrow though I'd think of October as a success.

Losing last night, while seemingly inevitable with dead legs, did hurt.

I get the dead legs.  Team is going to have to learn how to deal with it.  They can't lose every b2b.

I don't have STATS, but in the last few years I seemed to have been amazed on many nights that the Canes played after rest against a team that played the night before.  The first period always seemed to give some advantage to the Canes, but it seemed difficult to take advantage in the third, like the Blues just did.  Then again, maybe it was because the team was just a bad third period team.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I think last night's game was useless in trying to find team negatives, but Ward's decent goaltending, and only losing by one with dead legs, may be a relative positive, though not everyone will be on board with that.

I'm totally on board with it.  My frustration is just the (lack of) power play.  The blasted power play.  The Achilles heel power play.  The guys were solid enough and competed for 48 minutes until that blasted power play and then blammo, wheel comes off the camper, train runs off the tracks, puppy craps the living room rug, Hurricanes turn into a bunch of rec leaguers who have never seen each other before, much less skated together, and all the momentum that should have been given to them thanks to the only freaking penalty in the game turns into the boost St. Louis needed to snag 2 points in regulation.  Wouldn't even bother me if the guys had looked good during the power play but just couldn't finish it off... but they were utterly lost out there.  More icings than shots in that power play, for crying out loud.  Our goaltender who before last night had forwarded the puck during a power play maybe twice in his entire career was suddenly the team's best puck-mover while the power play units skated around in circles chasing butterflies or something.  I have no answers - i'm a punter on a message board.  But at some point someone involved with the team needs to find some answers.  Sure, the power play has looked good in a couple games, but having a power play that looks good for 2 games out of 9 and looks like donkey dung the rest is the kind of thing that can put a damper on even the most-improved team.

• Like 1

Yes it was a bad PP. Only one in the whole game.

As to the dead legs, and B2Bs vs, rested, they don't all seem to be the same. The late night and type of travel. Maybe the style of that full out game they played to get 6-3, I don't know, but sometimes even with B2B vs.rested, the legs are more there than others. It happens to every team. We do have to find a way to win the back half of back to backs because we have a bunch of them, but I think we will win some. Then we did play a pretty good and hot team that was rested too.

Watching this team night in and night out for years now, there just are games like this one where the team is uniformly tired. NHL hockey is so fine tuned and fast that being off just a little throws everything off. According to NHL coaches every team has 8-10 of these a year and they are hard to win. 

Still, a couple of key clears early in those pinned in cycles (McGinn failed early in that last one to get it out, then they cycled us down) or that post going in and we still get one or two points out of this one.

Any word on TT? The way he just laid there with an upper body injury seemed pretty bad. 

Gotta think Kuok gets a shot. 

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm totally on board with it.  My frustration is just the (lack of) power play.  The blasted power play.  The Achilles heel power play.  

A PP goal can rejuvenate a team. I'm having a hard time understanding the lack of chemistry on our PP. Maybe Peters is as well. Some of our losses could of been wins with an effective PP. I hope they figure it out.

Just now, slapshot02 said:

That's amazing. A prolonged injury would of been a downer.

I think I will wait and see but yes it would be so much better than what it looked like it could of been. I sure didn't think he would be skating tomorrow

17 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm totally on board with it.  My frustration is just the (lack of) power play.  The blasted power play.  The Achilles heel power play.  The guys were solid enough and competed for 48 minutes until that blasted power play and then blammo, wheel comes off the camper, train runs off the tracks, puppy craps the living room rug, Hurricanes turn into a bunch of rec leaguers who have never seen each other before, much less skated together, and all the momentum that should have been given to them thanks to the only freaking penalty in the game turns into the boost St. Louis needed to snag 2 points in regulation.  Wouldn't even bother me if the guys had looked good during the power play but just couldn't finish it off... but they were utterly lost out there.  More icings than shots in that power play, for crying out loud.  Our goaltender who before last night had forwarded the puck during a power play maybe twice in his entire career was suddenly the team's best puck-mover while the power play units skated around in circles chasing butterflies or something.  I have no answers - i'm a punter on a message board.  But at some point someone involved with the team needs to find some answers.  Sure, the power play has looked good in a couple games, but having a power play that looks good for 2 games out of 9 and looks like donkey dung the rest is the kind of thing that can put a damper on even the most-improved team.

Im certainly no expert here, however from my comfy chair. The problem is the same on the P.P. as with 5 on 5 against a heavy playing team, we cant get the puck in position to score it. No doubt we out skate and for the most part out compete most teams. But, no rebounds, no net presence and seldom ever a greasy swarm the net minder goals... Is it the system we play? or is it we just dont have the skills to set the puck up to score it most nights....agree they look totally lost on the P.P.