Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Is it the system we play? or is it we just dont have the skills to set the puck up to score it most nights

 

I wonder as well. Peters keeps preaching you have to go to the net. I would think that indicates it isn't the system as he wants it played but perhaps some of the skill in certain positions don't quite work. I'm really not sure but from my comfy chair I'm watching with great interest for an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

That is great news. Maybe a bruised rib? Sure looked like an arm/wrist thing to me, initially.

 

We should know more after he skates this morning. I'm hoping he can go but if not hoping the injury won't be bad enough to keep him out of action for long. It sure is more promising now that how it looked when it happened.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the people I work with just bought a used car. Turns out it belonged to Andrej Nestrasil, who sold it right before heading to the KHL. Left a self help book and an NHL security reference card in there. Nice car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, remkin said:

One of the people I work with just bought a used car. Turns out it belonged to Andrej Nestrasil, who sold it right before heading to the KHL. Left a self help book and an NHL security reference card in there. Nice car.

 

 

Cmon reference card still work.  The friend will be sitting at the gate like Han going to Endor. The security guy tell his boss “its an older code but it still checks out.”  Rem’s in back going “I shouldn’t have come im compromising the mission.” 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to give it to 20.  But if we have a .500 record or worse at the 20 game make then a major shake up woukd be needed be it at the player or even coaching level.  Starting to really lose patience after last night.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have to give it 20 games. The eye test says that this is at the very least a more exciting team than recent previous seasons The reality after 10 games is that we are at best marginally better than last season but vastly better than when Francis/Peters started the rebuild.

after 10 games

2014/15  2-6-2   4pts
2015/16  4-6-0   8pts
2016/17  3-4-3   9pts
2017/18  4-4-2   10pts

 

Is this good enough, I don't know. Last season we lost the playoffs by 7points. So if we pick up a point every ten games over last season we should be in. Now that I have gotten that illusionary justification out of the way I can say, we are better but not good enough. 20 games in you better evaluate and change something if you need to.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we wait 10 more here is who we have until our evaluations:

2nd @Col

4th @ Phx

7th FL

10 @ Clm

11 Chi

13 Dal

16 @ NYI

18 @ Buf

19 NYI

22 NYR

 

Phoenix, Florida, Buffalo, and Rangers are the ones below us in the rankings.  2, 3 games in 4 days sets over the next 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If we wait 10 more here is who we have until our evaluations:

2nd @Col

4th @ Phx

7th FL

10 @ Clm

11 Chi

13 Dal

16 @ NYI

18 @ Buf

19 NYI

22 NYR

 

Phoenix, Florida, Buffalo, and Rangers are the ones below us in the rankings.  2, 3 games in 4 days sets over the next 10.

 

I was about to come yelling here about 1/8th of the season being enough, but now I see this sched.  Yeah.  How about 14 games?  I think we'll know much more.  At game 20, we'll probably know if the team even has a wiff of a chance in the playoffs.  That's the old US Thanksgiving rule.  (Not to be confused with the old 25% rule.)

 

BTW, thanks gocanes for reminding us with this little summary and posting it for us.  However, I was perplexed by "Clm".  All I could think of was "Clemson".  I had to look it up to see it was CBJ.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

  However, I was perplexed by "Clm".  All I could think of was "Clemson".  I had to look it up to see it was CBJ.  :)

 

Tomato, tomoto!  I probably should use cbj though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, remkin said:

One of the people I work with just bought a used car. Turns out it belonged to Andrej Nestrasil, who sold it right before heading to the KHL. Left a self help book and an NHL security reference card in there. Nice car.

Pretty cool but it's evident the self help book didn't work out.:P What type of car?

Edited by slapshot02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OBXer said:

2014/15  2-6-2   4pts

2015/16  4-6-0   8pts
2016/17  3-4-3   9pts
2017/18  4-4-2   10pts

So, we're two points better than where we were 2 years ago with a roster that's got to be at least 50% different. I really thought this was the season to shed the bad taste of the previous 8 but not so. By any definition this is a slow start; 10 games 10 points. Canes couldn't beat an Anaheim team finishing off a 4 game road trip and a back to back game to boot. Perennial Team Canada player Ryan Getzlaf gets his chops busted and doesn't return making our rested legs case even stronger but we couldn't win. 

 

RF/BP have the team they wanted yet this is trending toward another year of missed opportunity. Can it be turned around? At this point yes but if the next 10 games yield only another 10-13 points then they're done like a dinner. I have been a big supporter of BP but at this point he has the players he wants and the only injury of note is journeyman Lee Stempniak. The spotlight needs to be shining on BP and why he cannot win close games with the players he wanted. Yes, the players have to score however its legit IMO at this point to question BP's system.

 

For the Canes home games its more like playing at a neutral site rink; minuscule lift from the crowd. I sat in Sect 123 last night and can confirm the entire crowd could have nicely fit into the first 12-15 rows in the lower bowl. They should do the Greensboro illusion trick and curtain off the upper deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

At this point yes but if the next 10 games yield only another 10-13 points then they're done like a dinner.

 

If we get 13 points over the next 10 we'll be in a playoff spot, or a point out at worst.  That won't be done like dinner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

So, we're two points better than where we were 2 years ago with a roster that's got to be at least 50% different. I really thought this was the season to shed the bad taste of the previous 8 but not so. By any definition this is a slow start; 10 games 10 points. Canes couldn't beat an Anaheim team finishing off a 4 game road trip and a back to back game to boot. Perennial Team Canada player Ryan Getzlaf gets his chops busted and doesn't return making our rested legs case even stronger but we couldn't win. 

 

RF/BP have the team they wanted yet this is trending toward another year of missed opportunity. Can it be turned around? At this point yes but if the next 10 games yield only another 10-13 points then they're done like a dinner. I have been a big supporter of BP but at this point he has the players he wants and the only injury of note is journeyman Lee Stempniak. The spotlight needs to be shining on BP and why he cannot win close games with the players he wanted. Yes, the players have to score however its legit IMO at this point to question BP's system.

 

For the Canes home games its more like playing at a neutral site rink; minuscule lift from the crowd. I sat in Sect 123 last night and can confirm the entire crowd could have nicely fit into the first 12-15 rows in the lower bowl. They should do the Greensboro illusion trick and curtain off the upper deck.

raleighcaniac, I feel your angst, but your statement in this "he has the players he wants" is really overly dramatized, isn't it? 1st of all, yes I'll give you that RF went out and pulled in a good goalie(despite a 5 hole onslaught last night), Williams whom I love and our good to great 4th line. But to assert that he got who he wanted ignores what many, including you, have focused upon, 1C? That deficiency still exists, right, so no, BP didn't truthfully get "the players he wants".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

That's the old US Thanksgiving rule.

The only rule that matters. 10 games is ridiculous. Then again, consider the source.

 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is a coach or GM out there who wouldn't want another/better player to improve their team but they can't them for whatever reason. I think it is just PR talk as much as claiming that "I'm happy with our group" (IF every player plays to their expected potential or better).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Pretty cool but it's evident the self help book didn't work out.:P What type of car?

BMW 535i. Not sure what year, but it's a nice car.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very hard to try to project how good a hockey team is unless they either rock or spit the bit. Even then, look at Vegas. 8-1? Are you kidding me? There is simply no way on this green Earth that they should even be a playoff team, let alone 8-1. We all wanted a Vegas-like start. Then the team went and looked so fast and potent in pre-season that expectations rose even more. So the result did not match the expectation let alone the hope. And that leads to anxiety. I feel it too.

 

My take so far is that this team has been slightly above average through a brutal schedule. Last night's loss particularly hurt because they gave up the quick 0-2 deficit coming out a bit flat, then get it back only to give it away again, then lose in the SO, which has been a theme over the years. That game we really needed to put a positive on things. From an emotional point of view that was a big point. Not the one we got, the one we let slip away. I have to say that at least one of those, that last one, seemed a bit soft.
 

I am tired of making excuses, and I'm sure that is shared but my read of this team is a big question mark. We are better than last year, but are we good enough? As frustrating as it is, the truth is that we don't know yet. The high cut line for playoffs at 95 point is 1.16 points per game. We are off that pace. But we are not too far off it, at 1.00 ppg.

 

But the schedule cannot be discounted. As pointed out, we had to open after and 8 day break and no regular games yet to a good team that had played two days before. Then we played one of the best teams in the league (CBJ). The we get three more days off when we don't need it, and go on a 4 game Western Canada and huge travel road trip. Then come back and play the other best team in the league (TB) starting 4 games in 6 nights including a tough B2B vs rested other best team in the league (STL). One day off and an early start vs the Ducks.

 

But the real outlier is the quality of opponents. I'm going to do a separate post on that. But the argument for this team would be that despite not enough early games to get our game down, and a very difficult quality of opponents, we are at NHL .500 and within position to make a run. Will we? I say yes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to just say that while I am still very confident in Scott Darling, I don't think he has played his best. I think he cost us a point last night. I could be wrong, but at least one if not two of those goals were stoppable.

 

He is currently the #35 goalie in the league with his save % of .897.

 

Cam is currently #5 at .941.

 

I am wary of the temptation for Peters to turn this into a goalie competition. We need Darling to be the guy.

 

At this point, I see this as a potential positive though. We got through this very difficult schedule with Darling starting 8/10 games not on his A game and got 10 points. When Darling finds his game we will be that much better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally on the difficulty of the schedule. Not only were the early too few games, the late too many games and the West Coast trip a factor, but the quality of opponents was pretty sick.

 

The current combined record of the teams we played: 62-39-8. The conglomerate gets 1.21 points per game.

 

But more impressive is not that two of them are  9-2-1 (St Louis and TB), but that only 1/10 teams are under NHL .500 (Oilers).

 

Here are the current records of the teams we've played:

 

4-3-2

5-3-2

7-4-1

9-2-1

7-4-0

3-6-1

6-6-0

6-4-1

6-5-1

9-2-1

 

I get that we have to be able to beat those teams, but for the most part we played them tight even in losses. Better goaltending and growing our game and we will win more of those. But the easier teams in November will be the other half of the test. If we are still NHL .500 or worse at Thanksgiving, that will not be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...