The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

Was wondering where he was last night,as even though I looked for him, he's just not showing up.

Also, EK, the infamous one, is putting out the yearly feature on Canes moving to Quebec!! Death, taxes and EK, some things never change?

• Like 1

I like Stempniaks game but the reality for him is he got hurt in pre-season and hasn't played any reg season games. I don't think he's played a game in over a month now including pre season. When he returns he will need some games to get up to speed. I don't believe he will be the panacea to what ails the team (goals). Canes players that are paid to score need to start scoring consistently. At some point Skins will go into a slump as all players will and go 4 or 5+ games without a goal and then what? He has 24 goals in last 29 games which is unbelievable consistency but he is bound to have a dry spell. Was hoping Lindy after getting his second might get it going. Same with Victor, Where are those two? They both get so much ice time. I do believe Aho will find his goal scoring touch and end the season with 15-20 which is still  solid contribution for a second year player in a generally goal starved league. Both Lindy and Rask need to be scoring 20+ now at this point in their careers and given their ice time.

• Like 2

I will be very surprised if we see Stempniak before Christmas, and I'm not convinced we'll see him this season at all. Regardless, I hope we're calling up Zykov. I love what Lucas is doing, but it's not a playmaking center we lack. Its finishers, and through nine games, Valentin is feelin' it: 5 goals on 11 shots for a crazy shooting percentage of 45.5.

Time to see the depth Canes management like to points to as having drafted successfully the last few years. IMO BP gives Lindholm and Rask too much the kid gloves treatment by way of lack of scoring; never calls them out. A seat in the press box for a game wouldn't hurt the team based on goals production to date with one then the other. Yes, they contribute in other ways but for their ice time they have to be judged first on their score sheet contributions.

Part of the idea of sitting a guy in the press box is having someone BETTER to stick in their place.  It isn't kindergarten, and the press box isn't punishment. 

This isn't a case of HWSNBN, who was not putting forth any effort, and was shown the presser.

Rem, unless Darling completely craps the bed he HAS to be the guy. I thought Anaheim’s 3rd goal last night was soft. But as much as I love Cam, we’ve seen what we get from him as a #1 goalie. And I don’t think he’s going to take us to the promised land. So, despite some early frustration, I believe Peters/Francis are going to sink or swim with Darling as the guy. And that’s as it should be.

As an aside, we have 2 OT/SO losses in 10 games which if it keeps up, would put us at 16 for the season. This is not a good sign, but it’s also not entirely on Darling. In 2 shootouts, I think Slavin’s winner is the only score we have posted. We have to improve our 3on 3, and some guys need to step up in the shootout. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Time to see the depth Canes management like to points to as having drafted successfully the last few years. IMO BP gives Lindholm and Rask too much the kid gloves treatment by way of lack of scoring; never calls them out. A seat in the press box for a game wouldn't hurt the team based on goals production to date with one then the other. Yes, they contribute in other ways but for their ice time they have to be judged first on their score sheet contributions.

A night up top would only help Rask but I can't see sitting Lindholm. He's a great playmaker and (albeit suddenly) a defensive stud--plus 2, tops amongst the forward corps. I'd like to see more goals out of him too, but they will come. Rask OTOH, seems unable to find his a** with both hands and a flashlight at the moment.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I will be very surprised if we see Stempniak before Christmas, and I'm not convinced we'll see him this season at all. Regardless, I hope we're calling up Zykov. I love what Lucas is doing, but it's not a playmaking center we lack. Its finishers, and through nine games, Valentin is feelin' it: 5 goals on 11 shots for a crazy shooting percentage of 45.5.

A true North South player who loves going to the net. I like what I saw of him last year before he got injured.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Rask had his best game of the season on Sunday.  That's what I saw.

Agreed.  Goal tending will sort itself out.  I'm having trouble evaluating whether a 1c or offensive 3c is needed.  I think things will get a lot better when Stemp gets back.  Question is:  when will he be back?

7 hours ago, remkin said:

But the schedule cannot be discounted. As pointed out, we had to open after and 8 day break and no regular games yet to a good team that had played two days before. Then we played one of the best teams in the league (CBJ). The we get three more days off when we don't need it, and go on a 4 game Western Canada and huge travel road trip. Then come back and play the other best team in the league (TB) starting 4 games in 6 nights including a tough B2B vs rested other best team in the league (STL). One day off and an early start vs the Ducks.

Insane schedule. Still not happy about the B2B from Toronto and hitting the sack at 3am/ I still say the H with the state fair and schedule games anyway. Having a pro team suffer because of a state fair is insane, Fans just need to leave extra early or opt out of the game. Heck the team is used to small crowds anyway.

BP flunked as a coach last night. Skinner never even saw the ice in OT. Leading scorer sits on the bench watching 3v3 the mini game his skating excels in. What gives?

Edited by raleighcaniac

25 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Rask had his best game of the season on Sunday.  That's what I saw.

I agree that he looked the best he has with Skinner and Williams. But if there's a reversion to how he looked between opening night and yesterday, a night in the rafters might do him some good.

10 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

BP flunked as a coach last night. Skinner never even saw the ice in OT. Leading scorer sits on the bench watching 3v3 the mini game his skating excels in. What gives?

So, you don't know why Skinner didn't play in OT so you just flunk the coach. Yea, makes sense.

5 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Keep your top goal scorer off the ice for the last 5 minutes of the game and 5 minutes of OT. Brilliant. 

Yea, doesn't make much sense does it? Something tells me he had a better reason than you can come up with though.

I know my opinion runs counter to many on here, but I don't see the Canes lack of physicality as the primary reason we're not doing better.  Take the Dallas game; sure they were much more physical than us, but at least 2 (if not 3) goals against resulted directly from Dallas' speed.   

I see our #1 problem as a lack of scoring, and I don't see that being caused by being out muscled.  We're getting lots of shots off but our shooting % is somewhere around 7%.  No one is finishing (except Skinner, of course).  Our next biggest problem is too many breakdowns in defensive positioning which lead to wide open shots from in close, and again, I don't see that as a problem with physicality, rather one of, what, discipline? roles?  lack of experience playing together?  I don't pretend to know . . .

• Like 1

I haven’t provided a reason for why BP kept the second hottest scorer in the league going back to the midpoint of last season off the ice in the last 10 minutes of the game. I call it poor coaching. Skinner has almost a quarter of the teams goal. 

rc, You make it sound like BP totally squandered the chance to win in overtime by leaving Jeff Skinner on the bench.  Seriously, at least grab some context off the shelf on your way to checkout.  The player's on the ice kept possession most of the OT period and manufactured chance after chance to bury  the game.  That's on them not on Peters.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1