The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

My lines:

Aho-Lindholm-Skinner (heavy off zone starts, Lindholm potential 1st line c)

Williams-Staal-Rask (against opp 1st, def zone starts)

Teravainen-Ryan-Nordström (two pm with speed)

Jooris-Kruger-McGinn

20 minutes ago, Pehwall said:

About Duchene, great player but I dont think Duchene is the player type Canes are lacking...

Not sure it's a playing problem. I think it might be a desire and pride motivation. Not sure we are getting it from the bench or not. By the way did Peters call out Cam about stopping a ****** puck ?

test

And, Peters would be better off just listening to Forslund and Tripp when it comes to offside challenges rather than going with the video coaches.  That's a serious suggestion.  They could fire the video guys but I'm sure that the challenge is one of the smallest aspects of their job.  Our announcers are correct almost all of the time, whoever is calling it from the booth almost none of the time.  How can they possibly get it that wrong that often?  There's got to be a systematic reason, I just can't figure out what it is.  Maybe a lack of objectivity? In that they want it to be offsides so badly, that's what they see?  Happens all the time in other aspects of life.  

I am so tired of seeing and hearing Cam Ward in net.   Let’s move on!  He. Is not close to what he use to be.  Put him on waivers and get a young hungry goaltender signed as a back-up.  Darling needs the torch now!  They are blowing this years chance at playoffs already.   Does anyone really think Justin Williams will play next season? NOT.   I could only hope but u better not count on it.  He will retire and all this other great talent won’t hold up. This year has to be about change with results.   Loyalty, froyalty, smoyalty. Throw that out. It’s about a championship.  It’s a business !  

Just a thought...has BP EVER won a challenge?

I found $132 r/t fares on Southwest from Dallas (about a 3 hour drive from here) to Phoenix this weekend to possibly catch the game...but then I figured it wouldn't be fair to screw this team over (with my wonderful 1-10 Canes road record) any worse than they have been doing to themselves already...so I'll watch the game from home tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Just a thought...has BP EVER won a challenge?

I found $132 r/t fares on Southwest from Dallas (about a 3 hour drive from here) to Phoenix this weekend to possibly catch the game...but then I figured it wouldn't be fair to screw this team over (with my wonderful 1-10 Canes road record) any worse than they have been doing to themselves already...so I'll watch the game from home tomorrow.

You can’t think that way, my friend. At some point you’re gonna see win #2 and I think we’ll get the job done at Gila River Arena, which I will say is a cool venue last time I went. It’s worth the visit.??

Also, Arizona is use to being inundated by opposing teams’ fans so it is not a hostile game night experience if you’re rooting for the guys in white.

Edited by surfzone365

1 hour ago, surfzone365 said:

You can’t think that way, my friend. At some point you’re gonna see win #2 and I think we’ll get the job done at Gila River Arena, which I will say is a cool venue last time I went. It’s worth the visit.??

Also, Arizona is use to being inundated by opposing teams’ fans so it is not a hostile game night experience if you’re rooting for the guys in white.

I've been there twice...and both times, the opposing fans outnumbered the Coyotes fans

Welcome AGRAFF. Many here have been disenchanted with Cam for a while. But the fact is the Canes don’t have a young hungry goalie in their system ready to play in the NHL. The crease now belongs to Darling without a doubt, and we should be more concerned that he get his save percentage up to where it needs to be. I didn’t think Cam played terrible last night. I thought he let in one soft goal, but most of the goals were were on breakdowns and often point blank. Cam needs to be a serviceable backup, and he has given us a chance to win 2 out of 3 starts. I suspect this is Cam’s last year in Carolina, and we will see that young hungry backup next year, if not from within the system, through a trade or UFA. 

• Like 1

Coaching: Have liked BP way better than last two coaches, but growing systemic concerns over PP ineffectiveness, failure to coach net front presence on offense, uneven team motivation, not solving repeated defensive lapses, refusal to play Lindholm at center, and, most recently, choice of captains and questionable in-game decisions (pulling Darling too soon, benching Skinner, coach's challenge). Don't see how he stays if we miss the playoffs this year.

Talent: Compared to other teams, our forwards just aren't that good. Huge weakness at C. Even worse, we have only one natural goal scorer (Skinner) and one who might have that upside, but is in a funk right now (Aho). TT, Lindy, Rask, Staal, and Stempniak, at best, are supporting cast who will score every now and then (even a broken clock is right twice a day), but none of them have demonstrated an potential upside of consistent 20+ goal seasons. As I posted earlier, if we think we can be a consistent playoff team with only one or two 20+ goal scorers every year, then we must believe that the laws of hockey don't apply in North Carolina.       

Edited by spyglass88

OBX, you summed up my feelings. Going on 5 years as a GM, Francis has yet to make a “hockey trade.” Something is amiss, and has been dating back to Mueller. JR gets a lot of abuse here, much of it deserved, but the trade of Primeau for Brindamour was a key factor in launching 2 trips to the SC finals and one Cup. So is it time for Francis to shake up the roster? Arguably, yes. And I’m not calling for Peters’ job (yet), but we seem to be mired in a pattern that has persisted during his tenure that repeats despite turnover in the roster. It’s getting harder to keep the faith. Check back with me after our upcoming 5 game winning streak.

• Like 2

McKeown to Make NHL Debut

Defenseman Roland McKeown will become the fourth Hurricane this season to play in his first NHL game, as the Canes take on the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday night. In practice on Friday, he paired with Noah Hanifin, who is coincidentally also his roommate for this leg of the Canes' road trip.

10 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

OBX, you summed up my feelings. Going on 5 years as a GM, Francis has yet to make a “hockey trade.” Something is amiss,...

Agree.  And that which is amiss is Mr. PK Jr.   Ever since his best friend JR burned him with HWSNBN (sorry new folks, acronym is a long story, but let's just say this guy is now done with hockey and back in Mother Russia after scorching a few teams here), he won't open the purse.  Poor RF.  He's in a bad position to make a move or trade.

• Like 1

Some good news for tonight: 

Team-leading goal scorer Jeff Skinner is expected to play on the team's top line alongside Jordan Staal and Elias Lindholm.

CANESPR NOTES: The Hurricanes have won six of their last seven meetings with the Coyotes, dating back to Dec. 14, 2013 (6-1-0). Additionally, the Canes have won their last six games against Arizona at Gila River Arena, dating back to Feb. 7, 2009 (6-0-0). … Elias Lindholm has registered six points (2g, 4a), including one game-winning goal, in six games against Arizona.

39 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Some good news for tonight: 

Team-leading goal scorer Jeff Skinner is expected to play on the team's top line alongside Jordan Staal and Elias Lindholm.

CANESPR NOTES: The Hurricanes have won six of their last seven meetings with the Coyotes, dating back to Dec. 14, 2013 (6-1-0). Additionally, the Canes have won their last six games against Arizona at Gila River Arena, dating back to Feb. 7, 2009 (6-0-0). … Elias Lindholm has registered six points (2g, 4a), including one game-winning goal, in six games against Arizona.

And the final will be 7-1 Coyotes. Just the way it goes when we have those pesky expectations.

13 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

Coaching: Have liked BP way better than last two coaches, but growing systemic concerns over PP ineffectiveness, failure to coach net front presence on offense, uneven team motivation, not solving repeated defensive lapses, refusal to play Lindholm at center, and, most recently, choice of captains and questionable in-game decisions (pulling Darling too soon, benching Skinner, coach's challenge). Don't see how he stays if we miss the playoffs this year.

I have to disagree with your assessment of BP's focus, though I agree with your bottom line: If the Canes don't make the dance this year, he's probably the sacrificial lamb. That, however, would be effed up from my POV.

From all the reports we've seen, BP has relentlessly coached net front. As for motivation, it's like a water trough to a horse: you can lead him there, but you can't make him drink. And regarding Lindy, BP's declaration that he would not play C anymore came at the end of last season, yet he's taking face-offs again and can be found in the slot as much as ever.

My point is not to disagree on the assessment of what this team needs to do. But BP can't lace 'em up and do it for them. I would counter that what really needs to happen is that RF shows up in the dressing room and calls out, by name, all those who (1) won't park themselves in the slot (Jordo, Rask, Ryan); (2) won't finish checks (Noah, Faulk), and (3) aren't scoring goals (after which he can recite every name on the team, save Skinner). He needs to do it just that tersely, then turn and walk out. And then BP should say, "Boys, that's a Hall of Famer talking," and turn and walk out, too.

Shorter: RF has to make clear that he and this coach aren't going anywhere, but the guys who aren't doing what they're getting paid millions to do may be--quicker than they think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I have to disagree with your assessment of BP's focus, though I agree with your bottom line: If the Canes don't make the dance this year, he's probably the sacrificial lamb. That, however, would be effed up from my POV.

From all the reports we've seen, BP has relentlessly coached net front. As for motivation, it's like a water trough to a horse: you can lead him there, but you can't make him drink. And regarding Lindy, BP's declaration that he would not play C anymore came at the end of last season, yet he's taking face-offs again and can be found in the slot as much as ever.

My point is not to disagree on the assessment of what this team needs to do. But BP can't lace 'em up and do it for them. I would counter that what really needs to happen is that RF shows up in the dressing room and calls out, by name, all those who (1) won't park themselves in the slot (Jordo, Rask, Ryan); (2) won't finish checks (Noah, Faulk), and (3) aren't scoring goals (after which he can recite every name on the team, save Skinner). He needs to do it just that tersely, then turn and walk out. And then BP should say, "Boys, that's a Hall of Famer talking," and turn and walk out, too.

Shorter: RF has to make clear that he and this coach aren't going anywhere, but the guys who aren't doing what they're getting paid millions to do may be--quicker than they think.

My observation that BP has failed to coach net front presence comes only from what I can see on the ice—no net front presence, except on rare occasions. Not even on the PP. If he is relentlessly coaching it, why is is not happening? I completely agree with you that something needs to happen on the RF/BP side to get these players doing what they're supposed to do—your three RF call outs sum it up nicely. But BP has been talking "accountability" for several seasons now and nothing seems to have changed. There's still no regular net front presence. Whatever the message, it's apparently not getting through and, as far as I can see, there are no real consequences yet. 

• Like 2

Everyone knows the saying *edit* flows downhill. Not sure what BPs level of autonomy is but he (or RF) needs to fire Roddie and bring in his guy before HE is the guy getting bounced by RF who will do that to save his own bacon in a heartbeat; human nature.  The Roddie firing would be local news for 24 hours. 

Team is at a crossroads which at this early point in THIS our season is failure as most were thinking including me we would/could be a 650/700 team. Thing is Canes could go on a 4-5 game win streak starting tonight and all of sudden we’re back in the thick of things feeling good about our team etc. or, we lose to a crap AZ team come home and lose to FL and watch the stuff hit the fan. I took grief for it when I said it but if this team stinks this year and BP gets sacked, Skinner is gone. He’ll play out his final year and sign with a winner. Dangling a C in front of him means nothing if it means being a part of this emerging (yet again) *edit* show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I took grief for it when I said it but if this team stinks this year and BP gets sacked, Skinner is gone. He’ll play out his final year and sign with a winner. Dangling a C in front of him means nothing if it means being a part of this emerging (yet again)*edit* show. 

Revisionist posting, it seems. I don't recall you making any qualification in your prior post about BP getting sacked, only that Skinner would try the FA market regardless of what this team does. Two very different things, so if you felt like you took heat, maybe it's b/c you didn't include those other conditions. 

If this team gets in this year, Skinner is re-signed over the summer and neither of our two completely obligatory captains will be anything more than A's--if they're still on the team.

As for firing Rod, I agree--but it won't happen. At most I expect he gets moved to the front office, but if he's serious about a coaching career, what he really needs is some time as an assistant--on the AHL bus.  

19 hours ago, AGRAFF said:

I am so tired of seeing and hearing Cam Ward in net.   Let’s move on!  He. Is not close to what he use to be.  Put him on waivers and get a young hungry goaltender signed as a back-up.  Darling needs the torch now!  They are blowing this years chance at playoffs already.   Does anyone really think Justin Williams will play next season? NOT.   I could only hope but u better not count on it.  He will retire and all this other great talent won’t hold up. This year has to be about change with results.   Loyalty, froyalty, smoyalty. Throw that out. It’s about a championship.  It’s a business !  

Cam went into Colorados game with a .957 Gaa.  He had a rough one in Colorado as does every goalie which is why teams don't go 82-0.   I'm frustrated too but lets not go blaming Cam Ward for the reason we suck this year.  Darling is sitting at a miserable .897GAA.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Me and Mrs. Storm caught a Coyote game at their barn...er, den, a few years ago.  Crowd was sparse, so we had good seats down low.  Mrs. Storm recognized a Skinner shot was going in and let’s out a huge yell even before the lamp lit in the quiet arena.  It was most amusing when we caught the highlights of the Canes win later on that goal that we could clearly hear Mrs. Storm’s solo yell in the broadcast replay.  That’s probably our favorite road game moment with the Canes.  Like surfzone says, keep at it AWACS, those in person road wins for you have to come sometime! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Me and Mrs. Storm caught a Coyote game at their barn...er, den, a few years ago.  Crowd was sparse, so we had good seats down low.  Mrs. Storm recognized a Skinner shot was going in and let’s out a huge yell even before the lamp lit in the quiet arena.  It was most amusing when we caught the highlights of the Canes win later on that goal that we could clearly hear Mrs. Storm’s solo yell in the broadcast replay.  That’s probably our favorite road game moment with the Canes.  Like surfzone says, keep at it AWACS, those in person road wins for you have to come sometime! 

Yes, if anyone thinks we have attendance woes, Arizona has us beat. I had good interactions with their fans and wish the Yotes the best except against us. It’s good for the sport overall if all teams can fill their barn.

Meh...if Emma wasn't sick with the respiratory virus that seems to be going around these parts, we'd probably have gone...besides, my step-daughter lives in Flagstaff, so it would've been easy convincing my wife to go along...road record be ****ed.