The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Sooooo...where's the Captain announcement?

At the end of the Peters Audio they all got a laugh at that very question. I think the answer was before Saturday!

More from Practice

2 hours ago

Necas, Wallmark, Di Giuseppe and Jooris in gray jerseys today.

Kuokkanen getting work on line with Ryan, Skinner.

NHL rosters are due Tuesday. Peters: "Guys have done a great job making it hard on us. We've got more players than we do spots."

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

More from Practice

we may find out more about the roster today.  BP said he and GMRF should sit down and talk about Necas and Stempniak’s status.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

PDG is on waivers with intent to be sent to Charlotte.

Link?

Elsewhere, Jags signs with the Flames at $1 million. Wild waive Ryan Murphy, and fill his car with packing peanuts.

So ..containing my excitement for this season .... watched a couple of preseason games from the UK and 4 things stood out ...

1. Darn we are really really quick ....

2. Darn we have some serious skating and puck handling skills

3. Darn we are soooo young .....

4. Darn Darling is a Giant

I would give Faulk captaincy - I like defenders as captains and I think he would be great but I suspect it will be Skinner (with Williams as his personal A mentor).... which I think works ... but I like my skill guys to concentrate on just doing their thing .. the best player should not be the captain imho ...... 

But roll on the new season .. I seriously cant wait!

By the way, welcome aboard sipower 1965! Yessir, the team is looking great from this side of the Pond also.

Edited by sipower
  • Like 1

Excerpt from http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/five-things-we-learned-from-the-nhl-pre-season

The Carolina Hurricanes could be the league’s most defensively sound team

Again, let’s note that the pre-season isn’t the ultimate proving ground and there’s still a full 82-game schedule to be played before we can make any proclamations about who was what and where some teams deficiencies lied across the 2017-18 campaign. With that out of the way, though, can we stop and talk about the Carolina Hurricanes for a minute?

Of all teams expected to take a step forward this season, the Hurricanes are the most obvious candidate thanks in large part to the work GM Ron Francis has done to build a young, talented squad that has been supplemented by veteran pieces. But throughout the pre-season, coach Bill Peters had Carolina operating as such a cohesive defensive unit that getting shots against the Hurricanes, let alone scoring, was an incredibly tall task. 

Carolina’s 15 goals against put them into a three-way tie for the sixth-fewest across the exhibition schedule, but the more impressive mark was the shots against per game. The Hurricanes allowed 24.6 shots per game, the fewest of any team by close to one shot per outing. Even against the pre-season’s highest scoring team, the Oilers, the Hurricanes only allowed 21 shots, and that’s against an Edmonton lineup that was basically an opening-night squad, including McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Milan Lucic, Jussi Jokinen, Patrick Maroon and Ryan Strome. Carolina’s 6-2 victory was Edmonton’s only loss of the preseason.

If that’s how Carolina can defend this season, and if Scott Darling puts up a save percentage close to his .925 mark in the pre-season, we could be looking at the league’s most improved team by a long shot.

Edited by LakeLivin

Two down. Two to go.

RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team will assign forwards Lucas Wallmark and Phil Di Giuseppe to the Charlotte Checkers (AHL).

The Hurricanes training camp roster is now at 25 players

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Wallmark was sent down as well.  Bean will eventually be sent to Juniors.  Battle of Kuokkanen and Necas for Stempniak’s short term replacement.

Kuok was skating wing with Ryan and Skinner today.

also

6 hours ago

Necas, Wallmark, Di Giuseppe and Jooris in gray jerseys today.

Not sure that means anything but two of them are now gone

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Kuok was skating wing with Ryan and Skinner today.

also

Not sure that means anything but two of them are now gone

Necas has had his turn with Ryan and Skinner.  Kuokkanen is getting his turn.  Help the decision process with a more apple to apples comparison.  As much as Necas has impressed he hasn’t been overwhelming. With as smart as GMRF has been with long term building, I cannot see us burning a year of controversy on a year of potential.  

The gray shirt thing isnt as a big indicator to me.  We only have 4 lines so someone has to sit out.  I’d be surprised to see Jooris sit out.  I thought he had a better preseason than most of the 4th liners.  But I am not the coach.

Edited by gocanes0506

Necas looked good ... Francis has had an inclination n the past to trust youth and talent, my $ is on him starting. Francis does not have to commit to having him the whole season - the upside is big, if it doesn't work out he ships him for injury recovery ... and darn he skates so well ..

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Kuokkanen is getting his turn.

For sure. They said the young guys are making it difficult to make a final decision. Kuokkanen is getting a look. I think Necas heads home soon too, But until it happens you don;t know for sure. The Gray shirt thing, yeah probable means nothing

This is interesting, Malcolm Subban is on waivers. Could this present a chance to pick up a future #1? I know we'd have to keep him up, but he was drafted in the 1st round by Boston. Also, our old friend Khodobin beat him out?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

This is interesting, Malcolm Subban is on waivers. Could this present a chance to pick up a future #1? I know we'd have to keep him up, but he was drafted in the 1st round by Boston. Also, our old friend Khodobin beat him out?

It is interesting but are we going to do with Cam? Have 3 million ride the pine?  Had not picked up smith and ouellette, he could be a solid pickup with pushing cam down.  Don’t have the organizational room at this point.  

He must be struggling or Boston feels like he needs everyday starts. Probably the latter.

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah. It's already been done.

PackingPeanuts.png

Ah yes, the F-bomb video.  I'd probably drop a few too.  :)

It came down to Kuok and Necas on my eye test too. Kuok plays a more complete game, and actually seems to create more offensive chances. But here's my question. Kuok is going to Charlotte at some point. So he could be called back up. Am I correct in thinking that the 9 game thing applies to him too? Or is that just in the draft year? 

If it does, then for Necas it pretty much has to be now, whereas Kuok could go down to Charlotte, and be used later for sub 9 games and still not burn that extra year?

I am not the eligibility expert, I could be wrong. But even if that's not an issue Kuok could come back up later, whereas Necas is now or never for this year.

I'm guessing that Kuok is the more overall conservative pick but Necas flashes that high end skill, and I'm guessing that Peters is trying to decided if he wants that 9 game sampler or not.