The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

In Season 2017-18 Talk

Interesting article on WRAL.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/time-is-running-out-already/17092441/

Excerpts that caught my attention:

Rask is an average skater, plays with no physicality and is more often than not invisible on the ice these days. I won’t even mention that he’s in the second year of a 6-year contract that pays him $4 million annually. Ryan’s story is great – a journeyman who established himself as a capable NHL player a year ago at age 30 and earned a contract for this season. But neither is playing like a number two center and one of them is filling that role. Neither is playing like a number three center and the OTHER one is filling THAT role.

Bill Peters blew the leadership situation in spectacular fashion. Not only did Justin Williams, maybe the easiest choice ever to be this team’s captain, NOT get that honor, he wasn’t even named an alternate. How in the hell is that possible?

And was it really so hard to choose ONE captain? Apparently so, because Peters named TWO. Staal, who didn’t want that burden a year ago, and Justin Faulk, who’s yet to play anywhere near his All-Star level, are sharing the responsibility.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

We went into the off-season needing a top 1 center and another top 6 forward. We went into the season needing a top 1 center and another top 6 forward. The hope that a couple of on the roster would step up and fill the role hasn't happened. We went out to get veteran leadership and then ignored him when we handed out letters.

We all knew that the off season acquisitions were not going to generate a significant single goal scorer but hoped that more balance would generate more goals from the rest of the personnel. That hasn't happened. We do not know what deals RF was chasing and what the offers were. Myself and Remkin have stated previously that sometimes you may need to pay more to cement a trade for a high quality goal scorer and we certainly could of afforded to do so. IMO RF did not make an offer that was considered an over pay or else we would of had a new face in the organization. Considering the horrific start, if I was RF I would be looking at every option including a possible over pay. Firing BP isn't going to solve anything. A new coach would bring a new system and learning curve to the team which unless we are willing to throw in the towel on the season it isn't the move to make. I'm open to any player personnel changes that BP and RF wants to make and they should consider doing so quickly or they are sending the "we like our team" message. Wanted Go scorers for hire.

6 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

Kyle Turris is available. What would it take to get that deal done?  Seems he wants 7 years at $6M per, which doesn’t seem unreasonable though the term is a little long. I’d love to know that Ron Francis is kicking the tires on this one. 

Its a little long when you consider he’ll be 29 next year.  His 50-60 points a season is nice but I don’t think he’ll do that well until he’s 36.

32 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

Kyle Turris is available. What would it take to get that deal done?  Seems he wants 7 years at $6M per, which doesn’t seem unreasonable though the term is a little long. I’d love to know that Ron Francis is kicking the tires on this one. 

Way to long of a term. Not at  his age. Been there done that

5 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Way to long of a term. Not at  his age. Been there done that

I don’t disagree. But the first four years could be what the team needs. Nashville was likely prepared to do it. I don’t want to overreact to what’s going on now, but this team just looks mediocre right now, and that’s all too familiar for those of us who have followed this team for the last few years. I look at VGK this year. For a team that has never played together, is working with a new coach, learning new systems, is on its fourth goalie, and basically is comprised of players that weren’t wanted by their own teams, they have had early season success the Canes haven’t been able to achieve despite years of building. 

Turris would, I think, be a year or two older than Jordan Staal at the end of their respective contracts.  And they’ll both be too old at the end of these deals to justify their salaries. I guess I’d just like to see a move to improve the team in the near term before the moving vans show up. 

12 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

I don’t disagree. But the first four years could be what the team needs. Nashville was likely prepared to do it. I don’t want to overreact to what’s going on now, but this team just looks mediocre right now, and that’s all too familiar for those of us who have followed this team for the last few years. I look at VGK this year. For a team that has never played together, is working with a new coach, learning new systems, is on its fourth goalie, and basically is comprised of players that weren’t wanted by their own teams, they have had early season success the Canes haven’t been able to achieve despite years of building. 

Turris would, I think, be a year or two older than Jordan Staal at the end of their respective contracts.  And they’ll both be too old at the end of these deals to justify their salaries. I guess I’d just like to see a move to improve the team in the near term before the moving vans show up. 

I think many of us would like to see a change but this organization is not going to extend a 7 year contract to someone who would be 35 at the end of the contract. The organization would have to have a higher caliber of player to extend a 7 year contract. Jordan's contract has been under scrutiny for years and was done in the drunken JR era. I think the only way RF extends a 7 year contract is for a John Tavares type player and even then he would have a hard time doing it.:P

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

The era of Semin 2.0 is upon us.

Who is the new Semin? I don't see guys not trying. I just see a bunch of guys that don't have the talent to compete. Just a bunch of third liners. With the exception of Skinner, I doubt we have a single player that would be a first liner on any team in the Metro division.

Before we choose the nuclear option we should note we are only 4 points out of a playoff spot. It can be turned around. You don't want to throw out everything you have worked for but selectively identify the problem and fix it.  For me that is adding a quality center.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I really don't think it's unreasonable to at least try Wallmark and Zykov for a few games based on their showing so far.  One or the other even, but just something.

At this point CC I think it is our only option.Fix what we have which may include bringing up Zykov or Wallmark. I prefer Zykov as he has more ability in going to the net. He scored for us last year when he came up by going to the net then he became injured.Maybe by him going to the net the others may follow.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Before we choose the nuclear option we should note we are only 4 points out of a playoff spot. It can be turned around. You don't want to throw out everything you have worked for but selectively identify the problem and fix it.  For me that is adding a quality center.

The nuclear option really isn't an option at this point in time. RF is very calculated and firing a coach at this point in the season really is not in his DNA. Watch him prove me wrong. I don't see adding a quality center as an option this early in the season either unless someone is in the doghouse in their organization, No team has thrown in the towel yet being only 15 games into the season and I'm not convinced any team would give up a top 3 wing or center for what we could trade. The only one I know of that might be a possibility is Alex Galchenyuk who has been in the doghouse most of his career in Montreal. He is warming up though with 2 goals and an assist in the last 5 games. With that being said I think we are stuck with what we have for now and fixing our issues which may include a Checker or 2.

I'd bring up Wallmark and Zykov and sit Ryan and McGinn or Jooris. Make the message a little louder.

If I had to pick one, I'd also go with Zykov not only due to net front, but he's got more goals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Honestly, I think the team needs some kind of trade to shake things up and bring in something that is missing.  A coaching change isn't going to do that.  A coaching change may end up being made, but the group on the ice is missing something.

Yeah. In Philly, we called it atty-tood.

In the off season and pre season we discussed the need for Goal tending, tightening up the D obtaining a 1C and top 6 forward. As time progressed we signed Darling, TVR. Jooris. Williams and Kruger. The 1C was never obtained.   Williams spelled the top 6 guy. RF later went on to say that he is open to a top 9 guy if available. If the 1C was obtained all centers could slot down one and make us much stronger. The question I have did RF and BP realize we needed more offense going into pre season? I'm starting to wonder if this led to the extended look at Necas? Were they hoping they may of  caught lightning in a bottle with Necas? Were they hoping they had a Clayton Keller who we saw last night?.